WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rechamber 44Mag Shakari H&R?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Rechamber 44Mag Shakari H&R?

I always wanted the 45/70 version, but never saw one for sale. A couple of years ago, I came across a 44Mag version and had a pocketful of money and picked it up, thinking it would be a good 444 Marlin project.

I then found out that the Shakaris had a cast iron frame, so I canned that and used i as a plinker.

A friend at the range was given a shot of it one day and drove me mad until I swapped it for one of his rifles.

He has since broken his neck and recovered, but wants to get out of shooting and has asked me to take it back, which I will do.

I probably should leave it alone and just use it as a plinker and beginner's rifle for newbies at the range, but still curious about a conversion, but to a black powder cartridge. Any suggestions?

One side of me says that they were strong enough to take a 45/70, therefore they should handle a 444. I know I would reload for it and keep it sensible, but I can see a future owner cramming in a hot Hornady or similar load and blasting away with it.

I have squillions of 44 Special cases at home and if I was 100% sensible, I would make up plinking loads for it and leave it at that.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Perma-Banned
    re-chambered to .444 & BP loaded to 45-70 or 44-77 levels and you'd have an awesome gun that would be loads of fun to shoot. but the rub is as you say, if you or your widow sell it & some numb between the ears jackalope tries to make a 444Mag out of it things could get interestin' in a hurry.

Boolit Master
    do you like pain? then rechamber it. I had one in .45-70 it was brutal even with 350gr bullets and Springfield loads.

Boolit Bub

Rechamber 44Mag Shakari H&R?

444 marlin is too high pressure for the Shikari cast iron receiver.

The 45-70 Shikari was for trapdoor level
    Ammo not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Trophy Tom; 05-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just load black powder in .44 special or mag cases? A few threads on this site have enough info to get you started safely.

Shikaris are cool. Brother had one and I had a Ruger #3-both 45-70. We could hit coke cans at 100 yds regular enough to keep doing it. The H&R was more pleasant.

As my old friend used to say when talking about wasting money on rubbish cars in the 60s "Sleeve it" he would say, 'Sleeve it alone!" HaHa! He had his feet a bit more firmly planted on the ground than the rest of us hormone driven wastrels.

I have a Big Lube Mav Dutchman mould, which is perfect for black powder plinking. Dick Rhody, the Big Lube guy calls it the 44Long Russian. I might go shoot some tall Russkie ammo when I get it.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Tom View Post
    444 marlin is too high pressure for the Shikari cast iron receiver.

The 45-70 Shikari was for trapdoor level
    Ammo not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are loads in the 30K or less pressure for that 444 case ,I did this 44-56 and is doing well.. Just be aware of the cup-pressure and you will be fine........

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    I think you will find the Shikari has 38" twist rifling. You might find that at BP velocity it will not stabilize a very heavy bullet. Sort of the worst of all worlds.
    EDG

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I have a lightweight 44 boolit mould somewhere, a rush of blood group buy for here I think. I'd better start digging.

Boolit Buddy
    The Shikari has a cast frame. The more limiting factor is the silver soldered lug. It is not welded. The slow twist is a third bummer. They are good rifles. Just have a few quirks that need accomodation to make them run.

I have 2 ..................one with a 20'' barrel with a 1:38..............and the other with a 26'' and a twist of 1:18 .The 20" I use a 209gr. cast boolit!

Ol DeuceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3550.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	196021
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 05-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Do the Best with What you have !