RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Keep Your Rifle Brass Organized?

Banned
    I have absolute tons of brass for most standard, Wby & lots of wildcats, with many match/BR/LR hunting guns.

All are put into cans, mostly big cashew cans from Costco, PB, mayo etc. All are sorted by Manufacturer & weight into individual cans. All LC military, are year sorted then years are sorted by wt. Militalry & hunting are sorted to .5 gr. BR etc are exact weight sorted.

Things like levers arn't sorted all that much. Do sort by manu & try to get within 2gr.

Don't sort pistol brass except by brand & then not for blazing ammo.

When I buy brass for a gun, I will buy 500 or 1k, sometimes more as in LC 5.56/7.62 so I can get the the same yr groups & lot nos.

Any gun, no matter what it is will have 500 minimum (except maybe levers - just don't know)

Weight brass, bullets, powder will have a great effect on accuracy in any gun worth having.

Seems most of us use the same type of system. I use the zip locks and a note as to just what steps have been taken. Gp Ps. Let me know if you need a trip to the county range, it would be good to meet up one of these days.

I belonged to a military R&G club for about 35 years. They had wooden crates from salvage full of brass for the taking, at every meeting. Then I found I could buy processed and primed LC at Tulsa for about $110 per M. I still have moving book boxes full of military brass yet to process. Most of my various 223 guns shoot a different powder and bullet combo a bit better than other loads. I package them in 100 round packs using a Seal a Meal, cleaned and loaded, I use a magic marker to write on each pack what is inside, before filling or sealing. I clip a V notch on each side's edge at the top, under the seal line. The top will then tear right off at the notch. I put the loaded packs of ammo in marked book boxes by the gun that they were loaded for. I have been using the Seal A Meal bags for years, they are dirt, dust and waterproof, plus the brass stays nice and shiny.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Moderator Emeritus

I've long just used whatever was available that would fit the volume of brass I had - usually simple cardboard boxes, for the most part. But if an appropriately sized plastic storage container is available and unused, I like them. And for separating brands or types of brass in the big lots, I'll use gallon plastic zip lock freezer bags, if they'll hold it all, or larger bags with a rubber band or something around them to keep them closed, so the brass doesn't "escape" and get in with some other type of brass. BUT .... and this is the BIGGIE in all this .... one HAS to be diligent in KEEPING the brass assorted over time, lest one might have to do it all over again. I now have enough brass of enough calibers that it's a real challenge to keep it all. But I've had much worse problems, to be sure!

Boolit Grand Master

My prepped brass goes into MTM 100 round boxes, with the info noted on the label. Unprocessed brass gets washed and dried, then is sorted by headstamp and stored in plastic coffee cans. I had a source for coffee cans at one time that got me way ahead of my needs and what I use now easily keeps up.

Cast Boolits Owner

I store my brass in 5 gallon buckets for the high volume stuff which means everything pistol and large coffee cans for not so high volume stuff (rifle). Once loaded it is placed in either 50 or 100 count zip locks then stored in 30 ammo cans.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Sorted by headstamp,stored in 100 rd MTM boxes and those are stored in 20 mm ammo cans. Trimmed,pockets swaged and run thru wet thumbler with ss pins.

Boolit Master
    Plastic zip lock bags and magic marker, then into coffie cans with calibers listed, bags have head stamp and number of times fired

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    2 piles - loaded and unloaded !
    boy isn't that the truth!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

2 quart plastic jugs the wife gets, screw on top. One for each cal. Fired goes in,when full I process. Plastic flip top roll boxes from the grocery - unprocessed in one side, processed in the other. Finish the process (single stage press) and go the other way. When done, back into another screw top jug. Loaded go into peanut screw top jugs as do primed. I don't sort by HS. Don't use the loading blocks anymore either.
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Gallon plastic sealing bag, by head stamp. Cull the unfit ones and process by whatever steps I have to do. If I have time to clean, and deprime, but nothing else, I slip a note in the bag to tell me where I left off. Next time might add FL sizing and OAL trimming. New note and reseal. etc.

Same here. I put RTS for ready to size, RTL for ready to load, etc.

I use empty plastic coffee containers. I label how far along they are in the prep process with masking tape. Easy to stack and I group them in basic caliber sizes on shelves under my bench.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    All my brass, rifle or handgun, goes in plastic containers. Mostly the big plastic Folger's coffee cans my wife used to buy.
    About any appropriately sized container gets used, though.
    I come home from the range all the brass from that trip goes in the tumbler or gets washed, depending on how I feel like doing it.
    When I am ready to load a batch of brass, I count out how much I want to reload and then re-size and de-prime them. I then prime the cases and load them in loading blocks and then dump powder and seat bullets in groups of 50 each. I just keep reloading until I have whatever quantity I desire. My generic target/plinking loads that I shoot by the thousands go in an ammo can. My rounds for hunting, testing or more serious use are stored in plastic ammo boxes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    never too much brass!
    I have the room so I agree in principle. I don't shoot machine guns so I don't run through thousands of rounds at once. But when you have over a thousand pieces of 375 H&H brass you start to think "do I have to much?" :laugh:

When grocery shopping ALWAYS choose the product that comes in a container that can be easily washed and reused. Ice cream buckets, coffee cans, etc. We have a parrot and the bird food comes in tall plastic jug. I use a lot of those. No telling how many plastic tubs of Country Crock margarine now house brass.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have the room so I agree in principle. I don't shoot machine guns so I don't run through thousands of rounds at once. But when you have over a thousand pieces of 375 H&H brass you start to think "do I have to much?" :laugh:
    No such thing as too much brass.
    Can always be sold or traded if you don't need all of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    When grocery shopping ALWAYS choose the product that comes in a container that can be easily washed and reused. Ice cream buckets, coffee cans, etc. We have a parrot and the bird food comes in tall plastic jug. I use a lot of those. No telling how many plastic tubs of Country Crock margarine now house brass.
    Ha Ha! You might be a reloader if your household purchases are chosen because the container is useable for storage! Love it!!!

Boolit Master

Plastic zip lock bags.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Oh my..... a belt fed full auto 375 H&H...I LIKE IT!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

How Do You Keep Your Rifle Brass Organized?

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Oh my..... a belt fed full auto 375 H&H...I LIKE IT!
    Ok, now I'm on board. It appears I don't have enough brass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast