Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Finn 28/30

Boolit Buddy

Finn 28/30

Anyone here shooting the old Finn 28/30's with cast?

I have on hand the Lee 312-185 grain mold and a NOE copy of the 311291. Has any one had luck with one of these sized to play well with that 308.5 bore?

How fast will i have to push them to get it to hit to the sights at 100 yards?

Thanks for your time.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my M28/30 and M39 I shoot the NOE clone of #314299 with 30 grs. of IMR4064, RL15 or Varget and 1 grain Dacron fill.

You want to size bullets to fit the chamber throat and ball seat, not barrel groove diameter.

A .312" diameter is good for the M28/30 and .314 for the M39.

I use 300 meter sight setting for 100 yards, 400 for 200 yards, 500 for 300 yards, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

With the C312-185-1R try 24 gr AA5744 with no filler. Or 28.5 gr 4895 with a Dacron filler.

With the 311291b try 28.5 - 30 gr 4895 with the Dacron filler.

As to hitting to the sights at 100 yards. That all depends on the sights on the rifle, if and how well they have been brought to zero and with what ammo they have been zeroed. Then, have the sights been messed with since proper zero and when you got it? Only way to know is to shoot it. If the rear sight low setting is 200 or 300 meters and it was properly zeroed to MN standards odds are any accurate cast bullet load will not hit to aim with it at it's lowest setting. If the low rear sight setting is 100 meters and it was properly brought to zero with M1908 "L" ammunition then you may come close with a cast bullet load in the 1850 - 1950 fps range. Again, the only way to know is to shoot it.

If you do get lucky and the cast load hits to POA at 100 yards at the lowest sight setting it will not be regulated to the other longer range sight settings as the velocity of any accurate cast bullet load in a MN is not going to match the trajectory of the service ammunition the sight ranges are regulated for.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have two M-28s one with a customized stock and a Big Scope.
    I am shooting the .316299 NOE and the .312 - 198 gr NOE spire point both with 28.0 gr of Reloader 7.
    Out of the scoped rifle, I am getting 1" three shot groups at 100 yards.
    Most boolits are Powder coated and all are GC'ed
    For these .310 bores I size to .311

Boolit Buddy
    In my M28/30, I use RCBS's 165 gr. 30 cal. Sil. bullet cast from 50% wheel weight and 50% linotype metal, sized .311 and a Hornaday gas check. I load this bullet in a Norma case with a standard Remington primer over 18 gr. of IMR 4759 and a pinch of Dacron. My sights are set at 500 meters. I use this load for our local CMP matches where we use the reduced- course targets set at 100 yards. This load will consistently hold the black for 20 shots on the MR31 target even though my rifle has worn lands and somewhat dark grooves. If you cannot find or do not have any IMR 4759, try Reloader 7 [20 gr. and no Dacron filler with magnum primer] or 16 gr. of Alliant 2400, no filler and a mag.primer. These loads shoot very well in my rifle with the RCBS 165 gr. Sil. bullet though I have to admit that I have not tried to develop a load that would shoot to the 100 meter sight setting on my rifle. I think that Larry Gibson's post is spot-on and I would give it close attention. Hope this will be of some help and Good Luck in your endeavor!
    Streetwalker

Boolit Buddy
    Streetwalker thanks for your report on 28/30's with worn bores. One of the 28's i am looking at is pretty worn. I have been reading Mr. Gibson's posts here for a while, when he talks i listen.

I have a line on two 28/30's and one or both of them will soon be living in my gun safe. Looking forward to testing and working with some of the information you guys have given me here.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lyman 311291 in an M39 which gave very good results at 100 yards. Can't recall if I used IMR4198 or SR 4759 but it was about 20 grains and may be a good place to start. IIRC it was 400 M sight setting on mine

I've a 28-30 but could never get the bore clean enough to try cast in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    ....I've a 28-30 but could never get the bore clean enough to try cast in it.
    My 28/30 Civil Guard's Rifle is a Sako which I got cheap because it had one of those "dark but strong" bores. I first cleaned the bore with JB and Kroil, then followed with Sweet's, on successive days alternated the JB and Kroil, followed by the Sweet's until no more green came out.

Once all the fouling was out, I conditioned the bore for cast using SOFT, plainbased cast bullets which fit, well lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox, 6 grains of Bullseye, cleaning after every five shots, one tight wet patch, two dry patches every group for the first 100 rds. After that you don't get any more lead out on a tight patch which goes through the bore smoothly and the pits will be filled and the bore shiny.

That is my most accurate cast bullet rifle and has never seen another jacketed bullet. With NOE #314299 cast 13 BHN and sized .312" with Hornady GC, 50-50 Alox-beeswax and 30 grs. of 4064, RL15 or Varget I get no leading and ten-shot, 3" groups at 200 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My 28/30 Civil Guard's Rifle is a Sako which I got cheap because it had one of those "dark but strong" bores. I first cleaned the bore with JB and Kroil, then followed with Sweet's, on successive days alternated the JB and Kroil, followed by the Sweet's until no more green came out.

Once all the fouling was out, I conditioned the bore for cast using SOFT, plainbased cast bullets which fit, well lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox, 6 grains of Bullseye, cleaning after every five shots, one tight wet patch, two dry patches every group for the first 100 rds. After that you don't get any more lead out on a tight patch which goes through the bore smoothly and the pits will be filled and the bore shiny.

That is my most accurate cast bullet rifle and has never seen another jacketed bullet. With NOE #314299 cast 13 BHN and sized .312" with Hornady GC, 50-50 Alox-beeswax and 30 grs. of 4064, RL15 or Varget I get no leading and ten-shot, 3" groups at 200 yards.
    I may try again, back when I received it I used Hoppe's for a month, really, every or every other day. Muzzle down on newspaper and kept at it until I gave up on a clean bore and just started using jacketed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    I may try again, back when I received it I used Hoppe's for a month, really, every or every other day. Muzzle down on newspaper and kept at it until I gave up on a clean bore and just started using jacketed in it.
    Modern Hoppes is not as effective as old Hoppes. I have found the JB and Kroil routine, alternated with either Sweet's 7.62 or Shooter's Choice Copper Remover for 5-7 days, followed by Frank Marshall's Old Milsurp Break-In is the most effective and safest way.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have cleaned up several really cruddy milsurp bores using "Wipe-Out" foaming bore cleaner--takes several applications but it will eventually get you down to bare barrel steel, with no scrubbing!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...t-5-oz-aerosol

You'll want one of these too:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/237...plicator-spout

Worth every penny!!