Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H110 with #2 alloy bullets in a 44 magnum

H110 with #2 alloy bullets in a 44 magnum

How do you think #2 alloy will work in a 44 magnum? Lyman 429421 casts at 254 grains. Gonna try H110 first. My 44 is a Dan Wesson with an eight inch heavy barrel. With Sierra 240 grain hollow points and H110 it is the most accurate revolver that I have seen.
    Elmo
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!

Boolit Master

There's no reason to think it won't won't work and work well.
    Lyman #2 alloy is pretty much a standard. It's a little harder than needed for everyday use, but, would shine for large animals such as; moose, bison, bear or elk.
    I sort of view it as a rich mans alloy.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I certainly am not a rich man.I have about 50 pounds left over from my black powder silhouette days. It worked really good in my 45-70 Browning high wall replica. No leading and really good accuracy.
    Elmo
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.

It should work fine. So should 1 part #2 to (up to and maybe over) 2 parts pure. Just depends on what you are trying to put holes in. FWIW, I use 50/50 COWW and pure in our Marlin carbine for plinking and Whitetail.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Vendor Sponsor

I favor 50/50+2% over #2, especially with soft lube like Felix. I would suggest to soften it up a little if you get any leading.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the years I have had several misfires with H110 (23.5 gr) under the 429421 cast of WWs, #2 and linotype with standard and magnum primers. The primer fires with the bullet being pushed into the forcing cone and barrel without ignition of the H110. In all but one instance the bullet tied up the cylinder because it was lodged between the cylinder and the barrel. In one instance the bullet went far enough into the barrel for the cylinder to rotate. Firing the next cartridge could have proved very detrimental had I not caught it. These vents occurred in different revolvers so it was not firearm related.

I do not believe a 429421 has enough mass for 100% reliable ignition of H110. Some one will probably post they have fired a bajillion rounds w/o a single misfire. That may be the case but I haven't. This is just a simple warning of what could happen. With the 429421 I use 2400, 4227 and Bluedot for magnum level loads as they do not have the ignition problems H110 does.

I do use H110 with my 270 gr GC'd cast bullets (429244 and 429640HP) and have not had any ignition problems with those bullets. At 270 gr they obviously have enough bullet mass for proper ignition as does any heavier cast bullet.

Just a warning to be careful, especially if you shoot any rapid DA. If you choose to use H110 under the 429421 and have no recoil or an apparent misfire don't pull the trigger again.

Larry Gibson

I use W296/H110 @23 grs with the 240/245 gr bullet that tip the scale over 250 grs. Bullet sized to .430" Must use a Magnum primer. I use WLP.

Neck tension holding the bullet , along with crimp, need to keep the bullet from moving to early. Just measure a sized case before and after seating a bullet. It should expand a minimum of .002" for good neck tension.

Some one will probably post they have fired a bajillion rounds w/o a single misfire.
    Many, but not a "bajillion".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	196023I loaded six for a test with 22 gr. h110, Federal Brass, and Federal LP Mag primers. Good crimp, and .003 expansion of case after seating the bullet. I an just going to shoot these at a target and see how they function. If all goes well I will get the chronograph (Ohler 35P with 3 sky screens) and see some numbers and what the groups are. I usually shoot from the creedmoore position at 50 meters.

All six fired normally, no hint of squib. No signs of over pressure and best of all not a trace of leading. Very loud. I am happy. No target just shot for function.
    Elmo

Boolit Grand Master

"Over the years I have had several misfires"

Probably should have included that I never had the first misfire until several hundred such loads were fired. Again, not saying not to use H110.....just saying be aware of a potential problem.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

When I shot silhouette back in the 70's I burned up a number of 8 lb. kegs of 296 with 429421 cast out of WW's + tin and bullet weights were around 253 grs, I was loading 25/296 at the time. I had no squibs and excellent accuracy. That said I did have fairly high extreme spreads in my velocities over the chrono. I couple years ago I tried some max loads of Blue Dot and got more uniform ballistics with excellent accuracy. I no longer even own a .44 mag but if I did would probably go the BD route for 1200-1300 fps loads with 429421.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

W296/H110 powder is not for reduced loads, as most all know. Reduced powder charges may produce squibs.

Banned

never had a single issue with lighting off 110 unless I used a standard primer. I exclusively use cci 350s with it anymore and in a 44 mag with a 250 grain bullet keep velocitys up around 1200 fps or more. As to #2 it is a great alloy at any handgun velocity. Its more accurate then softer alloys even at pop gun velocitys and its strong enough and hard enough to work at magnum velocitys. I probably use more of it (and alloys mixed at about the same hardness) then all other alloys combined.

I had a chance to shoot a few today between showers. I suppose I have gotten old(70) and cant do too good. Dan Wesson 44M 8" barrel. Load FC brass, Fed large pistol mag primers, 22 grains H 110. No chronograph yet, weather is too lousey. 4 in 2.9 inch and a flyer at 50 meters. It used to put 5 in just over an inch( 240 Sierra HP) with 22.5 grains same powder. I don't think the flyer was me. My shooting position was the creedmoore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1400.jpg  
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-23-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Addition