MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastcoLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 4-20 Questions

Lee Pro 4-20 Questions

I received my Lee Pro 4-20 a couple of days ago and anxiously got it out of the box. Gave it a look over, screwed the valve knob on, and actually read the instructions.

I've watched a lot of videos on people using the 4-20, and the operation seems pretty straight forward: Put lead in, turn it on, let lead melt, lift handle to dispense.

First thing that's striking me about the one I have is, there's very little upward and downward movement of the handle. That could be normal, but that thing that's concerning me and keeping me from plugging it in and melting some lead is, the assembly is already in the fully "up" position. IE, I can't lift the handle, but I can push it down; slightly.

Is this normal? Does the pot filling with lead somehow push the handle and spout down?

One thing I've noted is that the screw/post at the top of the bracket is noticeably canted outward. I don't see how the hole in the bracket is going to glide very smoothly with it like that?

Pics are attached, so maybe ya'll can tell me if this pot is good to go, or if there's something noticeably wrong with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee Pot 051517 (1).jpg   Lee Pot 051517 (2).jpg   Lee Pot 051517 (3).jpg   Lee Pot 051517 (4).jpg   Lee Pot 051517 (5).jpg  

Lee Pot 051517 (6).jpg  

Boolit Master

looks to me like it is firmly screwed down in the closed position. Back the stem out(up) a bit and try that for feel. Should travel up and down the same distance that you unscrewed it. The other thing that looks odd it the retaining screw and bushing that holds the rod vertical appears to be bent slightly outward. I would straighten that to vertical so your rod is going closer to vertical up and down as well as sideways.

Be careful with that screw Jeff...it'll strip out soooo easy!

Then you'll be posting for an answer to fixin that too

Let's see some casting work...or you gonna play with the spigot all day?

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    looks to me like it is firmly screwed down in the closed position. Back the stem out(up) a bit and try that for feel. Should travel up and down the same distance that you unscrewed it. The other thing that looks odd it the retaining screw and bushing that holds the rod vertical appears to be bent slightly outward. I would straighten that to vertical so your rod is going closer to vertical up and down as well as sideways.

Thank you. I'll give it a try. And that shoulder bolt is WAY tilted outward. I'm guessing it's supposed to be far closer to vertical. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Be careful with that screw Jeff...it'll strip out soooo easy!

Then you'll be posting for an answer to fixin that too

Let's see some casting work...or you gonna play with the spigot all day?

Now you got me skeered, but I'll be careful!

You mean cast actual bullets? I'm almost 100% out of excuses, so I'll get too it shortly.

I adjusted it, gave me more movement, but it still want to return to the handle "up" position. I think the angle of that shoulder bolt is forcing it up.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm with OS OK.
    fire it up and start casting...see what happens.

But, Always remember, never forget...Lee products come like a partially assembled DIY kit.
    When you twist off that shoulder bolt, we'll walk you through fixin it...there is surely a couple threads about that, just gotta search.

Oh, yeah, Lee always ships them out, with Valve adjusted shut, you'll have to unscrew it about 5 to 7 turns to get Lead to flow.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Oh yeah...forgot to tell ya...hang some weight on the stud behind that handle/knob. It'll help to keep her shut off. I have a 3/4" square nut behind mine, does the trick OK.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah...forgot to tell ya...hang some weight on the stud behind that handle/knob. It'll help to keep her shut off. I have a 3/4" square nut behind mine, does the trick OK.
    I do exactly the same.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Your handle is a little different from my old one, but no big deal. The shoulder bolt on the edge of the pot looks like it is bent outward to me.

Before you put lead in it and have a preventable leak of 6-700 degree alloy, test the valve by putting some water in the empty pot. If it is water tight dry it out and proceed; if not, fix the valve.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

A little Never-Seeze on both shoulder bolts doesn't hurt either.I made a cap for mine. temp. doesn't fluctuate as much.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

I looked at a few pictures on line and that bolt is straight up and down. No lean what so ever. If you got this from a reputable dealer, contact them and get a RA and send it back. Send them the pictures that show the bolt leaning. If they don't want to pay the shipping tell them you want a sizable credit refund.

You may also want to contact Lee.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

If I remember, when I got mine I think that I adjusted the screw out on the rim to give me travel up and down and then adjusted then screw in the vale screw until it made contact with the bottom of the pot and started to pick up the handle about to the middle of travel. If I get a little drip I take a screw driver and twist the valve screw back and forth to reset it without changing the depth.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'd try it out first and if it dripped I'd send it back. I'm a Lee fan but that looks like shoddy work or damaged in transit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

signing on to see how this plays out

agree with added weight to handle somewhere to keep it tight to spout
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

It's definitely a factory quality control defect. I spoke with the company that I purchased it from and I'm returning it to them. Hopefully I'll get a better one instead.

I hate to hear that it has to go back but you are going to spend a lot of time with that tool...it needs to be right!

Only problem now...you are going to be anxious again to get to casting...

Poor Boy! Hang in there.

LOL! Thanks. I printed a return label, and discovered the vendor is actually local. I just emailed them to see if I can just swing by their shop and exchange this one.

Thats good news...it won't be all that long before we see some of your casts huh?

Top shoulder screw is holding it up. FIX IT - or send back. Canted out like that holds the rod too high actually may never seat properly if you just bend the arm. Only thing holding the valve closed is the point in the seat and the hole in the arm. It MUST be aligned properly to work safely.
    Whatever!

Thats good news...it won't be all that long before we see some of your casts huh?
    Yes it is. Hoping for this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Top shoulder screw is holding it up. FIX IT - or send back. Canted out like that holds the rod too high actually may never seat properly if you just bend the arm. Only thing holding the valve closed is the point in the seat and the hole in the arm. It MUST be aligned properly to work safely.
    Yeah it's definitely not right. I'm returning it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast