WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Supreme 4 die set

Lee Supreme 4 die set

I am looking at this set for loading 30/06.
    Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, it's OK. The set uses a body die, then a collet neck sizing die, a seater die, and a collet crimp die. "Normal" die sets only use a F/L sizing die that uses an expander that sizes the neck on extraction, and a seating/crimping die, and some kits include a neck sizing only die. For a new reloader perhaps the extra dies/steps aren't needed/worth the trouble and a standard die set would be better, especially if you are using a single stage press (many reloaders/shooters don't crimp 30-06 ammo, but some may if the ammo is used in a semi-auto)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I think I'd just get the lee red box 30-06 set.

I will be using a bolt action and we aren't high volume shooters.

Boolit Buddy
    You can try all different combinations and find out which one gives you the best accuracy. When I bought my 2 die set in '94, I had to make a choice; collet or FL. Now you get both in the same box....at not much more money.

Boolit Master

I use the fl die on range pickup/unknown/new brass.
    I use just the neck die on MY fired brass.
    Lee .308 4 die set
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    Lee .308 4 die set
    \

This is the answer you are looking for.

I have an '03 Springfield that I load for and shoot. I have the 4 die set. I use the collet neck sizing die on the brass that comes from my rifle. On purchased brass or range pick ups I full length size them

I have the 4 die sets in several calibers. I really like the Lee neck sizing collet die. If you use the collet neck sizing die pay close attention to the set up instructions.

Steve in N CA

P.S. Lee, if you are listening, a collet die for 7.62X54R is long overdue.
    Last edited by sghart3578; 05-19-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    Lee .308 4 die set
    My thoughts as well.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

so are you reloading for more then one rifle? if so full length die. if not just neck sizing die

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Yep, it's OK. The set uses a body die, then a collet neck sizing die, a seater die, and a collet crimp die. "Normal" die sets only use a F/L sizing die that uses an expander that sizes the neck on extraction, and a seating/crimping die, and some kits include a neck sizing only die. For a new reloader perhaps the extra dies/steps aren't needed/worth the trouble and a standard die set would be better, especially if you are using a single stage press (many reloaders/shooters don't crimp 30-06 ammo, but some may if the ammo is used in a semi-auto)...
    I was unaware the sizing die was a body die. Makes sense.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I was unaware the sizing die was a body die. Makes sense.
    I may not be 100% correct on that term, but that's was the best way I could describe it. The die sizes the body and the neck sizing collet die takes care of the neck...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Fl sizes body, shoulder, and neck. Neck die just sizes the neck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    \

This is the answer you are looking for.

I have an '03 Springfield that I load for and shoot. I have the 4 die set. I use the collet neck sizing die on the brass that comes from my rifle. On purchased brass or range pick ups I full length size them

I have the 4 die sets in several calibers. I really like the Lee neck sizing collet die. If you use the collet neck sizing die pay close attention to the set up instructions.

Steve in N CA

P.S. Lee, if you are listening, a collet die for 7.62X54R is long overdue.
    +1 on the 7.62x54R collet die. I don't understand why this isn't already being made. I've heard production numbers for 91/30's from 17 million to 20 some odd million. Of that number, how many are in this country - I'd bet it's quite a few. I own 3 and have seen pics of private collections that hold dozens of them. Bottom line - there are probably a lot of people loading for them.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    +1 on the 7.62x54R collet die. I don't understand why this isn't already being made. I've heard production numbers for 91/30's from 17 million to 20 some odd million. Of that number, how many are in this country - I'd bet it's quite a few. I own 3 and have seen pics of private collections that hold dozens of them. Bottom line - there are probably a lot of people loading for them.

I just bought one from Midway. It is made by RCBS. It should be here Tuesday. I hope it works okay.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Not the same as Lee's collet neck sizer.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

When I have the choice I buy the Lee 4 die set. This gives me options no other die set gives you.
    As others say, neck size brass fired in my guns but F/L range or once fired from other guns. After a few firings the brass can get a bit tight in my guns, I then F/L to get back to easy bolt close.
    I like the option to crimp also. In my limited experimenting a crimp does improve accuracy. Some a light crimp others a bit more.
    Still experimenting.
    Leo

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    I am looking at this set for loading 30/06.
    Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Are you loading cast boolits or J-words?
    Lee's Seater is sloppy, but it does OK with pointy J-words.
    I've had bad luck with Lee seating dies giving me runout problems with boolit noses that aren't similar to J-words.
    I like most Lee dies, but dislike their seaters for rifle. I have replaced most all my Lee Rifle seaters with Bonanza (Forster) benchrest seating dies. I really love Lee's Collet FCD, I use them exclusively when I want a crimp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Nice thing about lee dies is their cost. Very easy to put a pea sized bit of regular low temp general purpose epoxy putty in a seater plug, then put some case lube on the lead projectile I am waiting to use, tamp the epoxy in, smooth the edges and set the nose profile. 5m later and you have a seater that fits perfectly.

Want to reset? Epoxy burns out at about 400-500' way before the aluminum gets too hot. Heat them peel out, etc.

Boolit Master
    I'd get the bushing die set from Redding, a neck size die that you can interchange bushings to fine tune your case neck tension, depends on your accuracy requirements.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee Supreme 4 die set for my 6.5mm and .22-250. I had RCBS dies for both rifles but bought the Lee sets for the collet neck sizers. Accuracy may be helped some but the real benefit is that the brass gets worked very little with the neck sizers. Case growth is also substantially slowed by collet neck sizing, reducing the need to trim them.

Soundguy has a good point about removing epoxy. It's super easy to dig out with a small soldering iron.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast