Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dealing with tremors

dealing with tremors

I am 30 and have ddealt with high frequency tremors my whole life, wanted to ask someone who knows, what is the easiest sighting system for them to use. I am still a very good shot, in fact best in my family, but for instance, today I went to shoot two squirrels eating our corn. using my 22 ,the first I missed, because when I try deliberately aiming at something, the tremors get worse. its like trying to hold a full cup of coffe, if you think about it you end up spilling more. anyways I missed that first one, so I swung on the 2nd, which was a bit further away, and nailed him. probably because it was more instinctual. so is there a better way for me? technique, sighting system ( I only use iron sights right now, but am considering a 2x scope, nno more. thanks-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

OK, the gentler you hold the gun the smaller the tremors will be.
    Pretend the gun is a RIPE tomato and be easy,
    I had a fellow working for me with advanced tremors, and when he
    taught the weapons class and got to a safety wire step, he nailed it
    every time, because of focus and gentleness
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

thanks, that's something I knew about, but forgot! thanks for reminding me!

Boolit Master
    Stay away from or reduce caffeine intake.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

learn to shoot/control the moving gun.
    you start pulling the trigger before it gets to the point of impact you want.
    but you approach the dot from the same direction each time.
    in other words work with the shake by having the muscles contracting into the target.

Boolit Grand Master

I have leg tremors and Ive found that sometimes a slight adjustment in leg position stops them. Maybe a slight adjustment in your shooting position will help. More towards a bone supported position instead of muscle supported. Something along the lines of the off hand more under the action and elbow upper arm along the ribs. The offhand stance used by a lot of high power shooters and shillouette shooters.

yeah, I see airgunners using that stance too, one thing I am going to do this year is get a good set of shooting sticks, the kind with 2 legs that doubles as a walking stick. that will help tremendously as well, but I will practice moving my left hand up under the magwell or a bit forward, elbow against my chest, palm up right?

Boolit Master

I think that the shooting sticks will help tremendously. I use a tripod for my "off hand" shooting when I can. I find that the more I practice with it, the more accurately I shoot. I can sometimes approach the accuracy I get at the bench when I am focused and deliberate with them. They do take work to get comfortable with. I like to shoot my "big calibers" from the tripod because they are too punishing off the bench. I would say be deliberate and focused with each and every trigger squeeze. Much of it is in your mind and takes lots of concentration. That is for me at least. It may come easier to others, but I am not a very good shot so I have to work at it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

thanks a lot for the pointers

Boolit Grand Master

I used palm up or in the U between thumb and forefinger at the mag area. forend ring on the ARs. On my bolt guns I'm back a little farther and on the BPCRs ( Sharps, highwall, CPA and hepburns, along with my number 1s) I'm pretty much under the receiver. The sticks help but also limit vertical of the shots hunting. One other thing is to take a sitting position when you can. much solider and with elbows on or in front of your knees its very stable. Kneeling may work also but not quite as good as sitting

I also have balance issues and I shoot offhand from the waist up sitting on my stool or in my power chair.

Boolit Master
    I suffer from essential tremor and you have a lot of good advice here already. I will just add tremors are often rhythmic and practice has helped me learn to work with it because fighting it just makes it worse.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm told that l-Theanine can be used if you use "too much" Caffeine, removes the jitters supposedly; I haven't tried that. Breathing control of course is a good idea.

Boolit Buddy

A long time ago one of the better gun writers said to hold the forearm as if you were holding a bird in the palm of your hand. In other words , gently.

Boolit Master

I knew this guy that had tremors and before he would do anything that was tedious he would take swig of vodka and he said that would calm his tremors
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Bub
    work WITH the wiggle

Sounds like great advice so far. But practice as you shoot is the best thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I knew this guy that had tremors and before he would do anything that was tedious he would take swig of vodka and he said that would calm his tremors
    Doc actually told me that a shot of whiskey in my morning coffee would do fair job of counteracting the caffeine.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

im gonna look up that I-theanine, is that a vitamin you can get without a prescription?

I really appreciate all the help guys

Boolit Master
    Snap shots might be worth a try,no time for tremors to set in.

that's what happened with the second squirrel, the first I was TRYING to aim at, the second, I just blasted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast