WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 1911 grip safety problem

Boolit Master

1911 grip safety problem

I wa tired of my left index finger knuckle bumping the ambi safety up every 5th round so I replaced the ambi safety on my STI Target Master with a right hand only thumb safety. Thought I did a decent job of fitting it, the thumb safety works fine. But, while dry-fire testing I notice that once in a while the pulling the trigger will activate the hammer without me touching the grip safety. Also the grip safety feels like it's not under as much tension as before. Any suggestions on how to correct?
    thanks

Boolit Master

make sure you got the leaf spring back in as it was.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    ^^^^^^^
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Pulled the sear spring out, added a little more tension to the grip safety leaf, put it back together & everything seems to be good now. Will try it at the range Tuesday. To be on the safe side will try 1 then 2 then 3 rounds in magazine. Really glad to get the ambi-safety removed. Learned something too.

Vendor Sponsor

Try it some more at home before you load it. With the thumb safety off, hammer cocked on EMPTY CHAMBER, pull the trigger with the weak hand index finger and hold it back, then use the thumb of the strong hand to see how much you can depress the bottom of the grip safety before the hammer falls. If it is a pretty good ways it is probably correct. If it is only a tiny bit it is not correct.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I'll try that,
    thanks

Boolit Master
    Try the other suggestions first, if they all fail try a different grip safety.
    There may not be enough engagement there, I had to TIG weld a little extra on mine once.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Try the other suggestions first, if they all fail try a different grip safety.
    There may not be enough engagement there, I had to TIG weld a little extra on mine once.
    Or, you can use a small ball peen hammer and an anvil, to stretch the nose of the safe engagement a few thousandths.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!