Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MiHec HTC 357-135 FP SOLID 8 cavity Aluminum/6 cavity Brass

Notice some are getting them FedEx and others are indicating having to go to the post office?

Are they shipped using different services? Curious if everyone is getting them FedEx or are some coming USPS and/or even UPS?

Boolit Buddy
    USPS Signature Required

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oteroman View Post
    USPS Signature Required
    Ditto. Got mine day before yesterday. Mail carrier brought to door, signature required. Lucky I was home.

Woohoo, 1 of my 2 molds showed up today. Guess I can at least get started breaking this one in while the other is in transit. Strange they both didn't arrive at the same time. But I'll take 1 over none at all.

What a beautiful mold. I cleaned it with hot water and dawn, then sprayed it with brake cleaner. Pre heated per my usual routine for aluminum molds.

Mixed up some 92-6-2 and preceeded to cast. First 10 were pretty sloppy and then it smoothed out. I didn't preheat quite hot enough but got close enough for the first session with it.

Had 1 cavity stick on me for maybe 20 more drops and then everything smoothed out. I cast all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Pour - set under fan for 6-8 seconds - break spure and quick flick to open and the boolits all fall out. Repeat!

2 hours from opening the box from USPS to draining the pot.

Perfection!

Running 2 of these at once is going to be a workout.

Edit: For anyone interested, I did some random sampling and got measurements between .358 and .359. Perfect for Powder Coating and sizing back down to .357-.358

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170706_160810.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    What a beautiful mold. I cleaned it with hot water and dawn, then sprayed it with brake cleaner. Pre heated per my usual routine for aluminum molds.

Mixed up some 92-6-2 and preceeded to cast. First 10 were pretty sloppy and then it smoothed out. I didn't preheat quite hot enough but got close enough for the first session with it.

Had 1 cavity stick on me for maybe 20 more drops and then everything smoothed out. I cast all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Pour - set under fan for 6-8 seconds - break spure and quick flick to open and the boolits all fall out. Repeat!

2 hours from opening the box from USPS to draining the pot.

Perfection!

Running 2 of these at once is going to be a workout.

Edit: For anyone interested, I did some random sampling and got measurements between .358 and .359. Perfect for Powder Coating and sizing back down to .357-.358

Thank you for the info! Did you use the supplied lube or any other lube?

Supplied lube. Works good and appears to be a synthetic 2 cycle oil.

Thanks for the beautiful pics rotorerrier!
    I also run 6/8 cav handles that way!
    Easier to get a good grip on the mold handles.
    Can't wait for a free weekend to give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Bub
    Inspired by rototerrier, I got busy myself this evening.

I'm enthused about this boolit. It drops for me at 140ish gr, which is good as I was seeking a heavier pill for competition loading with the softest recoil. Also very happy that I can load this longer (+.030) than anything I have yet to cast and PC.

I have always let boolits cure for at least a couple weeks. How soon can I cheat and shoot some of these?

Boolit Bub
    Got mine yesterday. USPS delivery. Had to sign. Outstanding. Thanks so much for the quality mold.

Thanks to BW and Roto for the posts.

Roto, Do you ladle cast? I can't see how having the handle turned away would give you much room under the pot. Just wondering, Always looking at odd or different ways people do things. Never know when you will run across the " WOW, that's so much easier" idea.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some over order molds.
    If you want one send me PM
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Roto, Do you ladle cast? I can't see how having the handle turned away would give you much room under the pot. Just wondering, Always looking at odd or different ways people do things. Never know when you will run across the " WOW, that's so much easier" idea.
    No, I use a RCBS ProMelt. I've tried the handle the "other" way, and find having it like this works best for me. If I can get someone to help me out, I'll get a video of how I cast. It's quite efficient this way for me.

Boolit Bub
    No, I use a RCBS ProMelt. I've tried the handle the "other" way, and find having it like this works best for me. If I can get someone to help me out, I'll get a video of how I cast. It's quite efficient this way for me.
    I'd love to see this, sir. I'm pretty new to this stuff and watching others is always helpful.

After seeing the picture and post commenting, I turned mine around that way. Was able to thread it under the Lee pot well enough, albeit slower than the other way. The problem I had was leverage to cut the sprue. It just seemed awkward.

Please post a link if you can get a vid done. TIA!

Here it is.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...86#post4096586

Figured I'd post it out in the casting forum where it was more appropriate.

Sorry it was so long, but I just did it quickly. I literally went and fired up the post after I posted that I would do the video, just to do the video! 6 minutes and 30 seconds. There's a few hiccups, but it gets the point across.

Also, when I'm running 2 molds, I use this exact method except I'm not waiting in between. I place one mold under the fan while pull the one that was already under the fan. Just a constant rotation of non stop casting.

Around the 3:20 mark is where I demonstrate my one handed drop method and try to show it as best I can

Vendor Sponsor

Here it is.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...86#post4096586

Figured I'd post it out in the casting forum where it was more appropriate.

Sorry it was so long, but I just did it quickly. I literally went and fired up the post after I posted that I would do the video, just to do the video! 6 minutes and 30 seconds. There's a few hiccups, but it gets the point across.

Also, when I'm running 2 molds, I use this exact method except I'm not waiting in between. I place one mold under the fan while pull the one that was already under the fan. Just a constant rotation of non stop casting.

Around the 3:20 mark is where I demonstrate my one handed drop method and try to show it as best I can
    www.mp-molds.com

Vendor Sponsor

Now I have some ideas...... ajajaj....
    www.mp-molds.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    Now I have some ideas...... ajajaj....
    This is why I kept asking you for a cam for my 4 cavity brass mold. Without the cam, I have to break out the whacker and things just aren't as smooth. The cam is so much nicer to work with over having to whack the plate open. Fortunately you offered this new 8 cavity mold and solved my problem.

Boolit Master
    Just ordered one. Excited to give this one a shot.

Boolit Bub
    Any 8 cavity aluminum molds left?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast