Lee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2
ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: the magnum issue here and hunting ethics

Reverse magnumitius is common round this forum i've noticed. Seems that if you have a 300 weatherby.... And you want to make some loads that realize its potential, then you're an unlearned shoulder hating idiot..... but if you want to shoot cast at a reduced 32-20 power level then you're a model for what it means to be a great reloader and a caster.

Might not be everyone... but its pretty common from what i've seen.
    ~Bazoo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Reverse magnumitius is common round this forum i've noticed. Seems that if you have a 300 weatherby.... And you want to make some loads that realize its potential, then you're an unlearned shoulder hating idiot..... but if you want to shoot cast at a reduced 32-20 power level then you're a model for what it means to be a great reloader and a caster.

~Bazoo
    Most here are the true magnimitus clan. Constantly see how everyone wishes they could load their 45 colt, 44 magnum into a .308 or .300 win mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Most here are the true magnimitus clan. Constantly see how everyone wishes they could load their 45 colt, 44 magnum into a .308 or .300 win mag.
    now I think you are just trolling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    I can't remember who said that a "shooter" tries to see how far away he can get and still hit the target. A "hunter" tries to get as close as he can to the target before he takes the shot. Truth
    This is a classic statement, or should be.
    However, I don't see myself as either one.
    I normally walk back to the woods, set down where deer usually show up, and kill them when they do.
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a deer hunter, just a person who kills deer.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    There was a time, albeit briefly, that I followed the herd and sat in a stand awaiting for the opportunity. Remembering earlier days when I actively pursued the quarry in many different ways, finding much more success, I got off my butt and went after them. Label me a hunter first, shooter second. Despite my distinct preference for still hunting, I do on occasion miss having a mini-gun at my disposal. Please note that the mini does not use a cartridge normally characterized as a magnum. "Num" is what happens toward the end of the night in the bar as I recall.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

I have rifles and handguns from mild to magnum, some are blued, some stainless, some parkerized, some Kalashnikov black-paint.

I like them, I enjoy them, I shoot them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Gunny.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	196003
    Last edited by Hickok; 05-21-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting.

Boolit Master
    y'know it's funny that this same debate occurs in air-gun circles. Some saying a 12 ft lb .177 springer is more than adequate for hunting squirrels, others saying that the .22 pellets are really the minimum, others argue for higher energy all the way to people arguing that the .25 pcp airguns are the minimum buy in for hunting small game. The goalposts shift, borderline cases are argued, fieldcraft vs range is argued and legal restrictions are brought into the debate.

It's enough to make you wonder if our great great grandchildren will be having this debate over direct energy weapons
    "I'd never trust a plasma rifle in the 30 milliwatt range to put down deer over here"
    "My lowly phaser is more than capable (if I do my part)"
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

In the future, a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range will be enough for deer hunting.

Boolit Master
    Pooh, that ain't nothing compared to my ion pulse cannon.

Boolit Master
    3 people hunting a 50 yard clearing in the forest are sitting back to back. Each has a handgun, all have the same barrel length. for the argument 6 inches of actual measured barrel.
    on has a .357 using standard keith swc hp oads. 1has a .44 special usig250 grain bullet at 900fps, last has a 44 magnum using 30 grain hard cast at 1300 fps.
    Each caliber has the power to do the job. each has proven fine for deer by users here. Yet wy does th last guy need hose 32 gr slgs when standard 240grn swc at standard velocity MORE then enough

Retired Moderator, prospective father!
    If it's legal by the letter of the law what does it matter what other people use? or how far they shoot? or how close they shoot? or what grain of bullet they shoot? or at what velocity? Personal ethics can't be regulated.

I have killed big game animals with all sorts of projectiles, at close range and what could be considered long range by some, velocities under 320fps and over 3800fps, projectile weights as little as 62gr and as heavy as 525gr (arrows aluminum and carbon, pure lead, lead alloys, copper, copper jacketed), iron sights and high magnification optics with target turrets, single shots and semi autos, suppressed rifles and rifles with brakes so loud they make your ears bleed.....all legally allowed in the states I was hunting in.

These arguments don't do any good for the hunting community. If it's legal and if you feel it's ethical more power to you. Any given year on any tag I draw I'm just as likely to drag one of my stick bows out as I am to bring my 338 Lapua.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    If it's legal by the letter of the law what does it matter what other people use? or how far they shoot? or how close they shoot? or what grain of bullet they shoot? or at what velocity? .
    some people just like to argue and troll.

Boolit Master

yup ive never once saw a deer that was killed to dead! But ive tracked a good many that were not dead enough! IF you think a 357 with a jacketed hp kills better then a 475 linebaugh or a 3030 kills better then a 300 win mag "Ive Got this bridge" If anything on here someone who prefers magnum (rifle of big handgun) takes more flack then someone that errors on the low power choice. Ive been called macho here because ive taken deer with a 475 and 500 linebaugh but the same guys think nothing of using a 4570 that is more powerful.

I do crop damage shooting every year and get the chance to kill probably an average of 50 deer a year (conservative guess) I over 20 different bolt action rifles and have owned many more in about every standard and mag chamberings. Ive killed multiple deer with all of them. Bottom line is more power means quicker kills and less tracking. If you think something like a 308 will knock down deer as well as a 300 wby at 400 yards again ive got this bridge. Now will the 308 kill deer at 400 yards? Sure that's a silly question but is using a 300 wby just an exercise in macho behavior? Hardly.

Same goes with handguns. Ive killed buffalo with a 44 mag at near 44spec levels and yes it killed that buffalo. Would I have felt better armed with my 500? You bet I would have. Ive also killed deer with the 500 and 475 and never thought to myself "boy I wish a had a 357!!" As a matter of fact the 500 doesn't waste but maybe a few ounces of meat more then a 357. So if you haven't shot deer with a 300 mag or a 500 linebaugh and bad mouth someone who does it would appear to me that your just bashing because you personaly cant handle one or don't want to put in the time to master one or cant afford one. So you don't think anyone else should either. If you think a 357 shoot any jacket bullet will shred the vitals of a deer and an 450 grain lfn out of a 500 or even a 44 mag shooting a cast bullet only pokes a hole through the vitals you don't really understand handguns period. positive caster this surely wasn't aimed at you. I quoted your post because I agree with it.

[QUOTE=PositiveCaster;4046317]There is no reason to condemn those who believe in "more horsepower", that certainly works. One of my favorite cartridges is the .257 Weatherby after all. But I have had great results with a .452" 255
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-22-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    y'know it's funny that this same debate occurs in air-gun circles. Some saying a 12 ft lb .177 springer is more than adequate for hunting squirrels, others saying that the .22 pellets are really the minimum, others argue for higher energy all the way to people arguing that the .25 pcp airguns are the minimum buy in for hunting small game. The goalposts shift, borderline cases are argued, fieldcraft vs range is argued and legal restrictions are brought into the debate.

It's enough to make you wonder if our great great grandchildren will be having this debate over direct energy weapons
    "I'd never trust a plasma rifle in the 30 milliwatt range to put down deer over here"
    "My lowly phaser is more than capable (if I do my part)"
    I have little doubt this will be the case. Probably more so because of emerging technologies tend to create fanboys. The legit reason for behaving that way though is that once one has invested in one path of technology one wishes it to succeed rather than having to switch to "the winner"

Specific examples include Xbox versus PlayStation as well as Blu-ray vs. HD DVD. In the case of Xbox and PlayStation both have done well. The case of Blu-ray and hd-dvd everyone knows what happened there
    Last edited by BrutalAB; 05-22-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: To add examples
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    If it's legal by the letter of the law what does it matter what other people use? or how far they shoot? or how close they shoot? or what grain of bullet they shoot? or at what velocity? Personal ethics can't be regulated.

I have killed big game animals with all sorts of projectiles, at close range and what could be considered long range by some, velocities under 320fps and over 3800fps, projectile weights as little as 62gr and as heavy as 525gr (arrows aluminum and carbon, pure lead, lead alloys, copper, copper jacketed), iron sights and high magnification optics with target turrets, single shots and semi autos, suppressed rifles and rifles with brakes so loud they make your ears bleed.....all legally allowed in the states I was hunting in.

These arguments don't do any good for the hunting community. If it's legal and if you feel it's ethical more power to you. Any given year on any tag I draw I'm just as likely to drag one of my stick bows out as I am to bring my 338 Lapua.
    Right on Doug!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting.

Boolit Master

Greetings
    I am a personal friend of magnum cartridges. Those big cases give me lots of room for filling with slow burning surplus powders.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Home built Matchlock similar to what an early 1600 Colonial soldier might have.

Boolit Master
    Is 250 grains of BP under 1,300 grains of lead a magnum? Jerked the trigger on one of those once, seemed like it.

Thump....

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Is 250 grains of BP under 1,300 grains of lead a magnum? Jerked the trigger on one of those once, seemed like it.

Thump....
    I used to have data sheets for 53# of smokeless under 110# projectile . Of course the caliber and rifling was calculated in groove diameters .....6-8" 50 and 3" - 38s ........ Kinda over kill for huntin' though .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    my furthest shot on a doe was 365+/- yards, it was a ruger #1 in 270 with 130gr bt/imr4320. i've killed 7 or 8 deer that were 100 - 300 yards. i have killed deer(don't know the number) at 50 - 100 yards. most of my kills are under 50 yards. i've taken deer that measure in feet instead of yards. i've killed an 8pt that was 12' from me(no blind or treestand). last year my old man shot a 8pt that was 20'(no blind or treestand). most of my deer were taken at 30-35 yards.

here in swPA we have deer killed in feet and 600-700 yards. i don't and will never go 700 yards for a deer. since i've gone to cast boolits, 150 yards is more than enuff. i could do 200 yards but i set my own limits. in archery i go 40 yards, 45 yards if the buck's antlers is any good. i hunt archery with a crossbow(i'm disabled) so i don't do a compound bow anymore.

if shooting a deer/elk/whatever at 600-700 yards, then you are a shooter, not a hunter. that is just my 2cents.
    I have a journal/ledger I keep of all the deer I've killed in my lifetime . I am a couple shy of 300 at the moment . Anyway in my journal I jeep date time buck/doe cartridge/weapon distance of the shot and distance animal moved after the shot . The big kicker in this whole thing is AVERAGE distance of the shot . My LIFETIME average for almost 300 deer is 42-43 yards .
    Go Manny Pacquiao !!!

Double's , 6.5mm's , 444 Marlin , Sika Deer and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    seems like if you don't use a 38 special you are a magnum nut
    hand me the nuts and a beer
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast