RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Green Machine Owners...>>> finding parts?

RCBS Green Machine Owners...>>> finding parts?

Hi,
    I will be the owner of a .38/.357 unit next week, a Green Machine that looks like it was just taken out of the box. Fortunately the previous owner took exceptional care of this press...only problem is that the 'bullet seater push bar #86673' somehow went missing.

I will need to locate or duplicate this bar and would appreciate any help from any of you other owner/operators here in the forum.
    The red arrow in the picture below is the bar I'm after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unspecified.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	195521

Thank you, I appreciate any help I can find here...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

You may want to check with RCBS, I know they still had 'some' parts left on hand but were drying up. Couple years ago we had 3 of the 'GM's, I think they went to "Starreloader" '?' here on the forum, when we sent them to him all the extra parts we had went with the machines, also was a sheet from RCBS of the parts that they had remaining, may want to contact him. He is a 'super' gent and will fill you in.

Thanks SWANEEDB...I appreciate your posting, I'll PM him right away.

I was lucky to find a manual from RCBS here... http://rcbs.com/RCBS/media/RCBSMedia...EN_MACHINE.pdf
    when looking through the search function.

I'll call RCBS Monday.

Boolit Master
    I must say that machine would be fun to restore and play with.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

From what I can tell of the history of 'in-line' loading machines...this reflects the technology of pre WW-I ammunition manufacturers.

I am just mesmerized as the little brass soldiers keep marching from the left to the right and jumping off the right end as complete rounds.
    I wanted to find one of these machines for the nostalgia of the day...and there was a day when loaders thought this was the 'cat's meow' answer...my how our progressives have changed and improved over the decades.

Automated High Speed, High Volume Bullet Machine for U.S. Dept. of Defense - Duration: 18:47. Gulf Western 3,155 views
    This is an interesting video of ammunition production history.
    I've wired machinery controls all my life and automated machines still intrigue me today.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought Seasquirt or whatever his name is was the forum GM guy? Like he had 3 or 4 or them....when you could get them for $100, it was an interesting toy. But they've been over $300 for the last 4 years or so.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one and hated the thing. Good luck.
    Don Verna

dverna..."hated the thing?" What in the world could that innocent, mildly cantankerous, wee-bit difficult machine have possibly have done to you?

Spoke with RCBS just now..."eureka!" They still had the part I needed along with another couple of parts too!
    They are on their way to me now and best of all and as usual...NO CHARGE!

You just gotta love those folks down at RCBS!

Boolit Master
    I have been looking for one for a friend for a couple years as a project without luck . I find them at around 300. But I'm a sorta conservative , for a loader that everyone said wouldn't work somebody likes them . I hope you enjoy your project OS OK it looks like new .

Boolit Master
    Now get it running!!! And we want to see videos.

Hang in there...she will be premiered soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    dverna..."hated the thing?" What in the world could that innocent, mildly cantankerous, wee-bit difficult machine have possibly have done to you?
    Long story...short.

I was newly married and into Bullseye. I had been loading on my mentors Star and Camdex. Moved to a new town to work. I could not afford the Star and bought this THING. I could never get the primer system to work. Would up travelling 200 miles to load on my buddies machines many times. My wife was great about it.

I was an idiot three times. Once for buying it, second time for not being able to get it to work, third time for divorcing that woman years later.

OS OK, I saw somewhere where a guy modified the primer feed using I believe Dillon tubes (put on a blast shield too). One other thing I would look at is ditching the powder delivery system with the Little Dandy mechanism (more like Little Bastard) and using a case activated powder system.

BTW, there was a reason RCBS stopped making the THING.

Good luck!!!!
    Don Verna

Funny story...you certainly gave it a fair try though.
    But...you aren't stupid...you're a man...we are wired differently than the women and 'others'!

I've been reading researching this machine and have many ideas. Good thing I'm retired, I have time for it.

thanks...charlie

RCBS Green Machine

I purchased mine new in 1987. Other than the priming system which I could never get working 100%, the press works pretty well. I prime off the press as a separate step so it's not a big concern. Mine is set up for .45ACP. You have to keep them clean, and pay close attention during operation to avoid a powder spill if something hangs up. Otherwise, I still use it. There is a fellow in NC who makes an adjustable powder rotor for the Little Dandy which works extremely well. He's probably a member here who goes by Bailey Boat.

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	195640

Hey Cougar...
    Is that the adjustable rotor there in your press? Good looking press...clean...I intend to prime off press too, I do it for every press I own anyway, it makes for a simple life...no issues with priming, especially issues like primers not set deep enough because something decided to hiccup!
    What would you say is your number of rounds per hour?
    I don't intend to try to set any records, just go at a rate the machine dictates.
    I'm just curious if you have to baby the press in some way out of the ordinary...

thanks for your post...charlie

Yes, the adjustable rotor is in there. I think you can turn out 300 or so an hour if everything goes ok. The biggest problem you will have is having the press hang up on a brass case and dropping a powder charge on the case rail. If you have the pins pushed in to operate the Little Dandy, a powder charge will come out every time the press handle is cycled down. Thats what I mean by saying you have to pay close attention. No real babying required, but when things go wrong a mess usually happens. Don't get me wrong, the Green Machine can be finicky and as someone else pointed out they discontinued it for a reason, but once "tuned up" it works pretty well. At least it does for me.

Little Dandy Adjustable Powder Rotor

Here's a pic looking down into the Little Dandy. The allen head cap is threaded into the rotor which provides the adjustability. Works like a charm.

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	195644

I wouldn't like to do it but, if I am a 'bonehead' and can't stay on top of that measure...well, I'll put a case activated powder throw in it.
    I think I just scored a .38 WC mould...think I'll set the GM up for wadcutters exclusively.
    HP's and RNFP's can load on the T-Mag II.

It looks like Baily Boat may still be around...if I stay with the Lil Dandy I'll probably buy the adjustable rotor. Thanks for that tip!

Boolit Master

I found mine in the trash at a friends house. I asked if I could have it and he even found the owner's manual. I had it home and setup and loaded a box of .38 WC in less than an hour. I prime my cases separately regardless of the press so that aspect isn't any sort of problem. Once you get it dialed in, you will get some ammo loaded in a hurry. The only hassle for me is if you run out of cases and not paying attention, you will dump a powder charge into the case rail. A bit fiddly when you change projectiles, but if you stick with one type, you will have no problems. I really like mine.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB