Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 30-20 and 30x39

Question 30-20 and 30x39

I have a tc contender 30- 20 and a small ring Mauser in 30-39. Both have .308 barrels. Anyone have recommendations on molds for general use shooting, small game, plinking and some target shooting. I would love to use the same mold for both if possible. My casting experience is solely on .38, .44, and .45's plus lots of muzzleloader fodder.
    Elmo
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!

Thinking maybe Lyman 311410. Plain base 130 grain.
    Elmo

I'm kind of stumped. What is a 30-39? Is that a 7.62x39mm? If so, a .311 should work in both, assuming the bores to be within specs.

Boolit Master

a 30-39 is a .308x39mm Wildcat that I believe was designed in the 70/80s as a .30 American cartridge. Actual 30 caliber bore with bigger cartridge space than the 30 Carbine.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Thanks. Never heard of that one before.

Boolit Master
    I have a Blackhawk 30 carbine that I use 32-20 brass in, and I have good results with the 311008.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm kind of stumped. What is a 30-39? Is that a 7.62x39mm? If so, a .311 should work in both, assuming the bores to be within specs.

The one that I have is a a 7.62X39 necked down to take a .308 bullet. Run a piece of 7.62 X 39 brass into the sizing die load and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    I have a Blackhawk 30 carbine that I use 32-20 brass in, and I have good results with the 311008.

Thanks, I like the flat nose and plain base on that one. It would be good pest medicine. I didn't see it when I looked in the Lyman catalog.
    Elmo

Boolit Master
    Out of the dozen or so .30 cal. molds I have, only one of them works in my .30-20 Contender. That's the LBT .309-115-FN. My load was 5.6 gr. WW231
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

In my 30-20, I use H-4227, 205m primers with the RCBS crew, 150 FP, 165 FN and the 180 SP. The Contender is well documented to have a long throat. 1-10 twist and a .308 barrel, is normal. The 30-20 with a heavy bullet should seat out well in your TC. I have owned a 30-20 in a BF, an XL and a TC. I also shoot a 30-39, but in my custom AR-15 that I built, with a 1-10 twist .308 barrel. It works real well with the 150gr bullets, Fed 210 primers, and H-335, it will run 2,100 fps with ease and shoot 1 inch at 100. When you PC a hard cast bullet, they work fine in the AR gas system.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Thanks for the load data Sur-shot. 30- 20 data is hard to come by. My 30-39 is a small ring Mauser that I bought off Shotgun news. My buddy glass bedded it and it shoots sub minute of angel at 100 yards, but only with Those light varmit bullets, 100 grains or so. I got disgusted with it and haven't shot it in years. I never even measured the twist. I am going to give it another try. Slug the barrel and check the twist. I am going to try cast bullets this time.
    Elmo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    a 30-39 is a .308x39mm Wildcat that I believe was designed in the 70/80s as a .30 American cartridge. Actual 30 caliber bore with bigger cartridge space than the 30 Carbine.
    The .30 American I am familiar with (and I have chamber drawings, and a reamer) is a rimmed cartridge that uses 30-30 brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Thinking maybe Lyman 311410. Plain base 130 grain.
    Elmo
    Then you owe it to yourself to consider getting in on this group buy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-2017&p=405063
    It's the boolit you want in a mold made to drop perfect ones (lyman can't say that about all theirs) with the option of flat point, shallow or deep hollowpoint.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    The .30 American I am familiar with (and I have chamber drawings, and a reamer) is a rimmed cartridge that uses 30-30 brass.
    This. And Federal made a run of small primer pocket 30-30 brass headstamped .30 American in the 80's.
    A Ruger Mini 30 has a .308" barrel in 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 Numrich(Wilson) barrel I used for my SR Mauser 30-30 is .308" 1-10" twist and so far it is a treasure with cast and j-words.
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Then you owe it to yourself to consider getting in on this group buy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-2017&p=405063
    It's the boolit you want in a mold made to drop perfect ones (lyman can't say that about all theirs) with the option of flat point, shallow or deep hollowpoint.
    That link takes me to a thread about which revolver to buy. I would like to know more about the group buy.
    Elmo

"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Thanks that one is on the money. I appreciate the heads up. I am new here and don't know what all is going on. I have been shooting cast bullets for a long time but still got a lot to learn.
    Elmo

Boolit Master

Wow! Copy & paste sure failed there for me....thanks Dan for the correction.
    Elmo, if you want one of those ya might better jump on it, group buy will close & go to production @ 25 molds, there's 24 ordered right now.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."