Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Decapping pins

Decapping pins

Need to order some and I see that there is a 50 pack by rcbs and since I like bulk deals, this appeals to me. Problem is I have hornady dies, anyone know if the rcbs ones will work in hornady dies?
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Just recently ran into this for a 444 Hornady die that takes the headed pins. The Hornady pin head was about .124" and the RCBS pin head was about .138" and wouldn't fit. So, I chucked it up in a drill and hit it with a dremel until it did.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm relatively new to reloading, 5 years. And I'm not understanding the need to replace the pins so much you need to buy in bulk. I have a Hornady LnL progressive. Each caliber I reload has it's own decapper/sizer die. I did damage one. Something I did. Hornady replaced the pin and related parts for free.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS sells both straight and headed pins. Know what you are getting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moleman: Great, exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

XDROB, I broke my second one last night and even though hornady would likely replace it I would rather not be at a stand still while I wait on a 25 cent pin to ship. I've never broke a Lee pin but this is my second hornady pin in a year. And the bulk part of it is I just like doing things that way. I like knowing I'll never run out of something especially for 15 dollars.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Buddy
    I get it. I had to ask. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If squirrel daddy makes one for your dieset, you wont need 50

Boolit Master
    I bought the 5 pack needing one for an older RCBS 7.62x54r die with a collet type holder for the pin. As usual I put them in the black hole, couldn't find them when I needed. Went to the local ACE hardware lookin for a steel pin and the older clerk said what size. Wasn't sure and showed him the depriming stem and he said use these.... a box of hardened high performance trim nails. They are 2" 6d nails and look blued. They measure .073+ and have of course a point and a small head. I don't remember much other than cutting with a dremel cutoff wheel and it worked fine. There are several hundred or more in the 1lb box. Maze Nails is the brand.

Still havn't located the black hole...
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

I've maybe broken a dozen or so all together in 25+ years of reloading. I was making a new decapping stem and realized I'd used the last pin a while ago from the five pack I got at least 10 years ago. The local gun store only had the 50 packs and I figured what the hey I'll never be in this boat again. Of course I forgot to get a bag of small dia ones. Tried the fit on the 444 marlin die and found the head dia difference and noticed the RCBS is a bit longer. Seemed to work just fine once the head was sized down .015". Used the straight ones for the home made stem and loctited it in like a LEE. Except for being a little brighter the knurling even matches the old Herters die.

Boolit Buddy
    Needle bearings come in various diameters and lengths; available locally or the net in 100 count bags. Cost about 2 cents each.

Lee uses them for depriming, it's where I first saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Need to order some and I see that there is a 50 pack by rcbs and since I like bulk deals, this appeals to me. Problem is I have hornady dies, anyone know if the rcbs ones will work in hornady dies?
    If you registered your dies, assuming you purchased new, Hornady will send you the parts you broke. Also learned from Hornady different brands of brass, same caliber, can require different diameter decapping pins.

Boolit Master
    Deleted , edited & moved to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...35#post4051735

I am still curious how you were breaking the pins. I have been following this topic since it was started then coincidentally, I felt as though I was going to be breaking some this morning. The other post was here for a few hours, but after some thought I thought it would be better to have it's own topic. NOt being impatient, but it might be easier for someone else to find the answers if I get any there if they ever have the same trouble.
    G'luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 05-20-2017 at 04:15 PM.