Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lighter loads in a 50 cal with 2F

Lighter loads in a 50 cal with 2F

I normally use 3F in my 50 cal when just killing paper it's a real mild but accurate load of just 40 gr I don't hit another accuracy node till I get to 65 gr I don't load it any higher than that as it's a 7/8 barrel , never tried 2F in it yet, soon though my dad gifted me a half can was just wandering if any one has had any luck down loading it some say 50 gr or so instead of 75-85 gr like one would with a full power load . Yeah I'm cheap as they come but I'm only putting a hole in paper at 50 yds so why use more than is needed .

thanks , Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I normally use 3F in my 50 cal when just killing paper it's a real mild but accurate load of just 40 gr I don't hit another accuracy node till I get to 65 gr I don't load it any higher than that as it's a 7/8 barrel , never tried 2F in it yet, soon though my dad gifted me a half can was just wandering if any one has had any luck down loading it some say 50 gr or so instead of 75-85 gr like one would with a full power load . Yeah I'm cheap as they come but I'm only putting a hole in paper at 50 yds so why use more than is needed .

thanks , Tim

My dad uses Goex 2F powder in his 54 Cal, he uses 100 Grains with a Maxi ball, accuracy is really good. He and i shot together this winter in snow, on our way to the target we noticed a considerable amount of unburned powder sprinkled in the snow, a trail about 20-30 yards long, it was quite obvious that he is not burning the whole 100 Grains of powder, reasonable amount of wasted powder. Most of my My loads are 70-85. Grains of Swiss 3F, and up to. 100. Grains of Swiss 2F, we could not find one spec of unburned powder from my shooting, even in my 10" barreled TC Scout Pistol with 80 Grains of Swiss 2F powder over the snow we could not find any unburned powder. I feel that 80 Grains of Goex 2F is about all that will actually burn? I haven't tested it to prove this, but from my dads 100 Grain load i would bet 80 is about all that is actually being used, the rest blowed out the barrel unburned.

I would think 40-50 Grains of 2F would work fine for plinking targets, at least you should be burning the powder up

Perma-Banned
    60 grains of 2f behind a Lee R.E.A.L. or T/C Maxi-Ball does all I need a 50cal to do whether at the range or in the field. but admittedly, I'm not a member of the 'Mile-R-More' club.

Boolit Master
    If you are getting the accuracy you want then stay with it. I am experimenting with lower charges as well. I like having a gun that can 'plink' like a .22

What twist is your barrel. Some of the slow twist barrels like heavier charges. A long time ago I had a .45 Ky rifle (1/60 twist I think) that really did not do well until it got to heavier charges. IIRC 70 or 80gn was what it liked.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got a summer job teaching kids to shoot muzzleloaders. They don't need giant killer loads as they are just being introduced to the sport, and we only shoot 25 yards. I only use FFG Triple Seven with a 50 gr powder measure and it works great. Plenty of snap with a PRB. Actually more than we really need, but it's a good balance between economy and the full experience. Accuracy is fine.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a couple friends using around 40 gr. 3f in .54's for plinking.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perm-Banned
    i have a friend who won every contest he was in with a 50 cal round ball gun with 30 grains of 2f black.

Sounds encouraging thanks fella's btw it's a 42" barrel believe the twist is either 1:56 or 1:60 whatever the Jap made Dixie barrels were . If no rain on the weekend I'll try out some loads starting at 30 gr of 2F and go from there .

thanks , Tim

Good luck with your experimenting with 2f. I thought I read here that in general, one uses less 3f to get the same velocity as with 2f. Or in other words, use a little more 2f to get the same results you're getting with 2f. If this is wrong, someone please correct me.

Banned

what load to use for any trad muzzleloader will always and forever be up to the gun, the powder type and charge, the patch and lube, the ball, how it's all stuffed down the tube ... and the shooter.

wanna know what'll work really Great for your gun's light load (or hunting load, or target load)? uh huh, yup, you got it. see ya at the range, bud.

Boolit Bub
    I usually use 3f in my 50 as well. Just plinking I will load 25 or 30 grains depending on what spout is on my flask I use for my revolvers. Haven't shot it over 50 yards but it is a good time at 25 yards and plenty accurate. I've often wondered what that load would do to a squirrel. I would imagine you could get a similar performing load with 2f. As others have said, it just takes a little experimenting.

Banned

need to be a bit cautious with light charges in patent breech guns - need to make sure to at least fill the ante-chamber.

Boolit Master
    That is a very good point, and one I had not thought of.

Boolit Master
    1995 Thompson Center's Owners manual for >their 50 cal< Rifles. Says with a patched .490 ball__ 50 to 110 gr's of 2-FFG Gorex or Pyrodex RS__ is appropriate.

Anything less in volume powder measure or as I call em Soft Ball Loadings isn't available in my Thompson Owners Manual print___or maybe not suggested.

Then again only those two powders prior commented are the only two powders suitable for any T/C long barrel firearm up to the year 1995.

So if still trolling for a Bottom End Loading and you know the barrels manufacture or dealer.
    Call its manufacture and get spot on advice.

If your a frugal shooter and want to shoot outside the norm in published print. __"Best contact the manufacture. Not rely on second party info."

Boolit Master
    Heck if I did that I would not be able to shoot a PRB out of my Great Plains Hunter barrel since Lyman specifically does not list round ball loads for it

As was mentioned, the patent breach is a concern.

I've actually done 25grn 2f in my T/C, and in my wife's. I do not know that this filled up the breach though.

2F is slower than 3F is slower than 4F. Use bulky powders for slower loads.

Edit: The old rule to find the starting and max loads for a round ball rifle is the caliber and weight. Starting load is the caliber, and max is the weight of the ball.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    QUOTE: WHAT??? Edit: The old rule to find the starting and max loads for a round ball rifle is the caliber and weight. Starting load is the caliber, and max is the weight of the ball.

by this standard, 54 cal. round ball of 230 gr. would warrant a 230 gr. powder charge?

No concerns with a patent breach luckily it's a regular flat faced plug . Was a decent day but a bit breezy still got out and made some smoke . Started at 30 gr 2F and worked up to 70gr 3 shots each at 50 yd off a front rest . Didn't start getting what I consider a good group till 50gr , 55 gr shot the best next was 65 gr will have to reshoot those again with 5 shot groups to confirm .

Boolit Buddy
    I've had great success with 30grs 2f under a patched ball in my Lyman .50 and it's still doing over 1100fps so it is more than enough to poke holes in paper at 50yds.

Boolit Master
    Well I shoot nothing but 3fffg any more. When I shot a lot of comps, I had a CVA 50 Mountain rifle with Douglass barrel.
    1 in 66 rb load was 50 grains. That was a great load then & still is today. I still have that rifle & glad I have kept it all these years.

Fly