Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useable power chair for outdoor useage?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    They look to be built like little Tanks!
    They are built like a tank.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Well its down to about 2 weeks now on delivery time. I'm getting ready for it. I'm thinking thru a vehicle to carry it around in and a way to load and unload it. I'm looking at the mid sized ford transporter possibly with the raised roof, for ease of entry for me and also loading in loading. Ive researched the boom lifts that sit in the back corner and just pick it up and rotate to set it in the back. On the van type vehichles this could be tricky as to heights and swing. I'm also looking at making a set of Hitch mounted ramps in a tri fold style. Be easy enough to set up and when not needed pull the pin and side out of receiver. The Boom lifts are expensive to buy and installation may be involved. I can see it needing tied to frame thru the floor. I got the small normal Geo cruiser folding power chair a week ago and its been great its only 60 lbs with the 2 batteries. My Daughter and load and unload it. Not as good in the yard or rough areas but also not 350 lbs. That's where I'm at now on this project. Until I get the trac chair and transporter the rest is simply thinking and working up

Which van? Like this?

Ford Transit Connect?

http://www.nor-calvans.com/transit-connect

This is the full size Transit

Which does come in 3 lengths and 3 heights.

I don't see a Transporter model
    https://www.fordmobilitymotoring.com...s#.WT-AhdQrK9I
    Last edited by Artful; 06-13-2017 at 02:25 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Have you seen this hitch mounted system
    Lift N Go scooter/wheel chair hauler

Weight Capacity 350 lb
    Last edited by Artful; 06-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I have considered the outside racks on the receiver hitch. Finding one wide enough for the track chairs roughly 30" width is hard and 380 lbs that far behind the back axle may create issues in wet slippery conditions steering. The transit is the model I'm looking at with the extended wheel base. By getting the chair inside most of the weight will be over or between the wheels not behind it. I also Have some concerns with this chair setting out where everyone can "play with it" when parked in attended. I had the transporter wrong it is the transit. Looked at one Sunday and it appears to be ideal with plenty of room for gear the chair and with 1 back seat 5 passengers. It has a 110 inverter so chair can be charged while driving even.

Boolit Master

Sir look real hard at the space in that Transit use a tape measure,my 22" track chair wouldn't fit between the wheel wells, I have a full size Chevy express van and the wife has a Chevy city express( the little van).my van has the lift mounted to the rear hitch it's for my regular power chair . Whichthechair hangs 450# in my case off the rear makes very little different in handling..
    I use a small trailer for the tank/track chair,most of the places I use the "tank" I drive in with my 4x4 dodge ram pulling the trailer,but it easy to load with ramps into a Van or truck chair does all the heavy work..
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-15-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Fixing spell check mistakes

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

SSGOldfart what kind of trailer (special built or like HD Harbor Freight)?
    je suis charlie

Boolit Grand Master

Talked to the Ohio distributor yesterday and the proposed ship date for my chair is 7-10 now. So its getting close. I had hoped to have it for the 4th of July to use it for the fireworks, who dosnt want to take a recliner to them LOL. I rough measured the Transit ( 1/2 ton version) and it looks good with only 1 set of back seats. I talked to Mobility works in Toledo and they said its good for 5 passengers and the chair in back plus some room for gear or odds and ends. I'm waiting till I get the chair and can measure accurately and know for sure. If worse comes to worse a pick up with a jib boom in the bed, or power tailgate LOL.

Boolit Grand Master

Well as of yesterday the chair still hasn't shipped. The distributor is thinking it will ship Monday or Tuesday to them Then some tests and set up and to me. No I haven't been out reclaiming the wild with it ignoring you guys. LOL.

Boolit Master

Art it's a simple 5X8 from TSC they run about 599.00. Got mine for$499.00 on sale awhile back,it has expanded metal flooring so the dirt from the track chair falls through. your tracks will pickup dirt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Well as of yesterday the chair still hasn't shipped. The distributor is thinking it will ship Monday or Tuesday to them Then some tests and set up and to me. No I haven't been out reclaiming the wild with it ignoring you guys. LOL.
    You will be soon,good Ideal to wait until you have the chair in hand before committing to a vehicle to carry it. I was looking at the smallest Ford Transit and took the chair with me to pick it up Surprised it wouldn't fit. When I finally got that mess straighten out We picked up a Chevy City Express it fits there just no room for anything Else.so I traded with my wife for a full size Chevy Express 1500,but I've only used it a few times to haul the tank.I prefer my truck and trailer.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I'd be looking for a $3K to $5K used short bus with lift installed already

Look for one with a used Cummins Diesel with 120K to 150K miles or less,
    (they should be good for 400K to 500K) and repaint it with a sense of HUMOR.

or more to my tastes
    Last edited by Artful; 07-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Country Gent don't install a rack behind your vehicle. Bad weather will get it very wet and very dirty. A receiver hitch installed on the front of your vehicle will let you put a ramp in front and keep your chair reasonably clean in bad weather. A BBQ cover works to keep my wifes chair reasonably dry in rain. Enjy your new chair and the increased mobility

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure a chair on front will be legal in Ohio. I have thought about it though. Ive looked at a lot of options on the internet, Lifts mount trailer ( Bruno Chariot), power tailgate from the larin lift to actual power tailgates ( tommy lift and several others) vehicle mounted lifts that are under electric hydrolic power, Vans that squat to lower them closer to start with. Jig cranes that mount inside and swivel things in.
    Last edited by country gent; 07-17-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Fix an ooops

Boolit Master

be sure you post a few pics when your chair gets there and be careful there is a small learning curve to using these track chairs

Boolit Grand Master

I just heard from the distributor chair ships today actually goes out tomorrow. She will have it Tuesday or Wensday. The uncrate and set up a little programming and its on to me. She and her husband will deliver it. A little time going over maintainence and upkeep. what to look out for and Ill be way more mobile. I'm excited now.

Boolit Grand Master

They are delivering the chair tomorrow between 1:00 and 2:00. May be a little longer than the demo was as they will go over warranties use of loading unloading tieing down maintenance and other adjustments . Tonight is Christmas eve for me. LOL. I have a couple friends coming out for this to make sure everything is remembered. I picked up a 6'X9' utility trailer last week to haul it temporarily. I may need to make an extension for the ramp gate on it though. I will know tomorrow for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

The chair is here and all set up. I was trained and shown its use and how to be safe. ( my new trailer is going to need a ramp extension on it). Its slower than the geo cruiser chair and not quite as quiet but it has way more power and stability. EVEN with the wider, longer base bumps and angles seem steeper and rougher due to the tracks, But with the added four point harness I'm secure and stable in the chair. I got both the seat belt and harness so I can use the appropriate one for what I'm doing. I am pleased with it. The black with red splash really looks sharp to.

Boolit Grand Master

Heres a couple pics of it.Attachment 200676Attachment 200677

Maybe get an idear here, think of your interested terrain, maybe even lower the gear ratio, come up with own design , build it, and not break the bank.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast