RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: .45 auto rim

.45 auto rim

My mold came in today. It is a Lee 452-252-SWC. I cast a few with # 2 alloy that I had left over from my 45-70 500+ grain casting. I used those in a Winchester high wall browning replica. The bullets were shot at 1250 fps over Swiss 1 1/2 black powder. Lubed with Shavers lube, no leading and was very accurate. I am going to shoot these in a single shot Chicopee rifle that I am building chambered in .45 auto rim. The barrel is 24" long from green mountain with a 1 in 16 twist. I want to use 231 powder because I have some and use the Shavers lube. How will the load work?
    Lmo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Should work fine, but you have to be careful with 231 and the heavier 250+ grain bullet in .45 Auto Rim as pressure will peak higher. Not familiar with the Chicopee rifle and action strength, but in my .45 ACP rifle built on a small prewar H&R .410 shotgun frame I use 4 grains of Bullseye with soft 255-grain .45 Colt cowboy bullets similar to Saeco #955 and it shoots well for 875 fps in a 20" barrel. I think you would be OK with 4.5 grains of 231 as a start load, but would be cautious as you approach 5 grains unless you can find a source of pressure tested data with a heavier bullet. 6 grains of Unique is a full charge load listed by Speer with the 250-grain lead SWC.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The Chicopee is a low pressure design. I intend to use it as a plinker and don't intend to go over 800 or so fps. Thanks for the advise and the load data. I fully intend to be cautious. I am not new to reloading and
    working loads up. All my load development has been for max accuracy. I was a diehard IHMSA competitor and did a fair amount of black powder silhouette.
    Elmo

I also have a good chronograph to keep tabs on what I am doing.
    Elmo

Boolit Master
    231 works fine in my .45 auto rim loads, also like red dot very good accuracy

Thanks Flint!
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!