RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up on cheap uppers

Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    Buy junk .... get junk.
    well, for only being here for a few months, it didn't take long to get banned.

Boolit Master
    I have a freedom upper with melonite barrel. I bought the cheapest bcg I could find and put it on a blemished PSA lower.

I have weaver fixed four on it and I can put them all in an inch and a half at 100. I do mean all of them.

Never had a failure of any sort. There might be a noticeable difference in quality if I had a registered full auto group, but a of now, I plan on putting 20,000 rounds down the pipe. If the groups open to 2 inches, I still have another 10000 rounds before I have to think about buying another 69 dollar barrel.

Nuf said.

Generally you get what you pay for, but occasionally there are places that give you good product value for your dollar. That is what I think of PSA.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, you don't always get what ya pay for, but in this case, ya sure get a lot for what ya pay. Remember the same 1200-2500$ rifles just a couple years ago.
    The quality of these uppers is up to mil. specs, just like the rest. That means it's good enough for our troops in harm's way.
    Most mfgs of components ramped up before the election, in anticipation of great demand. Well, the demand disappeared shortly after Trump won the election and started to repeal Os mischief.
    Having a warehouse full of lower demand inventory doesn't leave capital for other production so fire sales are rampant.
    I have several of the afore listed uppers and am totally satisfied, and I paid more for them.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Nope, you don't always get what ya pay for, but in this case, ya sure get a lot for what ya pay. Remember the same 1200-2500$ rifles just a couple years ago.
    The quality of these uppers is up to mil. specs, just like the rest. That means it's good enough for our troops in harm's way.
    Most mfgs of components ramped up before the election, in anticipation of great demand. Well, the demand disappeared shortly after Trump won the election and started to repeal Os mischief.
    Having a warehouse full of lower demand inventory doesn't leave capital for other production so fire sales are rampant.
    I have several of the afore listed uppers and am totally satisfied, and I paid more for them.
    I'll just point out that the PSA uppers mentioned in the original post are NOT milspec. The barrels are not chrome lined. Whether this is good or bad is arguable.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/646140980

Is this junk? If so, why?

Not trying to be argumentative but looking for advice and knowledge. This is for SHTF and fun shooting. Not looking for MOA performance to 300 yards. If it will hold 8" at 300 yards that is good enough.
    If I could find one for $419. it would be mine.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I'll just point out that the PSA uppers mentioned in the original post are NOT milspec. The barrels are not chrome lined. Whether this is good or bad is arguable.
    They have several different uppers to varying "quality" standards. Yes, some of them are chrome lined, some are also bare steel, some are stainless and some are melonite treated. The idea of needing a chrome lined barrel is not as benefitial when comparing to melonite. Melonite is quickly becoming the coating of choice.

Boolit Buddy

Smile couple things,

Pick them up now and store them away. All this is cyclical anyhow
    Im afraid we will see the cycle go around sooner than many think, really hope Im wrong,

---------------------------------------
    Melonite is quickly becoming the coating of choice,

while Im still of the chrome bore crowd, (just cause it don't rust), does anyone have working knowledge on melonite, Im still on the side lines on this, if anything convince me why I ought to go ahead and get things with a melonited finish, (Im not wanting to argue, just not familiar with it, )
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    I have one, and have never had any problems with it. Also own a DMPS LR-308 24" rifle, and it's one of the guns I'll never get rid of.

Used to own a pair of AR's with DPMS uppers on them, but lost those guys in my divorce.

Boolit Grand Master

Perhaps, but I would wager that the lion's share of those budget ARs never see 5,000 rounds.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Seems a good way to enter the AR-blackout family, or that 50 Beowolf I've long admired.... Trouble is I could never get better than marksman with an AR. Never did like pistol grips. Humph. For SHTF, having my carry piece be the most popular rifle in the US makes sense, in terms of scavenging parts, but I'd have to really clamp down on learning how to use it!
    Still, I do prefer my 30-30.

Tempting!

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Perhaps, but I would wager that the lion's share of those budget ARs never see 5,000 rounds.
    Bet you could say the same thing about the high dollar ones owned by those Smooth Operators.

Boolit Master

I have bought a number of AR15 uppers from Delta Team Tactical recently.
    They have parts in several price ranges.
    The less expensive ones have been satisfactory for me.
    Y.M.M.V.

Jack

Boolit Master

I have a couple BCM AR15s and have never had any problems after thousands of rounds. I shot many, many Colt M16s in the military for qualification and training and had some problems. I think the malfunctions were due to magazines that should have been discarded years ago. That is the extent of my personal experience.

I have spent many hours reading the dedicated AR15 forums which have reached a consensus that the less expensive rifles are prone to failure when worked hard (e.g., training class). I have no personal experience in this area.

It does stand to reason that parts manufactured by different companies will vary in quality. I wanted to be certain I got good products and the price when I made my purchases wasn't that different.

Boolit Bub
    Are the PSA's comparable to Anderson? I've used Anderson, older DPMS and RRA.

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Just saw this: https://gunprime.com/product/dpms-pa...d-ar-15-60531/

$399 + $20 shipping

Aaaand... There's a $75.00 rebate going on them right now (started today, goes though 7/30).

Boolit Bub
    $345 after rebate?
    Man...

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post

$399 + $20 shipping

Aaaand... There's a $75.00 rebate going on them right now (started today, goes though 7/30).

Yup!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post

$399 + $20 shipping

Thanks Jeff

I ordered two today and sent the link to my son. You cannot buy the parts and assemble one for that price.
    Don Verna

You're welcome, Don! I'm probably going to order one or two myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast