Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 505 Yard .45 Cal Hotrod Hawken

Perma-Banned
    And the last one, Looking from my gun to my target, my target is straight above my barrel on that far ridge with the 2 Shadows, my target is in the lower shadow, i had a HELL of a time seeing the target, yesterday it was PERFECT and i was able to get a really good sight picture, today's lighting, poor target color, etc. was HORRIBLE at best.

I had fun shooting it, i am VERY CONFIDENT i can do much better, its hard to hit what you CAN'T see!! Notice the carcass/rib cage out front? Either a winter kill, or someone dumped it? I suspect the latter

Attachment 195900

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Good shooting! You load duplicates a good 45/70 load. How is the recoil in the Hawkin rifle?
    Hickok, Recoil is very mild, i have a leather lace up recoil pad on it with memory type foam packed in the Crescent butt plate. This is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Perma-Banned
    Last Pictures i posted disappeared? Ill try again

Perma-Banned
    From my target looking back at my Truck/shooting bench you can see my truck at the FAR end of the old logging cut. Again visibility was REALLY ROUGH, straight above my barrel in that shadow on the far ridge line is my target.

Attachment 195918 Attachment 195919

Boolit Master

54bore, those cresent butt plates can be "hurtful" at times. Your modification sounds a good one.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Perma-Banned
    Target pics, the first one is a clean target, you can see the sun was behind it, which meant i was looking into it.

Attachment 195920

After corrections, i started a 3 shot group, i over corrected and was shooting to high. These 2 of the 3 shot group are exactly 16 inches apart, i assume the 3rd shot slipped over the Target. All in all i am happy with it, i put 4 of my 5 shots on Target, i am confident i can better this with a target i can see. Hard to hit what you CAN'T see

Attachment 195924

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    54bore, those cresent butt plates can be "hurtful" at times. Your modification sounds a good one.
    Hickok, I am a FIRM DISBELIEVER in the Crescent butt plate, They might look cool and be 'period correct' looking, But in my opinion they are an EXTREMELY piss poor design, My favorite fix is Idahoron's Hotrod Hawken

Perma-Banned
    I rematched this at 5am this morning, Solid white painted target with black bull, visibility was really good, my target stood out like a beacon, 3 shot 7" Group at 505 Yards, I'll take this ANY ole day!! My williams peep now has a permanent scribed mark for 500 Yards

White is DEFINITELY the way to go!
    Attachment 196036

Perma-Banned
    Target is sideways in the first pic, 2 above and the other in the upper right of the target

Attachment 196037 Attachment 196038 Attachment 196039

Boolit Master
    now you have to do it again.

Perma-Banned
    Another one from my rifle, you can really see the difference in this morning's target visibility vs last outing. And one of my permanent scribed 500 yard mark on my Williams FP Hawken. Now i need to work on 2, 3, and 400 yard settings

Attachment 196044 Attachment 196045
    Last edited by 54bore; 05-22-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    now you have to do it again.
    I definitely will be shooting these distances more n more, Can i shoot 7" At 500 yards everytime? Probably not, who knows maybe i will better it? There are a TON of factors that come in to play at this range, lighting, the color of the target, sun up in your face, heat mirage, etc. etc. DAMN Hard to hit what you CAN'T see! The slightest screw up at these ranges and its not gonna happen plain and simple, so there will be good days, and bad ones. I have put forth a LITERAL TON of time, effort, and money in to everything about my Muzzleloading, it sure is a welcoming sight to see that my time and effort put forth is paying off. In case i am being questioned about my honesty? I will get this on video, Honesty is a quality i was taught by grandparents growing up my entire young life, I absolutely DESPISE a liar!! If i tell you i did something you can take what i am saying to the bank. Folks that know me, know this well
    Last edited by 54bore; 05-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    That is really good! Being able to see the target and front sight against the target for those kinds of ranges is difficult to start with.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That is really good! Being able to see the target and front sight against the target for those kinds of ranges is difficult to start with.
    charlie b, it really is! I have shot MUCH worse groups with a scoped centerfire at this exact same spot, and i have shot better, my absolute best 500 yard group was with my 7MM-08, i shot a 3" group with it at this same spot, But that was with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scope with Rapid Z-800 Reticle, i would have been just as happy with a 20" group from my Muzzleloader with open sights/peep sights, this is proof when you get your Muzzleloader shooting true 1" groups at 100 yards and put it all together you can MOST DEFINITELY do this! There is no way i could have done this with regular buckhorn type open sights, i simply can't shoot them well. This peep sight system is what allowed me to do this. It really boils down to how well you can see your target? Even though there is a fairly large piece 8.5X11" printer paper painted black in the center of this BIG white target I actually could NOT see it well enough to hold in it, i could see it but it was REALLY faint, i just centered my fine bead Lee Shavers pin in the CENTER of the big white 3X4 foot Target and shot, and did the exact same thing each time. You have to let your rifle recoil and 'do what its gonna do' you cant grip and hang on to the forend, if you do you are defeated! I just slightly hold the forend, and after the shot i allow the rifle to 'do what it's gonna do'

This distance is EXTREME and not something very realistic, and definitely something i would never do at Big Game, but i think practicing at this kind of stuff is a good thing, with plenty of practice and being able to hit well at REALLY long distances like this, makes the shorter 150-200 yard shots a chip shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    i definitely will be shooting these distances more n more, can i shoot 7" at 500 yards everytime? Probably not, who knows maybe i will better it? There are a ton of factors that come in to play at this range, lighting, the color of the target, sun up in your face, heat mirage, etc. Etc. Damn hard to hit what you can't see! The slightest screw up at these ranges and its not gonna happen plain and simple, so there will be good days, and bad ones. I have put forth a literal ton of time, effort, and money in to everything about my muzzleloading, it sure is a welcoming sight to see that my time and effort put forth is paying off. In case i am being questioned about my honesty? I will get this on video, honesty is a quality i was taught by grandparents growing up my entire young life, i absolutely despise a liar!! If i tell you i did something you can take what i am saying to the bank. Folks that know me, know this well
    i am not doubting your honesty. I would do it several times just to prove it to myself. I enjoy this kind of shooting............ Because most say it can't be done.

Boolit Master
    Lewis, I agree. The longest Ihave shot for record was 450m with open sights, but, that was a service rifle and many years ago.

I used to shoot my contender pistol with scope at 300 and 400m but a scope is so much easier.

I agree with holding. I like to use the off hand under the buttstock when shooting off a bench. Some rifles like a bit of padding under the forearm for some reason.

One of these days I will try that kind of range again.

Great shooting!! How's the wind situation where your shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PtMD989 View Post
    Great shooting!! How's the wind situation where your shooting?

No wind at all when i am doing this, we don't get much wind here and when we do it's usually mid day to evening, i shoot early morning (daylight) and rarely get bothered with wind.

Boolit Master
    Triggerhappy 243, most of those folks who are naysayers, cant do it, or wont put the time and effort into shooting, to realize the reward it offers! I have worked up loads with a inline, that is shooting under 3", at 300yds, just for hunting, and it paid off well hunting here and out west this past two years. I also have a copy of a civil war Whitmore, fast twist 45 I built 20 year ago, shot at 500 meters at friendship, and it is very, very accurate. Shooting a .45, 430 and 500 grain slug, with 5 grease grooves, no paper patching, with a lubed fiber wad underneath, was pure poison at that distance. With the peeps, 2ffg, musket caps, I have shot2.3 inch groups at 200yds, and taken deer that far with it. Every deer shot with this heavy slug, dropped right there! On my many trips to Friendship, I took volumes of notes, of what folks were doing, loading, swaging slugs, , how they cleaned, type of glasses they wore, and asked hundreds of questions. Some things worked, some did not, but having good info can accelerate the process to get more accuracy.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Koger
    Some things worked, some did not, but having good info can accelerate the process to get more accuracy.
    A lot of wisdom right there!

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast