RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useable power chair for outdoor useage?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Those aren't wheelchairs, they are riding mowers. The range should be OK, but they are far, FAR too noisy to be taken to an event like a fair. Heck, they are too noisy to be running down a town sidewalk.

An electric version would be no problem.

They are wheelchairs, I do wish mine would cut the grass though.

CG you'll have to wade through some replys to collect the information your looking for..
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-14-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Mine is silent enough to deer hunt out of it

Yep it's electric they do have a wire tray to carry a small generator if you need more distant than the 7 to 10 mile range, I suggested that when Doug delivered my chair and told me it will work with a cord,my day to day power chair doesn't work when plugged in. I stay away from crowded places as much as I can,but not because of my wheelchair I stay in my comfort zone most of the time.
    And electric eliminates the problem.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the one I'm seriously considering is the same as SSGOldfarts. Action trac chair. They are electric only 4 miles an hour speed and 10 mile range. 2 wheel chair batteries and electric motors. One thing I may do for fairs and such is to make a set of fenders so the tracs arnt out in the open. while I have never been told no when Ive asked for fellow members to post a target or paint gongs at the club. Or friends and or family to help me at fairs and threashers. Its a pain and would be nice to be more self sufficient getting around at these events. A Lot of the local fair grounds parking is pretty rough areas and a wheel chair may take 2 people pushing and or pulling to get it around. This unit would go over thru it and allow me and friends family to be side by side.

And electric eliminates the problem.
    Who's - yours? - If someone is handicapped and to get around in all conditions I don't expect them to be stealthy and rigged for silent running - I don't even like electric cars - darned dangerous when you can't hear it moving up behind you.

The Generator option would seem to give the best of both worlds

As for going somewhere and needing help check out SPOT personal locator beacon.
    Last edited by Artful; 05-14-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Does seem quite capable
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

It is very difficult to say in print with out the possibility of it being misunderstood.So please understand that what follows is in no way meant in ANY disrespect.Just something to consider.

The Wife and I transport Vetrans at Camp Perry every year since 2010 to the range on gas powered golf carts.These are Combat Wounded,many amputees in the bunch.In ALL those years no one has had any issue with the noise.Sometime's just a little consideration for someone less mobile is called for.
    Those aren't wheelchairs, they are riding mowers. The range should be OK, but they are far, FAR too noisy to be taken to an event like a fair. Heck, they are too noisy to be running down a town sidewalk.

An electric version would be no problem.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Using those things on your own land would be fine, but trying to take one in public (like a fair) would make you a pariah.
    I would hope it wouldn't make you a pariah, but it might make you told not to. As desert forces have found out, tracks reduce fuel range, or if electric increase battery size. For the person who can stand but not walk far, there is a lot to be said for the off-road versions of the Segway. You could use an ordinary car to get it where you will use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_PT

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Who's - yours? - If someone is handicapped and to get around in all conditions I don't expect them to be stealthy and rigged for silent running - I don't even like electric cars - darned dangerous when you can't hear it moving up behind you.
    It mystifies me that I am apparently the only one who finds running a motor like that through an event crowd unacceptable.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't run a gasoline diesel or propane fired motor indoors or in a crowd not because of the noise so much as the exhaust smells and heat. Also the possibility of carbon monoxide fumes. But then I also don't use cell phones in crowds

Boolit Master
    Country Gent you can use diesel power vehicles in confined spaces. You can not use gasoline vehicles in confined spaces. Contractor wanted to use a gas ATV to haul rebar into a tunnel we were relining. Told them NO unless everyone else left the tunnel. General contractor didn't go for that . Finally borrowed a diesel bobcat set up to work underground to pull the rebars. Diesel powered equipment probably shouldn't be used in highly populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I wouldn't run a gasoline diesel or propane fired motor indoors or in a crowd not because of the noise so much as the exhaust smells and heat. Also the possibility of carbon monoxide fumes. But then I also don't use cell phones in crowds
    As it should be, the choice should be yours...
    that said I have been at more than one gathering with venders running generators and running back and forth with ATV/lawn tractor/cart with internal combustion without issues. And l dare say I have been in plenty of crowded places with people on their cell phones competing with each other.
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    For the person who can stand but not walk far, there is a lot to be said for the off-road versions of the Segway. You could use an ordinary car to get it where you will use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_PT
    Hmmm

I don't see this in mud or rough terrain - if your own a path or road yeah
    but not really good of what I would call off road
    je suis charlie

Perma-Banned
    Wasn't the inventor of the Segway killed riding one?

Perma-Banned
    Yep he was! I just googled it and read about it, he ran off an embankment and was killed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    My wife uses a rental power chair when ever we go to the fair. People who object to other people using mechanical devices to get around need to be kneecapped and have their hips broken. People who need help getting around didn't do it because it is fun. They do it because it is the only way they can reasonably get around.
    Most do and I agree with you but there are always those that are just lazy or want special privileges much like those frauds that have "service animals" and make it harder for those that actually need them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

I don't see this in mud or rough terrain - if your own a path or road yeah
    but not really good of what I would call off road
    I don't doubt there is a lot of terrain where those tracked vehicles would be far superior, but the OP seems most interested in fairs and ranges, and there is many another thing on which you can get killed driving off an embankment.

A long time ago I had myasthenia, and if you must have a serious illness of the nervous system, it is the pick of the bunch. It has no symptoms but extremely fast tiring, which in my case meant falling over and not being able to get up again. I didn't find out until afterwards that people can die when the respiratory muscles are affected, and in my case they weren't. You get temporary remissions, which in the past didn't last, but nowadays the removal of the thalamus gland, particularly during a remission, is frequently a cure, and in my case was practically total. I often wonder if this explains the chap in the Bible who took up his bed and walked when somebody told him he could.

The point is, in my condition I could have pulled the Segway out of the sort of jam just about any device could have got into.

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Yep he was! I just googled it and read about it, he ran off an embankment and was killed
    Actually Jim Heselden, known locally as Jimi, acquired the Segway company from its U.S. inventor Dean Kamen in December 2009.

Jimi was the one who died in 2010, but Dean Kamen is still working on inventing new products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    The point is, in my condition I could have pulled the Segway out of the sort of jam just about any device could have got into.
    Don't know if everyone can wrestle a Seway x2 (outdoor model) that weighs 54 kg out of the mud/snow.
    Last edited by Artful; 05-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Grand Master

I have considered the segways different models but with my balance issues ( or lack of balance) I haven't looked at them hard. I have looked at a lot of different things, 6 wheeled power chairs, Interesting with a lot of the same issues as the tracked chairs. turning by controlling wheel speeds. Suspension issues with 63 wheels on a side. Inflatable tires that can go flat. The tracked chairs with actual rubber tracks. These tracks run from 6" wide to 12" wide don't go flat, but do have bogey wheels that create some issues with maintenece. The Segway 2 wheel personal transporter. Interesting and looks versatile but must have balance and stand to use. Carrying odds and ends could be tricky also. Also the range of standard power chairs. In paved parking lots and floors these do well, getting off into grass and rough surfaces not so well. The Segway seems easiest to transport and move around. the others will require a truck or special rack to transport.. I have been looking at these for several years off and on but now its getting to be needed.

Boolit Master

CG you might want to look at the quiet cat, they are a bit cheaper to buy, kinda looks like a scooter they also have quite cat all terrain bikes with motor,even cheaper yet. I've been thinking about one of these but not sure I can handle it with one hand??? The track chair can be a hassle to load and carry around, guess I'm on the lazy-side in my old age.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

I'm looking at their platform for transporting that fits in a receiver hitch and ramps on the side. Most of my use will be here at home and around the yard and getting mail in. I will probably mount a smv sighn on the back just for when I'm close to the road.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast