MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yard sale pickup , worth a try ?

yard sale pickup , worth a try ?

Yard sale special ....
    came across a PW Metallic 2 , rusted in places and with that I have poured Kroil oil in all the right places .
    We will see if anything loosens up as of right now , it does not want to rotate ....
    what the heck , for 30 bucks .... thought I would roll the dice. ...

Attachment 195389
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

That is pretty slick

Banned
    That has promise. Keep us posted.

For 30 bucks I would try it too.
    I hope you have good luck getting it unstuck.

Yeah , already have a Hollywood senior and universal ..
    most of the time I use my Lee classic cast .
    Just have this soft spot for some of these toys that are being abused ..even tho I do not "need" them.

I think one of the magic penetrating mixes that will unstick that ole girl is ATF and acetone mixed 50/50. Ain't sure though.

I know what you mean about having a 'spot' for those old presses...I've got a RCBS Green Machine coming next week...can't wait to get my monkey paws on her!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Plastic garbage can, battery charger, washing soda, water, plop it in and let it work. It'll get ALL the rust without any work. Lots cheaper than all the oil based penetration slurry....

Boolit Master

If nothing else works, try PB Blaster.

PW has replacement parts from anything that needs replacing.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Friend of mine used to work on a rail road bridge maintenance crew back in the late 50's, 60's and 70's. The way they would prepare a bridge for dismantling back then was to send the least senior crewman to the bridge with a large quantity of ATF and acetone. His job was to put a 50/50 mix onto every bolt head and nut. Daily he was to apply the mix once in the morning and once in the evening. Sometime during the day he was to take a hammer and smack the nut side. Last thing to do was to test the nut and see if it would come loose. Took anywhere from a week to a month but when every nut would turn a little the whole crew would come and take apart the bridge by hand. Much of the time the bridge was reused.

Back then ATF had whale oil in it and ATF was never changed. Today we have regular ATF and synthetic. Neither have whale oil in them, however, both will work equally well when mixed with acetone. The only drawback is the mix creeps. I have some in a small dropper bottle (used to hold eyedrops) that I keep in a large orange pill bottle because the mix will creep out of the dropper bottle and make a mess on the shelf.

Be sure to shake it before using.
    Last edited by bbogue1; 05-13-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I think one of the magic penetrating mixes that will unstick that ole girl is ATF and acetone mixed 50/50. Ain't sure though.

I know what you mean about having a 'spot' for those old presses...I've got a RCBS Green Machine coming next week...can't wait to get my monkey paws on her!
    Now I'm just envious. I am very interested in the green machine. Would love to have one in 38/357. Lots of pictures when you get it please!!!

I will...it is .38/.357", couldn't ask for a better caliber in my shop. I have been running those on my Lyman T Mag II at a pretty good clip but don't use too many so I think the GM will do fine. It doesn't have the original boolit seater so I'll have to look far and wide for that but until then it'll do fine setting them by hand.
    The way they work just mesmerizes me...and the over engineered parts of yesteryear last forever.

Boolit Master
    Super! Can't wait to see it in action!

Strangely enough , these items were with it as the gentleman thought it all belonged together ...
    a CH jacketed bullet cannelure tool ... never even knew they existed !, until I chased it down on their site .
    the tell was their stamp on it.

Attachment 195441

Also a fishing sinker kit so to speak ... for casting the "tear drop" type sinkers ...
    Ironic ...as I melt all sinkers I come across for my ingot stash .

Attachment 195442
    Last edited by Digger; 05-14-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Digger...the first casting I did was fishing sinkers when I was a pre teen. I clamped two oak boards together and drilled a 1/2" hole in-between the two halves of the make shift mold...when the lead was still moulten my sister would stick a swivel in the top and hold it with needle nose pliers.
    I'll bet I've left a thousand of those in the San Bernard River down in Texas!
    Think how pleased I was when I discovered that K-Mart sold those moulds!

Was able to dismantle all to a point ....
    Worst of the parts is the Primer seater assembly and the guide rod ... if you can see in the original pic , the little rod to the right of the swing pattern .
    Rust is extreme on both , was able to finally extract the primer assembly but will have to replace ...
    The guide rod (don't know for sure if it is that , just a guess at this point ) is still rusted solid in the slider section.
    will let it sit for a while longer soaking ...
    Will have to replace both at least if possible .

Banned
    I would dismantle it and take a wire wheel to the rams. Clean the bearings carefully.

Boolit Master
    I have faith in you brother! I would love to see that in action.

Boolit Master
    As of a couple years ago PW still sold many parts for that press. One had to get a copy of the parts diagram and really understand what was wanted as the guy I would speak to at PW was not really up to speed. It felt as though their inventory control system used new numbers for the items and he had to go from an old parts chart to a new parts chart and try to figure out what was trying to be ordered. $30 is a steal if you can manage to get it up and working. Probably another bunch of money in parts and you are there. I wanted one for years and got one that was missing a bunch of parts and was able to get the parts from PW which was an effort. It is a good functional machine for me.

Ponsness Warren STILL makes that press. If you're wondering if investing a bit of money into it is worth it, that press now-a-days brings well over $500.00 new. PW equipment is definitely top shelf and very durable. I've never had one of the metallic loaders but do have shot shell loaders and to me are the best you can buy. Spolar may be the exception to that, I've not used one of those. Great find for the price. I do wonder at times how a fine piece of equipment like that gets to be in that condition??

Also the "guy" you speak to if you call is probably the owner of PW so he more than likely is "up to speed"...

Boolit Master
    I think you did quite well there!

From my work, usually with rust on the farm, Kroil is my favorite with aerokroil having the edge.

I have seen where heat was employed on rusty exhaust bolts on a Diesel engine that a high sulphur cutting oil beat it and I have mixed atf and acetone and not seen the results that kroil or aerokroil gives me.

I like PB blaster but again, the Kano products still get my nod.

Good luck on the Ponsness Warren save!

Three44s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast