Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 38/357 loads

Boolit Buddy

38/357 loads

I have a reproduction of a Winchester 1873 in .357 cal. The rifle will handle 38 spl but only single loading in the tubular magazine. This due to the length of the cartridge and the elevator. It is possible to purchase different elevator for 38 spl, (expensive) and requires taking the rifle apart to change elevators with the consequent wear on the screws ect. It is hard enough to keep the screws tight as it is.

So, my question is, is it safe to load 38 spl to 357 overall length by seating the boolit out further to match. I would be using 38 +p brass loaqded to 38 pressures.

Thanks in advance

Bob

You can use any .38 Special brass and load to about 1.480", or slightly more. Just ignore the crimping groove on the bullet of your choice and crimp into the side of the cast bullet where the length needs to be to properly feed.

My wife and I both shoot SASS, so we have a lot of experience with shooting .38's through .357 Magnum leverguns. One of my best friends own Pioneer Gun Works, and specializes in the 73's for SASS. He shoots nothing but .38's through his 73's, and sets them up for that when he works on them for others. As long as you tailor your .38's to the gun, you won't have to change a thing.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Look at the SAAMI specs on the .38 special and .357 mag... 1.55" vs 1.59"... That's only 0.04" of difference.

Boolit Master

The rifle will handle 38 spl but only single loading in the tubular magazine. This due to the length of the cartridge and the elevator.
    Would it not be easier to just load 357 brass to 38 Special ballistics? I download a lot of my 357 loads for use in both a Marlin 1894 and in revolvers. Accuracy may or may not be improved by doing so, but as you note, reliability would be as it should be.

The cost of new 357 brass will go unnoticed in a short time.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Yes, try a 147gr truncated cone (TC) bullet loaded to 357 length.
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your replies. I had figured that would be the answer I was seeking. While I have some 357 brass I also have two ice cream pails full of .38 brass from a police range from when they used revolvers.

Bob

Look @ 358156 bullet...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Revelstoke View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I had figured that would be the answer I was seeking. While I have some 357 brass I also have two ice cream pails full of .38 brass from a police range from when they used revolvers.

Bob
    What bullet are you using? If it's large enough, you might be able to load it long in the .38 special brass and end up with something that will work in your leveraction.

I haven't tried it with .38 special brass, but with 9mm brass, if you try to load to the SAAMI max OAL with the Lee 105 gr SWC bullet, you end up with it just barely in the brass.

Boolit Master
    Sell or horse trade those 2-useless pails of 38 special for some 357 brass.