MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a 500lb lead ingot

Boolit Master
    You might try a sawzall

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    You might try a sawzall
    Or he could just give it to me and be done with it! I'm such a nice guy I'll even send him a gift.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    You might try a sawzall
    Why? He's already got a log splitter.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    Log splitter works good. Lead cuts easier than splitting oak...your biggest challenge will be holding that big ingot in place...D

thinking I could place it length wise on the end of forks of the skid steer at close to balance point and ratchet strap it down and feed it into the splitter

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Or he could just give it to me and be done with it! I'm such a nice guy I'll even send him a gift.
    LOL,...I'm in Alaska,..but if you wanna come pick it up, you can have it

Boolit Master
    I was reading this and it "Came" to me why I don't ever git any thing like this. I'm being punished because I live in "DEMOCRAT" Illinois. Even being down here in Central Southern Illinois those "BRAIN DEAD" northern IDIOTS cause us grief.......!!!!!! Succeed from the state.....

Boolit Master
    P.S. I have a ingot laying by my back yard Dog Pen that scaled out 97 Lbs. It has handle like ends and has some letter and marks for codes on it. I thought it was for Linotype machine.

Linotype ingots weigh about 18 to 20 pounds.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Just get a bigger pot...

Nice score. I hope the log splitter works well

Perma-Banned
    Log splitter first, Sawzall second

Boolit Grand Master

Any of the above methods discussed should work, just choose the one that you have tools for. Myself, I would hoist it up using the I-Beam in my shop and lower it into my smelting pot. My pot would not hold the whole 500# but it would be close. The bad thing about large chunks of lead is how to handle them. Having things like tractors, skid steers, fork lifts, hoist, ect make it easier.

I think the hardest part in melting that down would be the size. Not because it would be hard to handle but it would take a lot of heat to get that to the melting point.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

No doubt it would melt a little slower than something that had full contact in the pot, but my pot would have it melted in 20 minutes or so. The slowest thing I ever melted was a bunch of 5/8in bolts that had lead threads. About 4 oz of lead per bolt and very little contact with the sides and bottom of the pot. Took awhile.

Boolit Master
    I have a 65 lb block that was some type of counter weight that I can't generate enough heat to melt down , I have dropped it in my pot 2-3 times but it sucks up the heat and freezes up the whole pot . I am glad you all brought this topic up , I think it's time to saw it into little pieces . The weather is about right to do some outside cooking and I have accumulated a few hundred pounds that needs to be cleaned up .

Boolit Master

Sometimes I get lead in larger bricks or pigs. The bricks are small enough to fit in my smelting pot, so I can recast them into smaller ingots if necessary. I've tried using a hatchet (as a wedge) and a hammer to drive it though the brick. It works, but it is a lot of work. A log splitter would make short work of something like that, but around here, a fireplace is decorative (i.e. a complete waste of wall space), so I have no excuse to buy a hydraulic splitter. The pigs are too thick to try splitting by hand and they're too big to fit in my smelting pot.

One thing that I've wondered about is whether steel "wheel" could be created that would fit on my truck and I could just drive over the chunk of lead to possibly shear it off after a couple of passes. If I stumble across a piece of 1/2" steel that is around 33" in diameter, I might consider trying it.

Boolit Master
    Navyvet, if you had a flat thick plate of steel to use as a ramp, you might could weld a wedge on one end, and thus make a pressure splitter.

Boolit Master
    I am going to try the reciprocating saw with a wood blade .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I am going to try the reciprocating saw with a wood blade .
    A demolition blade works very well. It may not clog up as quickly either. Go slow.

Sawzall has worked fine for me with smaller things.

Boolit Master
    Weed burner. You'll have it done in no time. Harbor fright has them for like fifteen bucks. Don't do it over concrete. I know what your thinking. But it will be a bear to get it off the concrete. Do it over dirt or better yet a scrap piece of plywood or even cardbaord. That way any drops can be salvaged too. Go to the thrift store and get some stainless bowls and such for catching the liquid metal. Don't make them too big. You're welcome. A sawsall is terrible for cutting big lead. The blade will bind. It will bend. And after a couple blades there is the price of the weed burner. Don't even bother. I've cut pure big lead like that with a chainsaw. It can be done but it ain't ideal, you got all those little lead chips piled around everywhere. I already plowed this ground years ago and the weed burner works fan fricken tastic. Get a scrap piece of gutter or channel iron to channel that there lead to your mold. As a benefit that weed burner can be used to cool off the water that is in your other smaller scrap lead you are rendering down. Just give the pile a blast and you can see the condensation boil off.
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 05-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast