Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 44 Special +P load suggestions

Thanks for the replies thus far. Nice to know what works for others.

Boolit Buddy
    I just recently started loading 14gr of 2400 under RCBS Keith that weighs 265grs. Haven't chronoed or shot off a bench, but it is definitely +p. It is also clean, even tho the experts told me I'd not get an incomplete burn. Never pay attention to experts.

Banned

20 grains of 4227 will get you the same thing that 18 of 2400 does give or take a couple fps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Kinda off-topic but would the +p loads discussed here be too much for a S&W M624 with a 6-1/2" barrel?

I don't want to over-stress this fine piece of machinery!
    Not really off-topic. The SAAMI limits for 44 Special are low, probably lower than they need to be for modern firearms. I don't think you would harm a S&W 624 with a load that pushed a 250 grain lead bullet in the 900-1000 fps range BUT that load would likely produce a little more than the 15,500 psi limit for 44 Special. To give a little perspective, the SAAMI limit for 44 magnum is 36,000psi.
    What we need is a sanctioned +P load for the 44 Special but no such thing exists. Part of the problem is that not all guns chambered in 44 Special are created equal.

The 44 Special is a fantastic cartridge but when crippled by the artificially low SAAMI specifications, it can be a bit limited. When taken a little above the SAAMI limits, the 44 Special does a lot of things really well. Unfortunately, we don't have a sanctioned +P load to address that problem so we are left to ourselves to find acceptable loads that don't push the envelope of safety.

The S&W 624 (along with the blued 24 and fixed sighted, blued 21) are fine guns and in my opinion, strong enough to safely handle a "Skeeter" load. Those types of guns have certainly been used to fire large numbers of those exact loads for years.

9.0 of power pistol in magnum brass under a 250-265 grain boolit has done well for me as well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    With respect to my question, I'm not interested in pushing the envelope safety-wise; if I want magnum performance I have my Redhawk for that. I just want to know if the loads being discussed here, "+p" 44spl, will loosen up my M624; I would guess that it would handle just about anything I would be comfortable shooting, since this is the same frame S&W builds their 44 magnum on. But that's a guess, I don't know.

Boolit Grand Master
    In 44 Magnum brass, I concoct "Skeeter's Load" (Rin Tin Glen plagiarism about to occur {HERE}) with the #429421 and 8.5 grains of Unique (or 9.0 grains of Herco). I think the O/P wanted to put loads up in Magnum cases.

The original Skeeter's Load mentioned by RTG was run at least 1500 times through my now-departed S&W Model 624 x 6.5". Easy extraction, stellar accuracy, and all-day recoil. 90% of my 44 Magnum shooting these days gets done with these loads. A 240 grain 43 caliber SWC at 950 FPS is a very useful ballistic tool.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I was asking for load suggestions in both magnum and special cases, but for use in a magnum chambered super blackhawk. I appreciate the replies thus far.

Maybe this will help. My go to 44 load is a 260 grn wad cutter bullet, that I swage after casting from a round nose Lee mold, in a magnum case. I load it over 7 grns. of Unique. I also use the same powder charge under a 240 grn. SWC. The round is powerful enough to blow huge chunks of wood out of a 2x4 and knock 10 pin bowing pins completely off a 4x8 foot table from the front edge at 15 yards. It is also much more accurate then I am at 40 yards being able to consistently hit an 8 inch gong at that distance. I can also shoot a hundred these through the gun in a trip without any hand fatigue.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I shot some Lazercast 240's over 12.1gns of H2400--no chrono but they were definately snappy--felt the same as the HSM "cowboy" 240LSWC which are advertised to be going 845 fps

My home loads seemed to do better than the HSM stuff but not by much...one little 4-lobed hole at 7yds for 6 rds--opened up quite a bit to about 3" at 15--

FWIW - here's my very limited experience compared to the learned elders who've already replied to this thread. I'm using .44 magnum brass in a 4.2" RedHawk.
    2400 - the 429421 with 22gr of 2400 is a very accurate load and all I ever want to shoot in my RedHawk - make no mistake there is a crazy, blinding, fireball at low light conditions.
    4227 - the 429421 with 21gr of 4227 has less of a bite and more of a push than 22gr of 2400 with a reduced external flash and almost equal accuracy but slightly lower velocity.
    W231 - again the 429421 with 11gr of 231 achieves a few fps greater velocity then 4227 but with a wicked crack - ears required!
    Accuracy from my RedHawk is very good with any of the above mentioned loads - keeping in mind those are "crazy" magnum loads from which you should be able to load down from to find a ".44 Special +P" load.
    Based on reading this thread and others, its glaring to me, there is a powder that I haven't even tried yet, Unique, it appears to be the cats pajamas for low, mid and high velocity .44 - maybe just give Unique a wave and forget the rest of the powders - you better believe if I find a jug I'll give it a wave.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

I use Unique almost exclusively because I can load it in everything I shoot. I don't shoot center fire rifles and I just buy cheap store bought for the shot guns.

Just keep in mind that Unique is dirty. When you readily see the residue on blued revolvers you know it's dirty. It is also fairly low pressure and will not function well in my Desert Eagle. For that and other full power loads I use Titegroup and W296/H110. I use to use 2400 but it became hard to find in my area so I switched to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Based on reading this thread and others, its glaring to me, there is a powder that I haven't even tried yet, Unique, it appears to be the cats pajamas for low, mid and high velocity .44 - maybe just give Unique a wave and forget the rest of the powders - you better believe if I find a jug I'll give it a wave.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I also am using IMR4227, and I really like it. I have tried the 20 g loads, but have found that 13g behind a 254g Keith style is very comfortable, and accurate at the 50 yd range that I use with my Ruger Bisley.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Skeeter always recommended 8 gr of Unique and the 240 gr bullet using magnum brass. Then go up from there if you need to. you wont need to worry about getting a hot one in a 44 special gun that way. the other suggestions above look good too.
    Scott

The East-Left Coast

"They took my horse and made him surrender".

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im going to find a happy spot for an every day load that has some authority over the 44 specials. One reason I like the 44 magnum is that is so versatile.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    20 grains of 4227 will get you the same thing that 18 of 2400 does give or take a couple fps.
    I like 4227 in this weight! Compressed and a bit dirty, but usually the most accurate powder for my 44s.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The classic +P 44 Special load is a 429-421 over 7.5 grains of Unique. In your Super Black hawk that should get you 950 fps at about 18,000 PSI. I use that load extensively. It is good.
    Love that load

Boolit Master
    Too many years ago I hoped to find a Model 24 but none were available. I could "do without" or get moving. Luck came my way when I found and bought two (2) new in the wrapper Model 24 barrels (both blue and 6") at a local gun show. The seller asked $35 for one, or both for $60. I almost ripped the patch off my jeans getting the wallet out and brought both barrels home. Already had an unfired S&W Model 28, got the cylinder re-chambered and barrel installed on the frame and had a hybrid Model 28. Next I installed the rear sight assembly from a Model 27 on the frame and polished the grooves from the face of the trigger. Loaded with the Skeeter load this revolver groups better than I could have ever asked for. I happened to have an early Lee mold for a 160 grain wadcutter. I used this revolver and boolit to win a pistol match at a local club where I was a member. Wow, did that ever hack off the Gold Cup owners! As the original Model 28 is heat treated for the pressures of the 357 Magnum I could safely go to higher pressure levels. Could, but won't. I have a few 44 Magnums, so if I need to drive a bigger nail I'll pick up a bigger hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

" Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post

The classic +P 44 Special load is a 429-421 over 7.5 grains of Unique. In your Super Black hawk that should get you 950 fps at about 18,000 PSI. I use that load extensively. It is good."

Yes that is a "good" load if not excellent for the 44 SPL. However, the "18,000 psi" quoted is actually the old CUP figure. CUP measurement is not referred to as "psi" anymore but as "CUP". That load, as I previously mentioned runs 22,000 +/- psi as measured via modern peizo-transducer/strain gauges. Essentially the same pressure but somewhat confusing if comparing apples to orange........

Again, my "go to" loads for all but serious hunting in my 44s is;

any good, well lubed cast 240 - 255 gr bullet over 7.5 gr in 44 SPL cases or 8.5 gr in 44 Magnum cases.

Larry Gibson

A load I've used is 7.4gr Power Pistol, standard primer, mixed cases and 240gr LSWC hardcast crimped in the groove. It gave 799FPS from a Taurus 445Ti with it's ported 2" barrel and about 2"-3" groups at 10yds offhand. I like the gun, it's light and has good punch. It should hold up to full power loads as it shares the same frame as the 415Ti 41Mag. Brian Pierce listed 8.0gr at 998 FPS as a max load in the standard pressure category and 9.0gr at 1093 FPS in a 5.5" barrel (the category was not specified, assume it to be category 3) under a 250gr 429421 Keith LSWC in 44Spl cases in the September 2005 "Handloader" magazine. There he lists loads in three categories;15,500 PSI, 22,000 PSI and 25,000 PSI along with the guns suited to them.
    Last edited by 2AALLTHEWAY; 07-09-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast