Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stomperud Krag

Since I have other iron to play with, I'll leave it unfired and slowly gather the needed parts.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps not so slowly. I have a front sight coming from Norway, and an 1894 stock set coming from Poland. It would be nice to find a stock already shortened, the long 1894 stocks have to be hard to find, and I hate to cut it.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 06-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    (ahem).

I believe this is referred to as being a "self enabler",,,,,,,,

More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    (ahem).

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    (ahem).

Maybe Rich, I'll have to try using some of that good "insight and effect" to evaluate the situation. After reflecting a bit: Hi, I'm Bob and I'm a Kragaholic!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 06-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Parts have arrived from Poland (1894 full length stock) and Norway (front sight with adjustment screw). I have the rest! Still hate to cut down a full length stock.

-Thomas Jefferson

Very cool! I will love to hear how it shoots. As for the guide rib and bolt handle bearing on the receiver I suspect by the 1940s the manufacturers were much better at controlling dimensional buildup and could better fit the bolt. I've suspected that the US Krag guide ribs were relieved to facilitate manufacturing and eliminate hand fitting the bolts circa 1890s at the expense of reducing the action strength.

Since it has that black phosphate coating on it, and has been worked back and forth a bit, I can see that it appears to bear on that bolt handle a bit much. The locking lug and guide rib are barely touching. I would think that might make the bolt hard to open with a full pressure load. Nothing a little stoning wouldn't fix. I have one US Krag that has the bolt fitted so that the guide rib bears. It's an oldie, with the full width guiderib and may have been handfitted early in production. Or, as some have pointed out, perhaps they stretch over the years so that the guiderib bears.

-Thomas Jefferson