Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: The deal that turned up not a good deal

Boolit Master

The deal that turned up not a good deal

We all remember the $69 Mosin Nagants. What made it special was the 440 rounds of surplus ammo for 5cents a round.
    Well Obama stopped all that with his political move against Russia. But what about the Czech & Bulgarian surplus? Some
    one explain. Did he put a band on all surplus ammo?

Fly

Boolit Master

Those days are long gone Attachment 195333 $349.99
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Did he put a band on all surplus ammo?

Fly

I think that fell in to the order banning the importation of old military weapons.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

350 for a Mosin?!?!?! Aint no way!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    What some might not know regarding cheap Mosin bullets, aside from the Russian sanctions:

Around 1990, LPS went to a hardened steel core so bam, AP... Can no longer be imported.

Secondly, lots of people are still shooting each other with PKMs & PKPs so demand is high.

So now just like 303, 8mm, 6.5 etc, the glory days are gone for x54R.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

I made my nephew mad when I called his a Moisten-Nugget. I've tried to like them but, no.
    And yes I had a 27 Finn/Sako. It shot great but so did my Mauser & Krag & Arisaka.
    Hopefully when president Trump has a minute he can give an EO out to the voters and bring us some guns and ammo!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I made my nephew mad when I called his a Moisten-Nugget. I've tried to like them but, no.
    And yes I had a 27 Finn/Sako. It shot great but so did my Mauser & Krag & Arisaka.
    Hopefully when president Trump has a minute he can give an EO out to the voters and bring us some guns and ammo!
    Texas by God,

That is an excellent comment. Have you conveyed it to President Trump?

Adam

Boolit Master
    Once that cheap Russian stuff dried up, all the 54r shooters simply shifted to the next in line. Being surplus it does have a finite supply. Alot of it may being gobbled up for use in the middle east.

I saw an article the other day where the US military wants someone here to start producing the PKM machine gun. They are supplied to various allies and we pretty much have to buy them on the open market. Big problem with the contract was the US military was leaving you high and dry, you had to procure a PKM to reverse engineer and come up with drawings to produce all the parts. And the contract was when ever they felt like buying, with no civilian market. But with ammo supplies the way it is, very likely they would be looking for somebody in the US to start making 54r ammo.

Boolit Master

I'm still pretty happy with my Mosin-Nagant. It's a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30, with all the goodies ATI got with them, and I paid $120 at a local gun store (that was about ten years ago). It shoots well (after a tiny bit of tweaking), is reliable (after a tiny bit of tweaking, and when clean), and I've got several hundred rounds of 1984 surplus ammunition left. I can get new Brown Bear or Silver Bear without much difficulty when I want to hunt with it (it's accurate with their 203 grain soft point, too). And I've got a hundred Prvi Partizan brass/boxer cases, unfired, and a set of dies. I should be able to shoot this for the rest of my life...

Boolit Grand Master
    Once that cheap Russian stuff dried up, all the 54r shooters simply shifted to the next in line. Being surplus it does have a finite supply. Alot of it may being gobbled up for use in the middle east.

A lot of it WAS used in the middle east and Balkan former Russian states.

Shiloh

Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

I would never pay the current prices for one. I overpaid for the last one at $140. But it's a bright bore shooter. They are a highly unrefined rifle w/ little appeal to me. That being said I bought a bunch of boxer primed Prvi Partizan rounds when they were only a few cents more then the brass. If they ever hit $500 I will unload all of mine along w/ the oversize molds I needed to make them shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have the two I bought from SOG for $79.00 a piece. One has an absolutely perfect bore and the other has a so-so bore, but has a laminated stock. I just wish I would have had the good sense to have bought 50 or so of the K31's!..............

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
    I still have the two I bought from SOG for $79.00 a piece. One has an absolutely perfect bore and the other has a so-so bore, but has a laminated stock. I just wish I would have had the good sense to have bought 50 or so of the K31's!..............
    I remember those. Three surplus rifles for me and my son came from SOG. $120 for a M-48 with a mint barrel shipping inclusive from a FFL holder.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin