RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger american bluing issues...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Ruger american 450 bushmaster bluing issues...

I picked up my 450 bushmaster Friday from cabelas. I had lazik done two weeks ago so I've had blury vision and not been able to see well as they are in the healing process. I noticed after I got home the thread protector was missing so I called and left Ruger message. After the weekend my eyes are working a little better which allowed me to see missing bluing on the gun and on the picanty rail. Needless to say its getting shipped to Ruger to be completely reblued, a replacement picanty rail, and they are shipping a thread protector as well. Ruger was nice about it and told me a 5-10 day turn around time and is sending UPS to my house tomorrow to pick It up. Has anyone else had issues with their quality or bluing? That flat black bluing I swear I could rub it off with normal gun cleaners if I tried. It seems like all the manufacturers are using this same cheap process...it's why 99% of my rifles are stainless. My Remington ltr has the same type of cheap bluing on it and I have wear spots on it. Am I being too picky? If I was able to see it at the time I took delivery of it when I was at cabelas I would have told them to keep it. This is the third time in a row I have ordered I rifle from cabelas and it came either scratched, damaged, or missing parts. The first time I refused to purchase the rifle (Remington long range that was missing more bluing than this one)since they had one one the shelf that was flawless and had them switch it out. The second time I just ignorded the scratched up composit stock on the 77/44 and took it home anyways. But this time I called Ruger. I think all the firearms at cabelas get fondled and passed around to every Tom, Dick, and Harry to touch and dream about before someone buys them. I watched the counter guy open the sealed box that was transferred from another cabelas. I was thinking it was factory sealed but now I'm not. The box was pretty beat up as well. There was some bluing missing under the bolt handle as well. Am I being too picky for a $500 rifle? At least Ruger is taking care of it. It just reminds me not to buy any blued rifles anymore. If manifactures still blued like on my Remington 7600 from the eighties the bluing would last a lifetime.
    Attachment 195699Attachment 195702Attachment 195703Attachment 195704Attachment 195704Attachment 195705Attachment 195706
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master

I'm not seeing missing bluing in the pictures, but I am seeing plenty of scratches. The rail looks like a scope mount was tried on it. I suspect you got a display model that was repackaged to be shipped to you. Not a Cabelas story, but I had something similar happen to me recently. A supposedly new-in-the-box AR carbine arrived at my FFL from Davidson's. It had plenty of dings and scratches, mainly caused by the storage padlock rattling around loose in the box. Somebody between the factory and me had opened the box and also opened the bag with the accessories in it, then it got shipped. I declined it. Last Ruger 10-22 I bought I insisted the clerk take out of the box so I could look down the barrel, just to make sure the hole went all the way through and it had rifling.

Ruger emailed me Tuesday. They replaced the barrel and the brake and are sending it back. The notes given by Ruger to their employee said nothing about rebluing the receiver and replacing the picanty rail. Guess I'll find out when ups drops it off tomorrow.

Boolit Master

On steel it is bluing. On Aluminum it is anodizing dye.

Boolit Grand Master

Bluing? On the American series? It's pretty much barbecue paint. Don't get me wrong, I own one. But I'm tempted to send to it MBT to have it blued properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Bluing? On the American series? It's pretty much barbecue paint. Don't get me wrong, I own one. But I'm tempted to send to it MBT to have it blued properly.
    I think BBQ paint would be more durable than what they've used to drive the cost down. I'd pay another $100 Msrp to have had a quality bluing job. This will be my last blued gun. All stainless from now on or they will be sent in to be coated.

Boolit Master

Seems nowadays, we the customer, are the quality control inspectors for many American companies.

After several tries and a considerable loss of cash trying to get a new American made .22 Hornet that functioned and shot well, I gave up.

I then bought a CZ 527 .22 Hornet. Absolutely fantastic rifle. Beautifully made, very, very accurate, and chambers and ejects flawlessly.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Got it back today and the finish looks great. They replaced the barrel and in the process the lugs from my bolt must not have lined up properly so they ground it in three places...what a cobble job. Ruger has gone to s@@@t!Attachment 196325Attachment 196326Attachment 196327Attachment 196325

Needless to say I emailed them with pics. I know the bolt wasn't like this when I sent it to them. I will probably just file and polish it out myself. Just won't be buying another Ruger again. Looks like **** for a brand new gun.

I fixed it myself in about an hour with a file,sandpaper, and mothers polishAttachment 196346

BBQ paint actually works since you guys mentioned it..........

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    BBQ paint actually works since you guys mentioned it..........
    And exhaust-header paint for engines.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I have a Ruger American Ranch rifle with a bare spot. It's not horrible, but it's there. It's not bluing, either. Some kind of flat black paint. I agree with you on the QC lately. The groove in the bolt that the bolt stop rides in looks like it was done by a trained monkey with a rock. Not nad for a beater, but I sure miss the days of pride in craftsmanship.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...