Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 4-20 Questions

Boolit Grand Master

Don't forget to set the pot in a metal pan with low sides. It might drip. On heat up mine leaked all the metal out and into the pan it was sitting on. Watch it every second !
    For now melt lead in any pot you can find and get a little ladle , you don't HAVE to have a bottom pour pot to cast boolits with .
    I started casting using our kitchen stove and an old cooking pot.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    I very recently started casting and just purchased a new 4-20 pot, to replace my older lee pot which barely trickles out at his point.
    do you guys recommend seasoning or coating the pot interior somehow, to prevent what happened with my old pot? I'm assuming that it would be go to do it before putting it's first lead into it.

Boolit Bub
    Oh, and Thanks guys , I've already found this thread useful.

If the element is shot you can purchase a new one fairly cheap fro Lee. I replaced the liner and the element on my old ten pounder and it was like $15.00 delivered. This was a while ago so don't hold me to that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Samwise View Post
    to replace my older lee pot which barely trickles out at his point.
    Stupid question time, you did empty the pot, clean it and check the spout to make sure there was nothing clogging it.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I used a drill bit, by hand to clean my spout while it was hot, be Careful..

To prevent plugging the nozzle ever again;

I have used the LEE Drip O Matics for a long time and love em. You just need to do a couple things to keep em from dripping and going for a long time..
    * Always stir and scrape with a a wooden stick, like a paint stick.. This will keep the **** off the sides and bottom clean and will keep from plugging the pour spout with garbage in your lead.

Of course use your PPE - personnel protective equipment

I scrape, add lead or drop my sprue plate lead back in all while my mold has bullets in the cavities (keeps my mold hot)

Don't drop your sprue cuttings in the pot unless you scrape and clean some first.

********* dip the stick slow into your melt or the moisture will explode*******

Boolit Master
    Mine does not lean like yours did. And mine also came "closed". I would most certainty have sent it back for sure. When you get your new one, as already suggested, hang a sort of weight on the handle as it will help a lot with the drippy issue. A good friend of mine is going to make me a brass knob for mine, I will post pictures of it when it's done.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Master Samwise View Post
    I very recently started casting and just purchased a new 4-20 pot, to replace my older lee pot which barely trickles out at his point.
    do you guys recommend seasoning or coating the pot interior somehow, to prevent what happened with my old pot? I'm assuming that it would be go to do it before putting it's first lead into it.
    Advice for you new Lee pot, keeping the crud from building up, as randyrat explains, is all that is needed.

I suspect your older Lee pot just needs a thorough cleaning...See my post #13 in this thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-clean-the-pot
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOL.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	196035

Just ain't meant to be...

Jeff...if you weren't having so much bad luck...I doubt you'd have any luck at all! . . .

Be extra careful when you finally get it and loaded up & hot...at this rate your prolly gonna tump it over in your lap! I think you better look into a 'cup' for your jock...

No wonder things have been going so smooth over here...'Ole Murphy' has taken up residence at your house.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Trust me, I've seen the signs!

It did end up arriving late last night, and this one appears to be a winner. Smooth operation of the valve/handle, self-returns to the down position.

I should have time this coming weekend to make some attempts at what will hopefully turn out as bullets. The way I see it, I have about 10,000 .401/175 to cast.

I'm not sure whether or not this will be your first casting...forgive me if assuming wrong, but, if so...surprise yourself by preheating your mould to about 350-400*F. , more times than not your first cast will be keepers.

Boolit Master
    And take lots of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I'm not sure whether or not this will be your first casting...forgive me if assuming wrong, but, if so...surprise yourself by preheating your mould to about 350-400*F. , more times than not your first cast will be keepers.
    It will be the very first time casting. I have brand new Lee molds, a brand new hot place, and brand new Lee Pot. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    And take lots of pictures.
    Will that be for entertainment or educational reasons?

Banned
    On the 4-20, if the valve arm assembly gets bent (tweaked a little), the valve rod gets out of alignment and the pot drips. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers and tweak the valve arm to re-align the valve rod with the hole. if the little shoulder bolt that goes through the valve arm assembly comes loose you'll have dripping and opening problems. If everything is in alignment and the pot drips, snug the valve rod all the way closed and back it off, this clears/contours the hole/debris and usually stops the drip.
    To prevent dripping/contamination (like others have mentioned. Don't smelt in your casting pot, make sure you only use clean - well fluxed lead alloy with ALL the crud scraped off AND don't let your pot. completely empty. Any garbage usually stays on top of the lead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    It will be the very first time casting. I have brand new Lee molds, a brand new hot place, and brand new Lee Pot. What could go wrong?
    Go to http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting-help-videos.html, watch and re-watch the videos on casting , pot and mold prep. De-grease pot and mold, lube and smoke mold (don't get carried away with the lube, if you get it in the cavities you'll get wrinkles (a torch will help burn them out) and smoke the cavities.
    always remember all safety equipment (especially eye protection) (I like to use a small leather mallet 4 - 6 oz to tap the sprue plate and prefer lightweight long cuff TIG wielding gloves)No mater how pretty you new bullets look, refrain from picking them up bare handed until they cool.

A little of both -- a picture is worth 1000 words, it's very unlikely that you will make a mistake that one of us hasn't already made. But if/when you have a problem it is much easier to help if we can see what the problem looks like, your description may not be the same as what we see in our minds eye.

Thank you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post

it depends on how they come out!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Take the same time and effort you did posting here sending Lee Customer Service a nice letter and pictures.
    All though Lee is not fast they have been very good to me.
    Most parts have been free for me.
    That guide bolt should not be bent.

Replacement pot is here, and defective one is on it's way back.

First bullets are gonna be cast this weekend.

Don't be nervous Jeff, just cause we are all watching...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast