Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication
Graf & SonsADvertise hereTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: the magnum issue here and hunting ethics

Banned
    i'm old skool!!!!

i'd take a 7mm mauser

Boolit Master
    Although it can be considered that 30 wcf DOES have the ability to claim the spot as Americas first nationally designed magnum cartridge, based on velocity and trajectory, its become a rimfire in comparison to modern calibers.

Considering that MOST people who go out every fall, barely have the skill to hit a captain crunch ceral box at 100 yards off a rest with a scope, are sold magnum calibered rifles that can accurately hit compact disks at 400 yards off the same rest...

Is it ethical? Is it helpful to anyone?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Considering that MOST people who go out every fall, barely have the skill to hit a captain crunch ceral box at 100 yards off a rest with a scope, are sold magnum calibered rifles that can accurately hit compact disks at 400 yards off the same rest...
    Your statement is at odd with what I have seen over the past 50 years in Utah, Idaho and Montana.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Your statement is at odd with what I have seen over the past 50 years in Utah, Idaho and Montana.
    THen id start talking to more people in gun stores. here in Michigan, just mention you can put a whole magazine from a rifle at 100 yards into a standard B27 target, and youll be considered a combination of carlos hathcock and Davey crocket.

Say you can hit a cerearl box at 20 yards with a handgun and youll come close to being hung for being a liar.

Boolit Master
    THen id start talking to more people in gun stores. here in Michigan, just mention you can put a whole magazine from a rifle at 100 yards into a standard B27 target, and youll be considered a combination of carlos hathcock and Davey crocket.

Say you can hit a cerearl box at 20 yards with a handgun and youll come close to being hung for being a liar.
    sounds to me like a bunch of wanna be hunters
    being proficient with your arm of choice be it bow or gun
    is the first making of a hunter
    these once a year hunters have never impressed me
    probably go out just to get away from the little women
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    All y'all lemme know when you have sorted this out.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    sounds to me like a bunch of wanna be hunters
    being proficient with your arm of choice be it bow or gun
    is the first making of a hunter
    these once a year hunters have never impressed me
    probably go out just to get away from the little women

True ill admit most of them aren't always able to say what they are shooting, ie, Remington model 14 in 35 Remington, or Remington model 788 in .243. If they know the caliber most are doing fine.

The issue is that the majority of people out hunting, are not actually hunting, they are just bouncing bullets out of the barrel in the hopes of hitting something. And most will have the same hopeful outcome as a blind guy in a bar trying to find a cute girl, they be lucky if its a female.

Boolit Master
    I'd say around these parts there MAY be 10% that fit your depiction, probably less, who only go opening weekend and shoot less than 20 rounds per year. The other 90% are sportsmen who take pride in their marksmanship and their ability to take game cleanly. Now that I think about, that 10% may have migrated here from Michigan?
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 09-18-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine inherited his Grandpa's 7mm mag. His Grandpa had always saved his brass, so my friend bought some dies and components and came over to load them up. I believe he just settled on a middle-of-the-road load between start and max and we put them all together. A couple weeks later I talked to my friend, he said he went to the range and tried them out and that they were really accurate... said he could cover his 100yd group with a dollar bill... I'm used to using currency to measure group size, just not paper currency. This is a guy who deer/duck/pheasant/coyote hunts every year and he was BRAGGING about a group that was 3"x6" at 100yds. Not quite as bad as the minute-of-cereal-box but I honestly don't doubt it, not the rifle or the ammo's fault either... which is really troubling.

Boolit Master
    In my 74 plus years of living I have realized that many People have no real patience or Long Term Attention Spans. the average modern person wants Instant Gratification of their Momentary Desires without any long term learning of the Skills necessary to Stalk or Hunt with a 'lessor' weapon.

To my thinking, "Hunting" is NOT how many "Red Clouds" you can make at 300 yards out of Varmints or small game, but how many Whole Edible Carcass you can bring home for the Pot from centered Head shots at reasonable distances with three to Five cartridges in a Single Shot rifle.

In my youth I have hit Sparrow size Game in the Head at 35 yards with a .22LR Rifle.

But I would NOT try those shots in my Present Physical condition.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    well take it conversely here. Its considered in most hunting forums that to handgun hunt ANYTHING, that you need to keep the entire loaded cylinder worth of live cartridges into a 6-8" circle at the rang eyou want to hunt at.

Thus, if billy or jilly wants to handgun hunt a deer at 50 yards, they need to keep the entire cylinders worth of projectiles in a 6-8" circle at 50 yards.

Most people who handgun hunt tend to boast of 1-3" groups at 50 yards on a "bad" day at the target range, but that raises a question.

If you spend 900 on a ruger bisley hunter, put 800$ in action work, and toss on a 400$ scope and get it tuned to shoot 2" groups at 80 yards all day long. THen why do you suddenly change the whole game to a 6-8" hit zone on actual game animals?

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    This now reminds me of the guy with "A 270 Win in a pre 64' Win M70 with Monte Carlo ebony tipped Varmint stock and $1200 worth of glass driving Barnes TSX . " That shot the mulie doe 3 times at 70 yd and had to finish her with his equally impressive long slide Colt 1911 .
    I almost had to tell him that I'd kill 3 deer in 3 shots over 3 yr with my $200 Savage ,$90 Tasco , and 150gr Hornady BTSP in an 06' from 125-210 yd ..........
    Whatever , throw all the money you want at the platform and ammo but if the pointy high speed thingy doesn't go where it's supposed to you may as well be shooting Grand Canyon buffalo with the Baltimore/Boston Express .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a barrel for a 475 Linebaugh
    does that qualify as a magnum?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    This now reminds me of the guy with "A 270 Win in a pre 64' Win M70 with Monte Carlo ebony tipped Varmint stock and $1200 worth of glass driving Barnes TSX . " That shot the mulie doe 3 times at 70 yd and had to finish her with his equally impressive long slide Colt 1911 .
    I almost had to tell him that I'd kill 3 deer in 3 shots over 3 yr with my $200 Savage ,$90 Tasco , and 150gr Hornady BTSP in an 06' from 125-210 yd ..........
    Whatever , throw all the money you want at the platform and ammo but if the pointy high speed thingy doesn't go where it's supposed to you may as well be shooting Grand Canyon buffalo with the Baltimore/Boston Express .
    Good post

Boolit Master
    That 6 to 8 inch is on game targets ( no orange pasters) from hunting positions, no lead sleds ect. And mainly, as I take it, EVERY SHOT, every time, no called fliers ect. I can hit 3 inch groups at 150 with my TC 357 Herrett, from a good rest on a average to good day. Thing is , from a hunting position, I will pull one in 10 or so out to a miss by 3 or 4 inches! For me , that is the absolute max range I will take a shot at game, and it's much less than that if my field position is a bit shaky! I don't generally hunt from fixed stands or Carry rest devices. If I can't get steady enough to make the shot at 100%, I don't pull the trigger. Theres always tomorrow, next year, another time, we arent hunting to survive! That's just my personal feelings, but I have to live with my choices. Even at that, I have lost a couple deer over the last 4 decades of hunting, things go wrong, we just try to control as many variables as possible.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Here is a question.
    I happen to know several guys that get their deer, elk or antelope most every year for the last 40 or more years, and do it with 1, 2 or 3 shots a year.
    My wifes uncle bought his 270 around 65 or so, he also bought some powder in a paper bag and some j words, and enough tools to use them. He has missed getting his deer only a handful of times since then, and as of a couple of years ago has not had to buy any new components.

Are these type of guy not sportsmen, just because they aren't out slinging lead every weekend??

These guys probably wouldn't be winning any benchrest competitions, but nobody told the deer or elk. lol

Boolit Master
    when it comes to scoped rifles I do better on moving animals or even cardboard boxes then I do on formal targets.

If a person doesn't target shoot with their ccw handgun of choice, or their home defense handgun of choice they get called out for morons on many forums, as practice makes accurate. But on hunting you don't need to at least get a few practice shots off every year?

Boolit Master
    My brother loves to go to a local range during the run up to hunting season where he shoots better groups with his TC .54 Renegade and patched round balls at 100 yards than half the folks with scoped rifles and the bullet rage of the year. The rifle has the TC aperture sight on it. He's shot that rifle for 35 years and here in GA it will kill at most usual ranges except a long beanfield shot. GF

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789