RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many presses! Some thoughts needed

Too many presses! Some thoughts needed

Sorry for the long winded post.
    Recently picked up a screaming deal on a XL650. Which brings my press total to 3.

Rock Chucker (IV?) an SDB with more die sets than I care to think about, and the new 650.

I have 5 feet of space to work with on my reloading bench. I considered the inline fabrication plates but there's really not a whole lot of storage space left to store a spare press either.

So brings me to the question. Generally against my personal grain to sell off things gun related. but It's getting a little cluttered on the bench. Can't shake the feeling something's gotta go.

My press usage:
    I don't really load a whole lot of rifle. just not really a rifle shooter. Only have a 223 and a 308 at this time. Although something in the 6mm class looks really interesting for a lighter recoil paper puncher for longer distances. but I do load lots and lots of pistol. I shoot probably 2-3k per year of 45, and about half that of 9 and 38. with a bit of 357 during the summer months.

My method of thinking is I can use the dies between the 650 and the RCBS so that cuts down on duplicates a little. But the darn SDB has been such a reliable solid workhorse that I'm loathe to just ditch it. One should always have a single stage - right? Then again, having multiple progressive loaders set up is nice too. especially one with small primer and the other with large...Gah.

Would like to hear some other decisions/logic.
    Anyone out there trade in their SDB for a 650? would you do it again?

keep them all an get a bigger bench.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I find all three presses you mentioned invaluable. I wouldn't part with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    keep them all an get a bigger bench.

Bigger bench is on the wish list. It'll come when I get the bigger house. like so many others - the space is what it is It's the one constant I can't currently change.

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Bigger bench is on the wish list. It'll come when I get the bigger house. like so many others - the space is what it is It's the one constant I can't currently change.
    well i hang my extra presses on the wall when not in use. there are a few really good systems to switch out presses.

patmarilns. makes a good ☝

I have a small area and too many presses as well. I mounted my LnL Ap permanently and use the ROC DOC from Patmarlin for 550, CoAx, RC , Lee CC turret, Lyman 450 and a trimmer. They all have a use and can't seem to part with any of them. I claimed a book shelf and made some mounts to hold the presses not on the bench.

Also, I once sold a Lee turret and made it about a year before I had to buy another. If you use and enjoy all of your gear I would keep it.

Boolit Buddy
    If you were happy before the 650 came around, sell the 650 and be done.

However, if a bigger house is in your future, then store the 650 until then.

Banned

Inline Ultra Mount with the Quick Change plates
    Problem solved

Moderator Emeritus

Like the OP, I have more presses than bench.
    All have been mounted and used at one time or another.
    Besides what I'm using now, I have sold a few and kept a few.
    The one's I've sold would be easy to replace...or in the case of one that sold super cheap, cuz I just didn't like it.
    The few that I am not using and have not sold, would be too difficult to replace, so I just put away into storage.
    Good Luck.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I did sell a RF Wells single stage press, that I now regret selling. If I ever stumble onto another one, I'll likely buy it...but I don't have a need for it?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-12-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: RF Wells
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You need more bench, not less presses.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    i have a 7' bench and have 5 presses on it....2 xl650's 2 rock chuckers and a lyman t-mag.

Boolit Grand Master

The illogical thing is only having 3 reloading presses and wanting to sell one!
    I have 5 and use every one. Get more reloading bench....that's the only correct answer to this
    dilemma !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have limited space in my loading room, so I made a quick change system for my 4 presses. When not in use, I use a filler plate on the bench for an even surface. Here's a video of my quick change system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presses.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	195360
    Last edited by Johnny_V; 05-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Think I would sell the SDB. If you have regular dies for all the calibers you load for the 650 will handle all the pistol loading you would ever need. And, dies are cheap anyway. That's the reason that press comes with "replaceable" die plates. Guys that buy another press just because they're to lazy to change over to a different caliber or primer size, or have several powder measures because they don't want to have to dial in a different powder charge is ridiculous. That said, I do own 4 progressive metallic presses, 3 progressive and one SS shotshell presses, and two SS presses, so I fit right in with that group. Even though I have plenty of room for all these presses, I am honestly trying to "downsize" to just one metallic progressive press (RCBS Pro 2000) and one shot shell press that does both 12 and 20 gauge (Ponsness Warren 375C) . I'm keeping both SS presses though.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is this "too many presses" concept of which you speak? I have four or five set up on semi-permanent basis, another couple/three that can be swung into place and clamped down pretty quickly and a few more as backup or for special duty. You don't have too many presses, you have too little room allocated. I just "need" a couple more, or maybe six or maybe...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I got rid of my SDB and constantly regret it even though I still have a 550, 650, RC II, Summit and a Jr. 2. The SDB was always ready to load .45ACP. I would store one or develop a rack for easy swapping.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Wow Johnny V, that is a seriously impressive setup. Kudos to you.

Boolit Master
    Isn't that like having too much fun???
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Perma-Banned
    My solution is a 7 position Redding turret. Spare turrets are easily swapped out (don't lose the ball bearing !) My only progressive is an RCBS Grand 12 gauge. (do have 12 powder measures though)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast