Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just an example of why some of us get wound up about the rules

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Just an example of why some of us get wound up about the rules

So after some discussions where I felt as if I was completely exaggerating the cartridge examples I used I went looking .
    No wonder so many folks don't have a problem with a 22 for deer hunting . A 22 mag is legal in Maine . I may have incorrectly cut and pasted Alaska and this may be a special cartridge restriction per species .
    These are just a few but clearly showing what I mean .
    I don't take issue with a minimum cartridge requirement but then I've hunted Nevada for 39 yr so what do I know .

Alaska

Additional Requirements and Information
    HUNTERS WILL BE ASSIGNED SPECIFIC HUNTING START DATES FOR THE OCTOBER - MARCH HUNTING SEASON DETERMINED BY THE ORDER HUNTERS WERE DRAWN FOR THE PERMITS.

-Hunters must obtain permission from landowners to hunt on private land.
    -Successful applicants must complete an online orientation or attend an in-person class at the Delta Area office prior to hunting.
    -Legal weapons include conventional rifles and handguns, muzzleloading shoulder rifles, black powder cartridge rifles, bow and arrow, and cross bows. Conventional rifles must fire a minimum of 200 grain bullet having
    2000 ft/lbs. or more energy retained at 100 yards.

Alabama

DEER

Rifles using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.

Air powered guns, .30 caliber or larger.

Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller using buckshot, slugs, or single round ball.

Muzzleloaders and Black Powder Handguns: .40 caliber or larger, during the special muzzleloader season.

Long bows, compound bows, or crossbows in conformance with regulation 220-2-.03.

Handguns or pistols using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.

Hunting with fully automatic firearms is prohibited.

Hand thrown spear in conformance with regulation 220-2-.

Utah

R657-5-8. Rifles and Shotguns.

(1) The following rifles and shotguns may be used to take big game:

(a) any rifle firing centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets; and

(b) a shotgun, 20 gauge or larger, firing only 00 or larger buckshot or slug ammunition.

R657-5-9. Handguns.

(1) A handgun may be used to take deer and pronghorn, provided the handgun is a minimum of .24 caliber, fires a centerfire cartridge with an expanding bullet and develops 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle.

(2) A handgun may be used to take elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat provided the handgun is a minimum of .24 caliber, fires a centerfire cartridge with an expanding bullet and develops 500 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards .

Maine.....
    No firearm may be used for deer, moose, and bear hunting which uses .17 or .22 caliber rimfire cartridges, except .22 magnum can be used for deer hunting.
    No firearms of any kind may be carried while hunting deer with a bow and arrow during the special archery season on deer and the expanded archery season on deer, except that a person who also holds a license that allows hunting with firearms may carry a handgun but it cannot be used to shoot a deer or dispatch a wounded deer.

Nevada
    Rifles

Must use a center-fire cartridge of .22 caliber or larger. Must have 1000 pounds of energy at 100 yards.

Handguns

Must have at least a 4-inch barrel and use either:

A centerfire cartridge of .22 caliber or larger with an overall loaded length of 2 inches;*or

A centerfire cartridge of .24 caliber or larger with a case length equal to or longer than the case of a Remington .44 magnum

New York

Handgun*Any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches(NOTE: Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.)
    Shotgun*Must be 20 gauge or larger and fire a single projectile. Rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed.
    Rifle*Any centerfire rifle.

Mass.

(i)*Hunting Implements.
    1. During that period of the open season beginning the first Tuesday in September and ending on the third Saturday thereafter, a person may hunt black bear only by means of: a bow and arrow; or a rifle .23 caliber or larger; or a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder and not less than .44 caliber nor greater than .775 caliber; or a revolver chambered to take .357 Magnum cartridges, using only .357 Magnum cartridges, or a revolver chambered .40 caliber or larger.
    2. During that period of the open season beginning the first Monday in November and ending the third Saturday thereafter, a person may hunt black bear only by means of a bow and arrow; or a rifle .23 caliber or larger; or a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder and not less than .44 caliber nor greater than .775 caliber.
    3. During the shotgun deer season, as prescribed in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b)(3), bear may be hunted by means of a:
    a) shotgun not larger than ten gauge, including shotguns with a rifled bore, using a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug or single ball
    b) muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or
    c) bow and arrow
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok so....
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Just a demonstration .
    I'm required 1000#@100yd while Maine is ok with a RF 22 mag . Folks get wound up over the demands that some of us place on our loads . If I hadn't actually gone and looked this up I would have called B's on any state allowing a 22 mag for big game .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I see that .357 is legal in Nev.. Interesting...

Another thing I found interesting was the Ft-lbs requirement at distance. I have never been exposed to that before & I think I need to go research about it a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to share some new stuff for some of us who have only hunted in a few states/provinces.

Moderator Emeritus

I would imaging the average shot in Maine is measured in feet rather than yards.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post

one state allows the use of .25acp on bear. Well a good way to thin the idiots out of the herd, not a smart thing.
    You gotta jump on it's back from your tree stand "Rambo style " and stick the muzzle in its ear hole !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Utah
    Rifle
    Any center fire .......... So a 17 hornet flys ..... I wouldn't but ....

A pistol must have 500 ftlb at the muzzle but for the really stuff moose ,elk etc it has to carry 500 ftlb to 100 yd . Kinda leaves you with 41 mag and up or a contender .

I see that .357 is legal in Nev.. Interesting...
    Jb
    It is worth noting that the rifle definition follows the 22 or larger 2" OAL portion of the pistol regulation so most PCC rifles are not legal as the primary hunting tool .

[/QUOTE]one state allows the use of .25acp on bear. Well a good way to thin the idiots out of the herd, not a smart thing.[/QUOTE]

When that hunt starts, I want to be a ways off, watching through a spotting scope; should be interesting, noisy and quite colorful.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

I always stick it in their nose so the bullet is lubed on its way to the brain. I' ve kilt hundreds of Griz here in Texas using the .25 Raven. The black one- chrome spooks the bear..........Best, Thomas.

In Remembrance

Poachers here in Mich. have been using .22 LR HP rounds for illegal deer taking for years, `Meat Points` they referred to them as.Robert

Vendor Sponsor
    Interesting to note Nevada's laws wherein the 45LC case is the same length as a 44mag and therefore legal for big game in a handgun. But getting a 45LC rifle to generate 1000 ft lb of energy at 100 yards is a tall order and not legal. But it has a lot more power than my 4" model 25. Don't seem right. I used my model 94 in 38-55 to take a doe antelope 2 years ago. I didn't do the math to see if it made the energy requirements. Does 250 gr at 1700 fps muzzle hit 1000 ft lbs at 100?

Depending on the BC , I come up 100 fps short with the NOE 278-124 in the 6.8 but the 311-230 makes it at 1800 . I think the 358-228 XCB would make it around 2000 .

With fast rifle powder the Colt will produce some pretty impressive numbers but still comes up a little short , a 350 pushing 1300 is a truck load of smack down but.the BC kills it . It only goes about 700 in a 7.5" BlackHawk.

Cast Hunter

The weapon blurb you posted about Alaska is specific to hunting Bison only.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

It generally is. Having hunted in Maine for over 50 years, I know of no one....repeat no one would does or would use a 22 Mag for deer here.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would imaging the average shot in Maine is measured in feet rather than yards.

The Alaska bit is so noted .

I'm sure that you are correct about your circle regarding the 22 mag .
    You can use a hand thrown spear in Alabama .
    Utah requires at least a full bore 357 or a 900 fps 255 45 Colts .
    Nevada while not the intent allows a 256 Win in a 4" revolver .
    Maine allows a 22 mag .

Now Maine ,Nevada , Utah have Bears probably Alabama too . Just because it's legal or rather not illegal doesn't make it a good idea . Ethics kick in here . I can sneak the 206 BC Maine buck bedded down with my 10/22M to under 75 ft and 100% of the time take out the 3rd neck bone (spell correct isn't playing nice ) then by all means do it ........but what if the old gut pile guzzler bear is having a bad day in the berry patch and decides he wants the whole deer not just the leftovers ..... Nope I don't feel all warm and fuzzy not even with doubled up 100 rounders . A pointy stick a 1000 miles south isn't any more inviting . I'm a red neck not a cave man .

Any CF cartridge ........see the above about the stick and RF and tell me how a 17 hornet or 5.7 is a good choice .
    I wholly agree that a 50 BMG or the lesser 338 Lapua is over kill for a 50 yd 90# whitetail doe , can you imagine the spray using a flat pointed 750 BMG ball cut down to 600 ala 50 Alaskan in your BMG for about 3100 fps ? Legal but what's your gut say ?

Maybe my mindset is flawed . I load for greater and western Canada geese on every duck hunt , yes a 1 1/16 oz load of 1s or B's is hard on teal and the incidental quail at the other end there are a half dozen coyotes that won't ever sneak up on another decoy .
    A mulie is a 250-300# hoof weight animal, in the northwestern quarter there are plenty of 400# bears .
    There is a area here with wild .....feral cattle . The ranchers there have had agressive reactions from them during round up .....

Mountain lions are everywhere .

I'm sure well placed shots from the lightest legal tools would be spot lethal . I prefer a little margin for error when I am 4-6 links down the food chain .

Vendor Sponsor
    Well I looked up kinetic energy for dummies and my feeble brain came up with 1604 ft lbs muzzle energy for my 38-55. So I am assuming that seeing there is a slight ogive to my hand swaged paper patched hollow point, there should be at least 1000 ft lbs left at 100 yards. I have never chronoed my 280 gr .453 in a shape that Veral Smith calls an ogival wad cutter out of the 24" bbl of my Rosschester. I have a new project...yahoo!

Insightful when you begin to turn it all around and look at the diamond from the point of the base than the flat on top .

I know a gun smith that is/was exploring a golf ball like dimpled round ball for a shot gun to improve the flight in a smooth bore .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I know a gun smith that is/was exploring a golf ball like dimpled round ball for a shot gun to improve the flight in a smooth bore .
    about a jillion guys have been there, done that. None of them had any success either. Not sure why folks think they would either.

Because the dimples have been demonstrated to enhance the flight of a golf ball vs a slick ball . As applied to a paint ball gun back spin will flatten it's flight on a slick ball and now we're back to a rifled barrel ........

Boolit Master
    It Would Be Very Interesting to machine Molds for, say #3 Buck shot, with proportionately sized 'dimples' like a golf ball and then Polish the mold cavity for use.
    Chuckling,
    Chev. William

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast