MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: James 3

James 3

I've been studying James a bit lately. There's so much there that we can apply to our daily lives. Here's chapter 3...in case anybody is wondering, it's from the New Living Translation. I often parallel study with the KJV and NLT.

James 3:1-18
    [1] Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. [2] Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. [3] We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. [4] And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. [5] In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. [6] And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. [7] People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, [8] but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. [9] Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. [10] And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! [11] Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? [12] Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can't draw fresh water from a salty spring. [13] If you are wise and understand God's ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. [14] But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your heart, don't cover up the truth with boasting and lying. [15] For jealousy and selfishness are not God's kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. [16] For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind. [17] But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. [18] And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.

Ive found in my own life, that even with a heart to seek the Lord, my mouth still gets me in trouble. I find myself praising God, and moments later, grumbling about my new circumstance- thus blessing and cursing with the same mouth. I find myself feeling jealous and envious, and have certainly learned that there's selfishness inside of me. And this is why I need Jesus. I can relate to Paul, when he wrote "I do the things that I hate, and don't do the things that I should be doing" (my paraphrase from Romans 7).

But thank God that I'm being perfected...my mind is continually being washed by the Word of God...as I grow in the Lord, I'm growing in His grace...and I have an Advocate with my Heavenly Father. I hope readers of this will be encouraged, in one way or another.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Moderator Emeritus

tinhorn, you are not in this boat alone....my mouth says things that I just cant help saying even though I know I'm going to get in trouble.....Thanks for this post because it is a favorite and a source for trying to be a better Christian......Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I love to see James put up . James is a great teacher for us . Thank you !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

I think James is the most practical and easy to understand book in the Bible! Good to hear from you again brother!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Super Moderator Emeritus
    James is a guide book for all of us to try to live up to but so are all the scriptures.
    Isn't a good thing we are able to confess our sin and recieve forgiveness and be used by the Lord. He who says he does not sin is What?

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    ...He who says he does not sin is What?
    A liar.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

tinhorn, thanks for putting this up, certainly puts me in the same boat as y'all.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

I fall into this category for sure, Paul listed the mouth as an open sepulchre in Romans ch3 and said it is as deadly as the poison of snakes. I thank you for taking time to put this up.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    I fall into this category for sure, Paul listed the mouth as an open sepulchre in Romans ch3 and said it is as deadly as the poison of snakes. I thank you for taking time to put this up.
    Truth. Let's make a constant effort to use our mouths to encourage people in the Lord. My old pastor in Oregon used to always encourage us to "be encouragers".

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    Truth. Let's make a constant effort to use our mouths to encourage people in the Lord. My old pastor in Oregon used to always encourage us to "be encouragers".
    You and your pastor are right !

Encouragers, I like the sound of that.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Same thought was on my mind when I posted this a few days ago . We are blessed if we just think .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-you-for-today