RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 44 Special +P load suggestions

44 Special +P load suggestions

I want to make some 44 special+P loadings for my SBH. I want more thump than specials offer, but less recoil than magnums.

Im using magnum brass 240 grain cast bullets and hornady 240 grain xtp's occasionally.

I have unique, and I know I can use any amount of it from "special" max loads to the "magnum" starting loads in magnum brass with data respective to each projectile type/weight.

However... I'd like to know what has worked for others in this power range, with this and other powders, and in both magnum and special brass.

I also have HP38, WSF, and IMR 4227 on hand. But I can pick up bout anything I might want should a recipe spark my imagination.

Thanks

~Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master
    The classic +P 44 Special load is a 429-421 over 7.5 grains of Unique. In your Super Black hawk that should get you 950 fps at about 18,000 PSI. I use that load extensively. It is good.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

You might want to invest in a copy of QuickLoad Bazoo, you won't find a lot of +P for the 44 Special because most guns can't take the pressure. Medium frame Ruger, like the recent production Flattop Blackhawk are good to 25,000psi but you won't find ANY published load data anywhere that will get you into that ballpark.

How do I know this? I reamed a 45 ACP cylinder into 45 Schofield for my medium frame Vaquero, and I developed loads to 23,000psi for it. Can't use tier 2 45 Colt loads, the case is shorter. Can't use 44 Special loads, none will get into the pressure ceiling. There is no published data for +P in 45 Schofield caliber, and there won't be much in 44 Special, and the data that is, won't go to 25,000psi which is where the pressure ceiling is in the medium framed Rugers.

HS-6 works, 2400 works, Unique works, H110 even works for max loads and they thump hard, 250gr boolit @1200fps but they don't come anywhere near the recoil of a heavy boolit in 44 magnum loading.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Are you trimming the mag brass ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Try taking the light loads you are using and put a little "POLY FILL" from a sewing store over the powder. If you don't want to spend the money for the poly fill try some drier lint. (Only problem with lint is you may have some hair sticking out of your cases.) I do this with 7 grns. of Unique and a 260 grn. bullet and can tell the difference. It's like adding an extra grain of powder.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

2400 is your friend

A link to Brian Pearce's article with load data for 25,000psi 44spl loads.
    http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/4...%20Special.pdf

Another link to 44spl loads. This is from the 1950's/american rifleman. It's good cross reference material, what they found with their testing for the nra/new modern cases (old cases ='s balloon headed) mirrors what Pearce found decades later.
    http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/4...%20Special.pdf

Elmer boolit with 6.5 of red dot has been good for me in that role.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Lyman's 45 edition gets into 1100 FPS range with a 5 1/2 Colt SAA as a test gun. Should be excactly what your looking for. They go as high as 8 grains unique with the kieth bullet. 2400 gets to 1100 FPS. I am using about 7.5 unique and the kieth bullet for shooting out to 200 yards on steel in 2 Colt single actions.

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot provides the most peasant surprises for performance in the .44 Special. I've got a .44 Special that outperforms with Blue Dot over 2400.

To clarify the 6.5 of red dot is in magnum brass.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Since you have HP-38 on hand I'd start there. The published .44 special max load is 5.2gr of HP-38 - the published max of W231 (same powder I understand) in .44 magnum is 11 grains. It would seem you could safely start at 5.2gr of HP-38 and work up to a load that gives you what you want.
    Just my 2 cents - that and a five dollar bill will get you a cup of Starbucks coffee.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Man
    I found a great load that closely mimicks Elmers old 2400 load using VvN110 in place of 2400. I load a 260gr Kieth swc variant with 17.5gr VvN110 & WLP primers for 1200fps in a 5.5" Colt. Shot hundreds of them without a problem. N110 is one tick slower on the burn charts than 2400 is, and should actually be making that velocity with slightly less pressure than Elmers 2400 does.

Skeeter load of 7.5 unique behind the same bullets is excellent as well, more a general purpose load though than a real stomper if that's what you're after. Proceed with caution, but in a Ruger I can't see any reason to worry when Colts have handled those type'a loads since the beginning.

Boolit Master

Try to find the June 2017 No. 308 Handloader magazine has a article on loading for the 44 special

In 44 mag brass 6.5 unique 421429 boolit great bowling pin load they fly right off the table

Boolit Master

Magnum brass: 250 SWC and 10.0 grs Unique
    Special brass: 250 SWC and 7.5 grs Unique

Boolit Grand Master

bazoo

"I'm using magnum brass 240 grain cast bullets and hornady 240 grain xtp's occasionally.

I have unique, and I know I can use any amount of it from "special" max loads to the "magnum" starting loads in magnum brass with data respective to each projectile type/weight.

However... I'd like to know what has worked for others in this power range, with this and other powders, and in both magnum and special brass."

I've been shooting cast bullets in the 44 Magnum since '68. Once I got over magnumitous I discovered Skeeter's classic 44 SPL load in 44 SPL cases and pretty close to an equivalent "medium" load in magnum cases was a lot more fun.......took about 10,000+ rounds......I was a slow learner.......

Skeeter's classic 44 SPL load in SPL cases is a 240 - 250 SWC over 7.5 gr Unique. The SAAMI MAP for the 44 SPL is 15,500 psi and I've pressure tested Skeeter's load with a 240 gr cast at 22,500 psi so it's definitely a +P load. It runs right at 850 fps out of my 6 1/2" FTBH.

In magnum cases I use 8.5 gr Unique under the Lee TL430-240-SWC, Lyman's 429360 and the RCBS 44-250-KT. The measured psi is again definitely +P for 44 SPL at 25,400. Velocity runs right at 1000 fps with excellent accuracy. I also use the same load in my old model Ruger Vaquero 44-40 under the 429360 for excellent accuracy. The 7 1/2" barrel gives up right at 1050 fps with excellent accuracy also.

Unless I want a truly gentile but very accurate 44 SPL load (any of the above bullets over 5 gr Bullseye) my search for "fun" 44 magnum loads ended as all I use are those mentioned now.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    And Larry's loads will kill anything in the lower 48 dead as a hammer and you'll recover VERY few boolits from the dispatched critters, because they knocked a nice hole all the way through!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The classic +P 44 Special load is a 429-421 over 7.5 grains of Unique. In your Super Black hawk that should get you 950 fps at about 18,000 PSI. I use that load extensively. It is good.
    NO REASON TO REINVENT THE WHEEL ! /\ This works !!

Boolit Master
    Kinda off-topic but would the +p loads discussed here be too much for a S&W M624 with a 6-1/2" barrel?

I don't want to over-stress this fine piece of machinery!

I trim for consistency... but I dont trim it down to special length if thats what you're asking.

I want data for both magnum and special brass, because I will eventually get some special brass should I ever get to cabelas with the extra money.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbceja View Post
    Are you trimming the mag brass ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast