Boolit Grand Master

New S&W model 29

I just got a S&W model 29 with a 4" barrel
    wondering what powders to use in a shorter barrel
    have used some of my loads that I made for a 44 with a way longer barrel
    and I got a rather impressive fireball with them
    I have tried unique so far but was curious what others to try
    Attachment 195678Attachment 195677
    Last edited by white eagle; 05-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have used H-2400 for years. Recently decided to try H-110 but haven't got any loaded yet. I
    only use Unique for LV target loads in 44mgs.Attachment 195676

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't vary powders due to barrel length. My heavier loads have gotten WW-296, H-110, and A-2400 over the years. Mostly 2400 for the past decade. Moderate loads use Herco. Lyman #429421 atop 8.5-9.0 grains of Herco gives a very good imitation of the old Skeeter's Load/"44 Special +P". I shoot LOTS of these through a 4" Mtn Gun, and they are all-day-long loads that won't beat you up. Gotta say, though--WW-296 or H-110 in full-bore loadings through a 4" barrel DO light up adjacent hillsides at dusk rightly & properly.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    forgot to mention that I will be using 240-250 gr boolits exclusively
    that is nothing heavier
    I have w296,2400,4227,unique, some dots and hs-6 on hand
    my last load of 10 gr unique was pleasure to shoot but may increase
    depending on accuracy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a guideline for the 44 Magnum/S&W M-29 mixture......with the 240 grain bullets, they stay comfy for me until about the time they go hyper-sonic (1100-1125 FPS). Redhawks and Super Redhawks are kitty-cats well through and past 1300 FPS. But that's me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bluedot.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Beautiful Gun!! Mad love for those grips - good work finding that!
    FWIW I was gifted a Ruger Alaskan with the two something inch barrel and wondered what to shoot in such a short thing. I discovered Winchester has a published load for 240gr boolits of W231 up to 11 grains for the wild side of life or you can start at 5.5 grains for a nice mild load. Its seems to work in the 4.2" and the 2" barrels equally well.
    2400 and IMR 4227 also work well in my 4.2" RedHawk.
    Good luck and have fun with it!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Beautiful gun I've always had a soft spot for 4 inch 29's. You didn't say what the load was for but personally if you just want to shoot your gun 8gr if unique will let you shoot all day with no pain and has been reasonably accurate out of the 44's I have had in the past. For hunting loads in a Smith I always preferred 2400 , enforcer would be another good choice I've really grown to like enforcer over the past years. Have fun dude nice grab on a very cool gun. I wouldn't try a 600 yard shot with it but you and Elmer can out shoot me by a long ways

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold

My aging eyes are playing tricks on me. The right side of this frame seems to show a 5 screw pattern of a pre-29 Smith while the left appears to have an altered internal lock. Tell me what I'm seeing.
    A man on his knees before God can stand before anyone.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I don't vary powders due to barrel length. My heavier loads have gotten WW-296, H-110, and A-2400 over the years. Mostly 2400 for the past decade. Moderate loads use Herco. Lyman #429421 atop 8.5-9.0 grains of Herco gives a very good imitation of the old Skeeter's Load/"44 Special +P". I shoot LOTS of these through a 4" Mtn Gun, and they are all-day-long loads that won't beat you up. Gotta say, though--WW-296 or H-110 in full-bore loadings through a 4" barrel DO light up adjacent hillsides at dusk rightly & properly.
    /\ I can't add to this.

H110 (ww296) is my go-to magnum powder for both .357 & 44. I don't shoot a lot of magnum loads but H110 does the trick.

The vast majority of my 44 loads are duplicates of the "Skeeter" load. I use Unique instead of Herco but the goal is the same; a warm 44 Special load [44 Special +P as Al labeled it].
    In a magnum case, that works out to about 8.1 to 8.3 grains of Unique behind a 250gr SWC cast fairly soft (10 BHn). I shoot a lot of those in a 4" Mountain Gun and it just doesn't get much better.

Boolit Buddy
    'Bet Elmer and Skeeter are grinnin' from ear to ear ! LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I don't vary for barrel length either. Have been using 2400 with 240g gcs since 60s. My Ruger SBH, I load heavy with 240JHPs for deer. I am trying the H-110 for use in Marlin 1894, no bullet
    picked yet. Probably lightest JHP I can push fastest and still have accuracy. For deer hunting only
    and any 44 slug will kill a deer. My S&W load is 240 cast/ 11.0g Unique/ 1050fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess that I should not worry about barrel length
    well that makes things a bit easier
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    10 grains Unique with a 240/250 grain cast SWC is a match made in heaven for 4" M29s.

For fun/low recoil/small game type stuff, try 10 grains Unique and a 185 grain full profile wadcutter.

Boolit Grand Master
    nice
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Been looking for a good WC mold for 44mg & 44sp. I bought some cast 200g WCs with button
    done top. They were extremely accurate. Have similar 45 cal WC that is tackdriver in m25s. I
    got a m24 itching for some WCs.Attachment 195746

Boolit Master
    Like Al, I don't vary powder with bbl length in my .44's and that goes from 4" revolvers to 18" rifles. If I want real mild loads I use Trail Boss, medium re-coiling loads get Green Dot, and magnum loads either 2400, H-110 or WC 820. In my 4" 629 that is similar to your 29, I prefer 8.6g of Green Dot and a 429421HP at 235g for a velocity of 1023 fps. This load is similar in velocity to 9.3g of Unique, but is less expensive.

What is the "dash number" of your Mdl 29?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy

[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;4047794]I don't vary powders due to barrel length.

This gentleman is right. Most of the powders you will be using will burn before the bullet leaves the case. Yes, there will be unburned powder. There always is, but it has nothing to do with barrel length.

Boolit Grand Master
    the dash # is 10 its a brand new 29
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Powder suggestion will depend on purpose. What is your goal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast