Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the most accurate factory rifle you own?

It's a toss up between my Remington 700V in 243
    and my Post 64 Win 70 that's a swap barrel.

I have several times out of each rifle had 5 shot bullet holes touching groups
    at 300 yards.

I was talking to a Game Warden today who was braggin on his new Sauer that shot groups like that at 200 without trying he said, although he lamented his Tikka that was 1/2 MOA rifle until he started "fixing it" which turned it into a 2 MOA rifle. Such is life.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Winchester Model 52 target rifle... 22 long rifle that will put bullets through the same hole at 50 yards... I love that rifle.
    Bo
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Tikka 223

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Remington 700 5R in .223 that will legitimately shoot 1/4 MOA or better with the right ammo. Current favourite is 55 grain Sako gamehead, it'll drop rounds in the same hole if you do your part.

Boolit Master
    An unmodified Rem 700 Classic in .223; 1/4" @ 100 yds with very specific handloads - w/ Hornady VMax.

Thanks everyone keep them coming.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

I just realized I have serious reading comprehension issues. The topic is Factory rifles. Forget about the Remington 700 and go with the DPMS LR 308.

Early 1980's Remington 788 in 22/250. This was in my early rifle shooting days, also my early reloading stage as I shot the group with ammunition made with a LEE kit (hammer slammer). At that time, I didn't save or measure groups. I sure wish I had now though. One 5 shot group at a 100 yards could be covered with the end of a cigarette butt.

Our gun club not long afterwards hosted an event on bench rest shooting. A gentleman drove 200 miles to introduce us to how it was done and all the fine rifles and reloading items. I'd never seen or heard of a rail gun rifle for bench rest until that day, actually haven't seen one since. Anyway, by the end of the day I just wasn't that impressed. Not one group did he fire my Remington 788 couldn't have done just as well on any given day.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I picked up a like new Remington 78 (like a field grade 700ADL) for $170 with a harris bipod and a bushnell scope around 15 years ago. All my 30-06 cases were beat up from shooting in Garands so I got the cheapest ammo at Bass Pro Shops which was plain jane Federal 168gr which was on sale to sight in with after replacing the scope. After adjusting the Redfield scope to point of aim it put them all in the same hole on several different targets. Picked up 8 more boxes of that ammo on the way home and that is the only centerfire gun I don't reload for. I only use it for deer hunting and only shoot that ammo in it. Closest shot so far was about 25yds and the farthest was 242yds all one shot kills.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have a couple of Tikka 595's that are solid 3/8 MOA for five shot groups.
    Yeah, I've got one and it is a tack driver. Came with a 3lb trigger out of the box. Love that rifle. Someday I'm going to put a wood stock on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    The most accurate factory rifle I ever owned was a Remington 722.
    But the Most Accurate factory rifle I currently own is a cheapy--a Ruger American in 308 that I bought after falling and shattering the butt stock on a 106 year old 1899 Savage. It will put 3 shots into an inch and an eighth, at 100 yards, repeatedly and with out fuss. Often, 2 shots will be touching or nearly so. It has a Redfield 2x7 and factory mounts with the cheapest Rings they had at the local fun store. I really should sit down and work up some loads to see just how accurate it really is.

I had to send it back to the factory, or rather the first one I got had to go back: the fine fellows at Ruger had not finish reamed the chamber and it would not accept 308 or 7.62 ammo, though it would easily chamber a 300 savage cartridge. I had to go through a second waiting period and pay a second registration fee to the good folks in Sacramento to get this one, but it is a sweet shooter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Formerly owned? A Savage 112V single shot .220 Swift. Amazingly accurate with smoking speed.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    I had a SAKO in 243 early 80's. Wasn't a gopher safe at 300 yards. Heavy barrel and a 12x power target scope. But like all things, long gone now. Today the best shooting factory rifle I have is Winchester Model 52. Long heavy barrel aperture sights good quality ELEY 22LR. I do my thing and I have had 10 shots that will hold a 22LR suspended by the rim, when dangled through the hole. It still makes me smile when I bring in my targets and after 50 rounds, the guy next to me at the range asked "where did the other shots go?" or 3 weeks ago the guy on the other lane said "those are 5 nice shots on that target" then I showed him the empty box. He asked how could I do that without a scope?
    Have a fantastic long(if you live on my side of the 49th) weekend!!!

Early '80's Ruger 10/22, even with iron sights, if I aim at it, I'll hit it!
    I'll also throw another vote for the DPMS LR-308, IMO, one of THE most underrated rifles on the market today!

I have 2 factory rifles that seem to be a cut above normal. A pre 64 m70fw 308 and a Rem 722
    in 222. I don't keep any rifle that doesn't shoot exceptionally well but these two are cherries. I
    have several customs that are tack drivers but you expect that out of a custom. These are Bolt
    guns, I also have a 1895 Marlin from 60s that prints some impressive groups for a lever gun.
    At my house if it don't shoot, it must scoot. There is nothing more worthless than a inaccurate
    rifle or a dull knife.

In Remembrance

A mid 80's production Remington 700 PSS in .308 Win.
    Last year I was having problems getting any kind of consistent group from a rifle I bought and blamed it on myself but to make myself happy I grabbed the trusty PSS from the cabinet and preceded to put six shots in two holes at 100 yards. This was with the same ammo thru both rifles.
    I'm no master sharpshooter by any stretch of the word but that rifle sure makes me all warm inside.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine would be a Remington 700VLS in 22/250. Since I go into casting my own a couple of years ago, I haven't had the VLS to the range.

Boolit Buddy
    Browning Stainless Stalker 30-06 A-Bolt with BOSS. It's been too long since I've shot it to remember MOA. IIRC 200 yards, could cover group with tip of my thumb. Say, 1 inch. Which would make it 1/2 MOA. Ammo is / was 168gr Hornady BTHP or Nosler Ballistic tips. Both shot equally well, and to same point of impact.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is an early 80's, butt ugly Savage 110e in 22-250. It is a long action and those little guys look silly sitting in there.
    I did adjust the trigger on it because when I first got it, it was heavy and felt like I was pulling it down a gravel road.
    After that? 5 shots at 100 yards that could be covered with a dime and give back change.
    That was shooting out of a vice to see how accurate it really was.
    I have considered changing out the 2x4 stock, but can't bring myself to screw this gun up.
    Just off the bipod is .5moa if I do my part all day long.
    Ground squirrels fear that rifle.

Super Moderator

Mine is a 1980's stock Rem 700 (except for Timney trigger). It's a 30-06 and has a preference for light bullets and 4064 powder. The Speer 125 TNT will do 3/8" groups at 100 yds from sandbags, pretty much one ragged hole. It's way fun to shoot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast