Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yard sale pickup , worth a try ?

Boolit Master
    Give it some time it will break lose.Add a little heat to it be careful of the finish just so it expands and contracts thats how I used to get frozen Garand barrels out had one that took 8 days!

Boolit Master
    My experience was up to speed was maybe 5 miles an hour. Even so taking the time to deal with them ended up providing a press I wanted for decades and would never pay for new. I probably still have some parts PW sent to me that were incorrect and others were returned as they were for the other metallic reloader which was obvious to me as I have one purchased a long time ago and appreciate the solid old fashioned quality of it. I don't have a Dillon, but isn't the cost of the 550 about $500? Maybe this is why PW now seems to concentrate on other products. The press pictured is an older one with the brass plate. Mine also has the brass plate and a very low serial number which makes me like it even more. This is making me want to start looking for a used CH press which I would love to have. $30 plus maybe a hundred dollars of parts for this PW press is an outstanding value you could probably sell on fleabay for 2x that amount of money and maybe more.

My expectation is they have focused on their shot shell loaders and other products.

Banned
    If Kroil doesn't work try
    DIY Rust Remover
    “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    the torque required to loosen them.
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

When I was a kid with my Mec 600 Jr.; The Ponsess-Warren was the ne plus ultra of shotshell loaders. It may well still be.

Unfortunately looks like I will have to do a complete repaint as it is flaking off parts of the main body also.
    Too bad as the original paint is a very nice krackle finish .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Excellent score. Please post pics of the restoring process.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

To get the rust off of those smaller parts I'd do the following as it has worked for me man times when refinishing lanterns and Coleman items: Get a small plastic tub, a box of washing soda, two pieces of mild steel rod, a car battery charger and a gallon of hot water. Dissolve about 3/4 of a cup of washing soda in a gallon of warm to hot water. Using wooden cloths pins, pint the two rods to the side of the tub (the tub should be about 4 inches across and 8 inches deep.) 180 degrees apart. Bridge the steel rods with some lamp cord to complete a full looped circuit. Fill the tub to the top with water. Now using some steel wire and a piece of dowel, suspend the parts in question fully submerged in the solution and mid-way between the two rods. Hook up the charger to the steel rods and the suspended part. I'll have to look up which gets the positive and which gets the negative but it is important. When you give it power you will see bubbles forming and particles moving from the rusty part to the steel rods. (it is imperative that you degrease everything before you start) In a few hours you may have to rotate the part and clean the sludge off of the rods. A full 12 hour cycle will usually remove all of the rust leaving only clean, rust-free steel.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Unfortunately looks like I will have to do a complete repaint as it is flaking off parts of the main body also.
    Too bad as the original paint is a very nice krackle finish .
    I will have to take a look out in my shop. I have used what looks to be that color crackle finish in the past. If I still have a can I will post the info.

Boolit Master

Success! I still had a can out in the shop. It is a green but I have used the gray in the past. Here is the info off the can.

HAMMERITE
    Hammered Metal Finish

Hunting Speciality Products Inc.
    265 S. West Street
    Lebanon, OH 46036

Hope they still exist. It has been a few years since I have bought some.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Success! I still had a can out in the shop. It is a green but I have used the gray in the past. Here is the info off the can.

HAMMERITE
    Hammered Metal Finish

Hunting Speciality Products Inc.
    265 S. West Street
    Lebanon, OH 46036

Hope they still exist. It has been a few years since I have bought some.

Jay
    Will chase that down ...
    thanks to all here with all the valuable input , will definitely try these techniques mentioned ..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Perma-Banned

I would have grabbed it myself.

Yard sale special ....
    came across a PW Metallic 2 , rusted in places and with that I have poured Kroil oil in all the right places .
    We will see if anything loosens up as of right now , it does not want to rotate ....
    what the heck , for 30 bucks .... thought I would roll the dice. ...

Attachment 195389

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    To get the rust off of those smaller parts I'd do the following as it has worked for me man times when refinishing lanterns and Coleman items: Get a small plastic tub, a box of washing soda, two pieces of mild steel rod, a car battery charger and a gallon of hot water. Dissolve about 3/4 of a cup of washing soda in a gallon of warm to hot water. Using wooden cloths pins, pint the two rods to the side of the tub (the tub should be about 4 inches across and 8 inches deep.) 180 degrees apart. Bridge the steel rods with some lamp cord to complete a full looped circuit. Fill the tub to the top with water. Now using some steel wire and a piece of dowel, suspend the parts in question fully submerged in the solution and mid-way between the two rods. Hook up the charger to the steel rods and the suspended part. I'll have to look up which gets the positive and which gets the negative but it is important. When you give it power you will see bubbles forming and particles moving from the rusty part to the steel rods. (it is imperative that you degrease everything before you start) In a few hours you may have to rotate the part and clean the sludge off of the rods. A full 12 hour cycle will usually remove all of the rust leaving only clean, rust-free steel.
    I suggested electrolytic derusting 20 posts ago, but it seems you and I are the only ones that are aware of it. Everybody else wants to go full 'Love Canal' with the petro-chemicals and get a bigger hammer when it won't move....

(Love Canal was a toxic waste super fund site in the early '70s...not some prurient remark...)

I knew what you meant. First EPA superfund site
    R J Talley

Boolit Buddy
    I knew what you meant. First EPA superfund site
    You'd be surprised by the number that wouldn't; somebody 50 might not know about it, too young. Or not a reader, or no memory.

Another forum, somebody posted a picture of a bulbous silver motorcycle and I said Gort would ride it. Couple of other posters said they had to web search Gort to figure out what I was talking about.

My neighbor happened by while I was watching that same movie and had no idea what it was about, never seen it; he was 45 and the move was 50 at the time.

So I never know....LOL

The day the Earth stood still
    R J Talley

Boolit Man
    Yard sale special ....
    came across a PW Metallic 2 , rusted in places and with that I have poured Kroil oil in all the right places .
    We will see if anything loosens up as of right now , it does not want to rotate ....
    what the heck , for 30 bucks .... thought I would roll the dice. ...

Attachment 195389
    Very nice find.

Perma-Banned
    I drive by The Ponsness Warren Co. Fairly often, they make a nice press for sure!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I would dismantle it and take a wire wheel to the rams. Clean the bearings carefully.
    No! Use PB Blaster to unstick everything and Citric Acid or some other chemical to gently remove the rust.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

The day the Earth stood still
    Klatuu Baradus Nicto
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Klatuu Baradus Nicto
    Actual script page:

Attachment 198483
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast