WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I hook up propane to a NG stove for testing?

Boolit Master

Can I hook up propane to a NG stove for testing?

I bought a wedgewood and am refurbishing it.

I've gotta be 50-75 feet from the nearest NG line in my house. The stove also weighs something like 500 pounds so I don't want to move it and find out need rear access to fix the burners or exhaust manifolds.

Can I hook up propane to test the pilot lights and ignition? I know the heat output will be all wrong, and that the nozzle diameter is what dictates propane vs NG, but for the purposes of pilot light testing and ignition testing, can I just use propane, get it running reliable, THEN move it into my house?

I have had zero luck finding bottles of natural gas.

Boolit Bub
    It will burn hotter than indicated. Propane has more heat per volume than natural gas. I hooked up a " natural gas" grill to propane and never had trouble.

Vendor Sponsor

Funny...

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    No, different pressures required, not safe, especially if done inside.
    Chris

Moderator Emeritus

Many stoves have a NG/Propane orifice stashed under a cap in the gas system... easy to swap it.

Boolit Bub
    Well, yes don't be a dummy and run a high pressure propane regulator. Either run a low pressure regulator or variable pressure regulator

Roughly $15 for a low pressure propane regulator. Propane or RV dealer should have them. Online is easy.

Boolit Master

As long as you are just testing there will be worries. You will get some soot but not much.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    dont open the tank valve much 1/8 of a turn

Boolit Master
    This reminds me of watching Red Skelton locally and live just before he passed away, and it goes like this:

"Did you ever hear the one about the guy who jumped out of the airplane?"

"He pulls his cord and nothing happens ........

............. he pulls his emergency cord ................

.......... and still nothing ............

Now he's wondering what's next?

He looks down and sees a fellow coming up and yells down to him .......... Hey do you know anything about parachutes?

The fellow going up answers back ......... No, but do you know anything about Coleman gas stoves???"

I would get the right hardware to keep things safe because fire plays for keeps.

Be safe and Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master

did it to a outdoor stove my wife used for canning, stove was a freebie and we only have propane out here. I did not want to change out orifices or spend any money on it as it was just temporary, worked fine for 2 years until we got her permanent outdoor kitchen done. only issue is soot on bottoms of pots and the oven is useless because of the soot.

I have converted both ways before. NG uses a larger jet size than propane and NG uses lower pressure than propane. There are externally adjustable (generally red) high pressure propane regulators that you can start at "0", these are pretty good for testing.

I even have fittings and valves that I can run engines on with these. Academy and other places sell them for the larger fish/turkey fryers most often, most of the ones for grills and such are pre set and not user adjustable, at least without a little destruction and some are not adjustable at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I would contact a local Gas fitter I'm sure he would have the appropriate fittings, it does not take long to change the unit over and it should not cost much and it will be cheaper than the damage you can cause to yourself and your property.

Boolit Master

An appliance repair guy clued me into a good tip. Said use a rubber hose. Just like a bunsen burner. It's just a temporary test. Lets me source a long hose cheap, and test the stove with the proper gas.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    An appliance repair guy clued me into a good tip. Said use a rubber hose. Just like a bunsen burner. It's just a temporary test. Lets me source a long hose cheap, and test the stove with the proper gas.
    A shop air-tool hose works great for propane or natural gas with the correct adapters. If it's only 50-75 ft from the nearest natural gas, I would probably just do that since I already have that much air hose and if I didn't have the adapters, I could easily pick them up at Home Depot for a couple of bucks.

To run natural gas in a device that is setup for propane, you need a larger orifice. For a propane grill, drilling out the orifice with a 1/16" drill is about right. If I was trying to go the other way like the OP is doing in this case, I would probably just barely crack the propane supply valve to control the flow of propane instead of relying on the controls on the front of the natural gas device.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master

I'm thinking garden hose. 100 feet for $15, ID is 5/8", I already have the barb fittings to NPT, I can hook it up to my 1/2" water heater line and go straight to my 3 foot stove line.

Only thing I can't seem to find is a gas valve that connects to gas fittings rather than NPT. Not really needed but I'd value the second shutoff point.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking garden hose. 100 feet for $15, ID is 5/8", I already have the barb fittings to NPT, I can hook it up to my 1/2" water heater line and go straight to my 3 foot stove line.

Only thing I can't seem to find is a gas valve that connects to gas fittings rather than NPT. Not really needed but I'd value the second shutoff point.
    It is most likley a 45* bull nose fitting or flair, Home Depot or Lowes or TSC just might have it.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Many stoves have a NG/Propane orifice stashed under a cap in the gas system... easy to swap it.
    What she said

Boolit Buddy

I normally just use the ball valves like this one from Home Depot.

There's not much pressure involved with natural gas, so this sort of valve is rather overkill, but it's reasonably priced and can be used for other things later on if the need arises.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, the range is convertible. The reg is at the rear of the stove or one will need to be added. Ensure it is set to LP. Turn the pilot adjustment screw in until the flame burns blue but barely yellow is still ok. IME it is nearly impossible to burn lb without a bit of a yellow tip. Pilots should be crisp and not floating or wavering as a candle flame does. The burner valve is adjustable on anything up to the early 90's. Take a 9/16" wrench and turn the orifice in until it bottoms out. The center hole is for LP there is a tapered cone that lets out extra gas for Natural. Do the same with the oven. All air shutters will need to be adjusted, in general for LP it means opening them but the most important part is ensuring they light from the pilots and burn with a proper flame cone. You should see at least three different cones in the burner flames a sharp inner cone a larger center cone and an outer cone that should have only a minimum of yellow. They should be crisp and defined. PM if any questions.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast