Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Keep Your Rifle Brass Organized?

Boolit Master

How Do You Keep Your Rifle Brass Organized?

Well I mixed up a bunch of the 223 brass I use for my AR and spent all day going through all of it, checking, trimming, etc and it was a huge pain in my kiester. Obviously, my system failed, so please tell me what you do.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    Gallon plastic sealing bag, by head stamp. Cull the unfit ones and process by whatever steps I have to do. If I have time to clean, and deprime, but nothing else, I slip a note in the bag to tell me where I left off. Next time might add FL sizing and OAL trimming. New note and reseal. etc.

Boolit Master
    ∆ what he said!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

About the same as 725 said. I write down on an index card everything that needs to be done to a bag of brass. As an item is completed I mark a line through it. That index card stays with that group of brass until it's ready to load at which time it goes into a box marked "Ready to Load" and the index card gleefully goes in the trash. That's worked for me for about 4000 pieces of 5.56.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    When mine is loaded for the first time they get put into plastic 100 round boxes that has notes inside. They never leave those 100 round boxes until the brass is scraped. I keep the 100 round boxes in totes. It's a rare occasion when I don't have a catch bag on the AR.

Boolit Master
    zip lock bags in batches of 50, all same headstamp. They don't go in the ziplock until they've been sorted, sized, cleaned, primer pockets uniformed and ready to load. Each ziplock ls labeled by manufacture type and a number (LC-1, LC-2, LC-3, PMC-1, FC-1, FC-2, etc). My reload records include a table of how many times each of those bags is reloaded, and I try to keep them all about the same number of reloads. When I use a batch, I deprime it, resize, clean, check for bad cases, then return it to the same bag. I use bags of 50 because my loading block has 50 holes and my cartridge boxes are all 50 round boxes.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Ziplocks here too.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Gallon plastic sealing bag, by head stamp. Cull the unfit ones and process by whatever steps I have to do. If I have time to clean, and deprime, but nothing else, I slip a note in the bag to tell me where I left off. Next time might add FL sizing and OAL trimming. New note and reseal. etc.
    This is a good idea, i do this same thing with pre weighed black powder charges, i pre weigh all of my charges, put them in plastic ziplock bags with a note telling me what type, and Grain of powder.

Boolit Master

I use gallon zip lock bags sand put in a note about what I have done or need to do go the brass.
    Chuck

I have well over 10,000 223 brass in 5 gallon buckets. I prep brass all winter and load on a Dillon 550 about 1000 at a time. I will do each step on the 1000 kept separately in plastic egg buckets (they are from an egg processor and are smaller than a 5 gallon bucket - they have a snap lid) and note where I left off on a piece of paper. As I do each step, I transfer the brass to another container. Full length resize, clean primer pockets, swage (yup, I do them whether they need it or not). trim, and into the RTL (ready to load) bucket.
    Hey....winters are long and cold here in NH. What else ya gonna do?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic bins from walmart. I will tumble brass before storing and may or may not deprime and size. Easy to tell if primers in or out. I then take out what i need and use until worn out.
    Either way, i dont trim until ready to load and then keep all fired brass seperate
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Shepard 2 does it just like I do.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

Boolit Grand Master

Ziplock bags and either five gallon buckets of FRBs. Most of the brass is unprocessed, I have to much. Those that are ready to load are marked as such on the ziplock bag.

Boolit Master

For rifle brass I used a combination of Ziploc and storage bins. Sort the brass into the Ziplocs, with enclosed 3x5 cards listing any processing required then bags are stored by caliber in large-size stackable bins. For pistol, I use 2# plastic coffee containers marked with caliber and "clean" or "dirty".

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Well for my 223 I deprime/size and trim in a single operation (Dillon trimmer) so it's kind of simplified process: once I have enough dirty accumulated it goes to wet tumble, after that for processing and for final polish/lube removal. So I store either "dirty" or fully processed.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems we all use the convenience of zip shut plastic bags to one degree or another. It's also common to include a note stating the current stage of improvement.
    In order to get the most mileage from powder and primer, I have only small volumes of loaded rounds in 50-100 rnd boxes, also with a note stating all load data. I do however have and keep large volumes of prepared brass.
    As others have stated, each batch of brass is in a plastic bag with a note, and each caliber is in a marked bucket or storage container.
    Included on the notes along with the stage of process, is which rifle they were used in, and how many times fired.
    I do this also because of my age. At some point, all the brass and components will be someone else's responsibility. There will be little ammo to be pulled down and everything else will be ready for use as is, with all pertinent info at hand.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

MFRB and Gallon Ziplock bags. If it's loaded it's in a ammo can with label or in 50/100 rd containers. Dillon for pistol and typically thick MTM brand for rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    ziplock bags and either five gallon buckets of frbs. Most of the brass is unprocessed, i have to much. Those that are ready to load are marked as such on the ziplock bag.
    never too much brass!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    It seems we all use the convenience of zip shut plastic bags to one degree or another. It's also common to include a note stating the current stage of improvement.
    In order to get the most mileage from powder and primer, I have only small volumes of loaded rounds in 50-100 rnd boxes, also with a note stating all load data. I do however have and keep large volumes of prepared brass.
    As others have stated, each batch of brass is in a plastic bag with a note, and each caliber is in a marked bucket or storage container.
    Included on the notes along with the stage of process, is which rifle they were used in, and how many times fired.
    I do this also because of my age. At some point, all the brass and components will be someone else's responsibility. There will be little ammo to be pulled down and everything else will be ready for use as is, with all pertinent info at hand.
    Agreed except for once I settle on a load, I load THOUSANDS of them and label them in the Dillon boxes. Winters are long and hard here in NH and that is what I do all winter. Brass prep, cast and load. That way when I go shooting, I just go to the closet, take hundreds of rounds and not worry about running out.

Boolit Master

2 piles - loaded and unloaded !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast