WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 38-55 brass to 375 win

Boolit Mold

38-55 brass to 375 win

Hi! I want to load some c.b. for my win94 in 375 win. Like everybody else in my case i can't find brass. I finally bought a 100 starline short 38-55 brass. I was thinking of trimming the cases to 375 win length but it seems to work without trimming. Should i load without trimming with 38-55 data or?? What should i do to shoot this gun. It's been almost 15 years since i shot it. I got a Lyman 264 gr mold. Any help please?

I shoot and load short starline 38-55 in my win 375 BB. I flared a case to accept a bullet and it would chamber fully. This is how i checked if i could potentially have had a problem with the throat being shorter than the short 38-55. Works in my gun, but be careful and check for yourself. Also, I keep my loads to 38-55 data. I don't load the 38-55 brass to 375 win levels.

David
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

I use Starline 38-55 brass trimmed to .375 spec's. My usual load for deer is out of the Lyman 49th for a .375 Winchester. It's the max load of Reloader 7 and a Sierra 200 grain SP. Very accurate, very lethal and absolutely no pressure signs. I contacted Starline regarding the interchangeability of the two and their response I have included. I've never even so much as lost a case after more than a dozen reloads. FWIW I think Winchester just made a run of .375 brass

Jeff,

We hope to be offering .375 Winchester brass by the end of the year.

Our .38-55 has been used by a lot of people in the .375 but we have never tested it into .375 Winchester pressures.

Regards,

Hunter Pilant
    Process Manager
    Chief Ballistician
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 05-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    That is what i was looking for.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

A friend and I have been using Starline brass in his model 94 big-bore .375. We did a chamber cast and his will take brass in the .2.080" to 2.085" length range. The brass will shrink in length on the first firing. We have been using the long brass, trim to 2.092", fire once and it shrinks to about 2.085". We have been shooting either Red Dot in the 8 to 8.5 grain range or Unique in the 10 or so grain range. We have been sticking to 38-55 load levels. His rifle is very accurate. The Accurate 38-235A bullet fills the long parallel section of the throat quite well. His rifle has a throat diameter of about .3803" to .3804" and we have been sizing to .3795". The bore in his rifle measures .3772".
    Hope this helps,
    Rick