Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Long range projectile

Long range projectile

So if i wish to start long range target shooting (my closest targets are 1000 meters) with a black powder 1874 Uberti Sharps Buffalo Hunter in 45-70.
    Is there a particular projectile design? Mold manufacturer ? Anyone can recommend?

Boolit Master
    I always recommend paper patch bullets. But in your case, since it is a 45-70, I especially recommend them because they will allow you more case capacity, and you need all you can get with a 45- 70. I would be happy to recommend a bullet at purpose, if you are interested.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you don't have a weight limitation on the bullet, the Saeco 645 bullet shoots to 1000 well, the 525 gr money bullet from Buffalo Arms also does well in both grease groove and patched styles.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    This will shooter better in an 18 twist to 100 than any other available bullet.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/443-530-...ase-jim443530e

Banned

i can only heartily echo brent's two comments ...

i'm still a pilgrim newbie to paper patched bullets, but they are THE way to go, and easier to build and load than you can imagine once you get the RIGHT scoop. no need for bullet lube or concern over barrel leading, either. in fact, little need for a press at all when using fire formed brass ... i use a compression die and a case taper die for a slight crimp to hold in the loose bullet.

i have the jim443530e slick that brent posted a link to, and as with all BACO moulds it's top shelf in every way. with 1:20 alloy they drop for me at 527 grains +/- 1 grain. shallow seating the paper patched bore rider bullet allows for at least 80+ grains of swiss 1-1/2f, for a virtual .45-90 that'll be best for the really longer marks.

Guess i need to learn the fine art of paper patching.... Thank you for the bullet suggestion BrentD, i flicked them a email to let me know when they are back in stock..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Guess i need to learn the fine art of paper patching.... Thank you for the bullet suggestion BrentD, i flicked them a email to let me know when they are back in stock..
    none of the BACO moulds are 'backordered', they're built 'on demand'. just call or email and they'll build and ship typically within a week. mine arrived in THREE days of purchasing.

So the projectile is 0.4430 Dia, and you wrap a paper jacket to 0.4580-0.4590 Dia?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    So the projectile is 0.4430 Dia, and you wrap a paper jacket to 0.4580-0.4590 Dia?
    for the most part, no. with black powder loads i want a bore rider ppb that's at, or slightly under bore diameter (not groove diameter). my jim443530e drops @ .443 and with two wraps of papermill 9# onion paper i'm getting .449+" fpr the wrapped diameter. i get no barrel leading, cleanup takes 3 to 4 patches at most, and every shot yields a burst of patch confetti.

Boolit Grand Master

The recovered confetti from the bullets tells a lot when examined. My 40-65 turns it to true confetti and very little is recovered from them. The 45s are different in that most is found in pieces of the outer wrap and the inner wrap somewhat intact. Watching the patches as they are fired you can learn alot

Boolit Bub
    I would try a BACO M4 money bullet 530to 550 gr.With 2F swiss.Have fun with the search.

Boolit Buddy
    try patching to 0.0005" bigger than bore if you are wiping for best accuracy.
    use thin paper and a thick bullet.
    if a 45 is not making confettii like a 40 cal, something needs addressing.
    the inner wrap needs to be cut.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Master
    I do not find that is critical that the inner wrap is cut. I like it when it is, but I don't see an increase in precision. Finding paper that will provide a half thousandth larger diameter is going to be harder than just plain difficult. A lot harder. Easier would be to go with whatever larger size is doable and then size down to whatever is needed. But 0.0005" is pretty near impossible to measure, never mind produce repeatably.

In the end, a nice snug fit is all that is needed. One can over-engineer all the fun out of shooting, if one is not careful.

Boolit Mold
    BrentD,

Would your recommendation change if it was a 16 twist instead of 18 twist?

Boolit Master
    Nope. 16 or 18 twist, seems to work the same so far as bullet fit and so forth goes. With the 18 twist, a 1.46" bullet is about as long as I dare to go but with the 16 twist, I use a bullet that is over 1.5".

Boolit Master
    Nope. 16 or 18 twist seems to work the same so far as bullet fit and so forth goes. The only difference is bullet length.

With the 18 twist, a 1.46" bullet is about as long as I dare to go but with the 16 twist, I use a bullet that is over 1.5".

I use that bullet in a 1/16 twist .45-90 and a 18 twist .45-70 it is a very good shooting bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Many Thanks.