RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy AR-15

Boolit Master

This is a great thread! Scharf's trigger tutorial post is so informative, as are many others. I vote sticky.

I have little to add except that for general use, I really like the magpul adjustable stocks that incorporate a friction device that in my experience makes them as solid as a fixed stock. Anyone else use these, and are there any disadvantages to them compared to a fixed stock for competition?
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My cloverleaf avatar is a group I fired this past January from my factory built POF P415 with a 14.5" barrel with their pinned brake that takes it to a legal 16" using 60g vmax and benchmark. Lake city brass and federal primers. If you want my exact load let me know and I'll post it. It chronied at 2850fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	196491

Views:	22 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	196490 this pic is at two hundred yards with the last two rounds I had that day. It was -15 degrees with 20-30 mile per hour winds when I shot these groups and got frost bit in the process. My lead sled kept the rifle still enough though. I was heading out to Arizona on a predator hunt the next day and wanted to get my rifle sighted in. I was shooting .4" groups with the same load till I ditched the 4.5lb factory trigger and replaced it with a 3 lb timney. Didn't have a 300 yard range where I was at but I can tell you I dumped a few coyotes out to 450 like the hammer of Thor and left a couple 50 cent sized holes in and out of a few. I mounted a Nikon 3.5x14 pro staff 5 BDC recital scope on it with a larue quick detach scope mount. The spot on BDC program is spot on for calling the drops. I replaced the moe stock with cheek weld version they offer on their 308 models. It helps my eye line up with my scope and that's an old 20 round clip my uncle gave years ago he had from being in the service. This rifle is awesome but that factory brake will blow your ear drums out! I shot a few times at a running yote and the inside of my ear had blood in it. I ended up wearing ear plugs the rest of my trip while hunting with that thing. Ill be getting a tax stamp in the future to suppress it. I had one other AR years ago, a bushmaster targeter varminter, the first year they came out which if I recall was around 2000'. I could shoot a five shot group all in one little hole at a 100 yards but it kept failing to feed even after several different mags so I traded it for a Remington ltr 223 that will clover with about 10 different reloads I've cooked up.

Views:	23 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	196492Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	196493
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-29-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Master

you know I have 2# of Benchmark on my bench and I have know idea why I have never used it before maybe it's a sing so yes whats your load
    and do you have a window for the load min/max
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    you know I have 2# of Benchmark on my bench and I have know idea why I have never used it before maybe it's a sing so yes whats your load
    and do you have a window for the load min/max
    The ltr, bushmaster, and POF clover leaves all came from using benchmark along with noslers BTs and Vmaxes. It's a magic powder for me.

I found my data... 60g Vmax,25g of benchmark, seating depth 2.260", federal AR match primers, and lake city brass.

I normally just go in my hornady or nosler book(which ever bullet I'm using) and work up loads starting at the minimum and load up 3-6 bullets in .2 grain increments all the way up to max. I do this in three our four different powders and then sit at the range a half a day trying them out. Eventually if me and my rifle is capable at least one of the loads alway clover for me....knock on wood. I learned years ago not to worry about how fast or slow the bullet going because if you can get it to group like this your not going to miss and just need to figure out your drops and practice. I have about fifteen rifles, a Thompson center omega muzzle loader, a Remington 7600, and even a savage 210 20 gauge that will shoot clovers when I can hold them steady enough.

If I remember I'm at 25.2 or 25.6g with a 40g nosler ballistic tip out of my ltr and was 25.4 or 25.5g with the same bullet in my bushmaster. Either way I think the 25g threshold in benchmark has been magic in my 5.56/223's.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-28-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    The ltr, bushmaster, and POF clover leaves all came from using benchmark along with noslers BTs and Vmaxes. It's a magic powder for me.

I found my data... 60g Vmax,25g of benchmark, seating depth 2.260", federal AR match primers, and lake city brass.

I normally just go in my hornady or nosler book(which ever bullet I'm using) and work up loads starting at the minimum and load up 3-6 bullets in .2 grain increments all the way up to max. I do this in three our four different powders and then sit at the range a half a day trying them out. Eventually if me and my rifle is capable at least one of the loads alway clover for me....knock on wood. I learned years ago not to worry about how fast or slow the bullet going because if you can get it to group like this your not going to miss and just need to figure out your drops and practice. I have about fifteen rifles, a Thompson center omega muzzle loader, a Remington 7600, and even a savage 210 20 gauge that will shoot clovers when I can hold them steady enough.

thank you I also have a T/C Omega it's outstanding rifle Attachment 196494 thats 3 250gr shock-waves over 150gr of Pyrodex @ 100 yards now if i can get my AR to shoot as good

thank you I also have a T/C Omega it's outstanding rifle Attachment 196494 thats 3 250gr shock-waves over 150gr of Pyrodex @ 100 yards
    Lol...that use to be my most accurate rifle before I started getting into reloading about six months later. Mine will shoot .5" with your load and all go in the same hole with the 300g shockwave with 3 50g pellets of tripple 7. Same load through two of my buddies omega and encore shoot .5" and .8"...shot by me. The bullet blows through Whitetail like they haven't even been hit and they normally average about 60 yards before piling up. I won't change the bullet through because I know when I pull the trigger it's dead. I have mine set up to shoot 3.75" high at a hundred yards and have a Nikon monarch gold 2.5x10 BDC mounted on it. Did this back in the day when the BDC first came out so all you could do was read the direction in the box( and when everyone thought muzzle loaders were 100 yard guns). I called Nikon who helped me figure the drops. All circles are dead nuts to 350yards! I shot a 1 5/8" at two hundred, 4" at 250yds, 4" at 300 yds, and the last circle is 350 yards...which the groups opened up for me to 12"...6"from center all the way around. I set it up for elk hunting years ago. I think TCs black sabots are the trick. I've tried the hornady tail sabots that grouped 1.5" and the no tail hornadys grouped an inch. TCs 200g bullets 4" groups and the bonded around 2.5". Both of these had harder yellow sabots. I posted pics on predatormasters years ago of the groups.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-28-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Boolit Master

just thought i would update just pulled the Trigger on this http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger

Boolit Grand Master

It will be a huge step up from the stock mil-spec unit. Be sure to let us know how things progress!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

That i will it will probably be a few weeks but i will also thought i would add this link if someone is looking for a new trigger some good deals out there
    today https://gun.deals/category/gun-parts?caliber=1556

Boolit Master

Nicely done Luckydog. Let us know how you like it once it is installed.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I have dibs on the Dillo dust! I just ran out of my 2nd bottle. They sent me one with my mount and another with my dot sight ring attachment. The cAn openers are cool but I'm afraid to use n scratch them. I dont like 2 stage triggers so I went with a timney. If it's larue, it's as good as it's going to get.

Boolit Master

Ok what is dillo dust

Ok what is dillo dust
    Larue gives you a free bottle with every order. It's meat rub/seasoning believe it or not. The stuff tastes awesome.

Boolit Master

dillo dust aint bad.

Boolit Master

new trigger and steak rub that's kewl

Boolit Mold
    I have a rifle that will shoot 1 MOA all day long, it’s a .22lr Anschutz Match 54.The AR-15 system is well known as an “inherently accurate” system. It is possible to have a very accurate AR-15 that is not really expensive.

Vendor Sponsor

Ok what is dillo dust
    I am not EVEN going to type what I thought read
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I just got a email my trigger is on it's way
    And LOL may have been thinking the same thing

Boolit Master

just thought that i would update well I put my new Larue trigger in just love it Wow is it nice I loaded up some
    Hornady 68gr match with CFE 223 I may have found a load it likes this is at 100 yards Attachment 198831

just thought that i would update well I put my new Larue trigger in just love it Wow is it nice I loaded up some
    Hornady 68gr match with CFE 223 I may have found a load it likes this is at 100 yards Attachment 198831
    A good trigger makes all the difference in the world

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast