Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: scope

Boolit Buddy

scope

I bought a used leupold scope and put it on a ruger m77 scope run out of adjustment at 25 yard it still shoots 2'' left what the problem?

Boolit Master
    It could be a number of things, and the least likely is the scope itself. Leupolds hold up rather well. Why are you shooting it at 25yds? Have you tried bore sighting it at 50 or 100yds? You don't need a bore sighter to do this, just put it on bags and look through the barrel and check it against the crosshairs. I'd be looking at the rings and base to begin with. The other thing I'd do is take the scope and count total clicks up and down and right and left and divide by two. Put the adjustments in the center to start off with. You haven't provided anywhere near enough info to even make a good guess at this point. What kind of base, type of rings, etc.

Boolit Master

If you are still off by 2" at 25 yards, you'll be 8" off at 100 and 16" off at 200 yards.

I bought a Ruger 77 in 76 or so and I had the same issue with it. A quality Redfield scope did not have enough adjustment to zero the rifle windage wise. I bought the heavy barrel Ruger 77 in 308 to shoot the popular silhouette matches. Obviously the rifle was unsat, so it went away.

NSB has some good suggestions above, but I never found a solution to the problem. I might add that when I worked part time at gun store, we had a few Leuopolds (circa mid 70s) brought back for not having enough deflection to zero rifles.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I assume you are not using bases and/or rings with windage adjustment. If you do, make sure you are not putting torque on the scope. Use a dowel rod to twist and align the rings, not the scope.

Take a one inch, arrow straight, three foot long dowel, and lay it in the rings. You should be able to eyeball if the rings are not running parallel with bore. If the rings are not aligned properly, try reversing them, to try to determine if the issue is with the rings. If you are using Weaver style bases, which are concave on top, lay your trusty dowel, or other long straight tube in the channel and eyeball it. If it is angle off center, chances are the mounting holes were misdrilled.

If the rings and bases seem to be parallel with bore, the scope is suspect. Try another scope, shooting it or boresighting, and see if you have enough adjustment with that scope. If that is the case, you could go with a set of rings/bases that have windage adjustment, to compensate. Or you can call Leopold. My experience is that they will repair a scope, regardless of vintage or whether or not you are original purchaser.

Good Luck,

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem with one of mine. I used a set of burris rings that come with inserts. They make offset inserts so I used the front one one direction and the rear the other direction. It centered very well. Those rings are made in different offsets, too.

Someone had drilled and tapped the rear mounting hole nearly a sixteen off center.

Boolit Master
    +1 on trying the Burris rings with inserts. If you're "way off" they can get you back to near center where your scope should have enough adjustment to take care of it. Remember this also....if it's the scope, Leupold has a lifetime warranty to anyone who owns the scope even if they aren't the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by milltownhunter View Post
    I bought a used leupold scope and put it on a ruger m77 scope run out of adjustment at 25 yard it still shoots 2'' left what the problem?
    Some scope's windage & elevation adjustment range widths are different from each other.

When I had a scope that ran out of an adjustment like yours, all that was needed to zero the rifle was to rotate the scope counter-clockwise in the rings (as seen from the rear) so that the windage turret became the new elevation turret & the elevation became the new windage turret.

Last edited by pietro; 05-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Perma-Banned
    Need more info to avoid guessing:

1. complete description of scope: ex. "M8 6x36 plex with friction adjustments."
    2. what rings are you using ? ex. "Ruger medium 1".
    3. have you tried another scope that you know works ? ex. "yes, Weaver K6 60b crosshair"

There is probably a reason a used Leupold was sold.

Boolit Master

The problem is the gun screw holes were bored off center, or the barrel put on crooked.

The solutions include Redfield JR style mounts and rings, also made by Leupold. The front ring turns in and the rear ring is windage adjustable.

Or you can buy the Burris Signature rings plus offset inserts. Your system is so far off I would go with the turn-in instead.

Mechanically center the scope by counting clicks. Do initial bore sighting by adjusting rear windage ring.

For each rear ring adjustment, remove the scope and use a tool to adjust the front ring. In other words, do not use the scope to torque the rings, or vice versa.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Perma-Banned
    IT'S A RUGER 77 !

Except for very early model they use RUGER rings that go on the RUGER dovetails machined into the action. There is no windage adjustment, no Burris Signature rings for them, no Leupold/Redfield/Burris turn in bases for them.

That's why I asked the questions I did before making suggestions that are wrong.

OP, please answer my questions, this can be solved.

It's probably the scope and Leupold will fix it free forever.

Boolit Master
    If you're using the Ruger rings that clamp to that rib on top of the receiver, look at the clamping screws carefully. It's possible to firmly attach the scope rings without having both sides of the clamp properly inserted in the recesses. I won't admit to the reason I know that's possible.

Boolit Buddy
    It does not matter that it is a Ruger. You can still put on rings that have windage adjustment in the rings. They work just like the Leopold style rings which are made for the Leopold bases, but fit the integral Ruger mounts.

Moderator Emeritus

Swap scopes. If it continues it is the rifle if it ends it was the scope. Even if you get a $25 Tasco from the pawn shop it is an easy test.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Pietro-been there. "Up-right, Left- down" haha.
    No kidding check the rings then try a different scope.
    After you've centered the windage adjustment and re-bore sighted after the mount/rings check.
    Best, Thomas.