WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x25 Ruger cylinder for .30 Carbine Blackhawk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away

7.62x25 Ruger cylinder for .30 Carbine Blackhawk

I've been brainstorming having a Bowen cylinder blank chambered to 7.62x25 and fitted to my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Anybody done this? Was case setback freezing the cylinder a problem? I'll be using handloads in Starline brass, no milsurp ammo. PTG offers a CIP reamer. I figure that TOK has less body taper than .22 Jet or Harvey K-Chuk and only minimal bottleneck, and figure if chambers are kept clean and dry it should work. Plan is to use mostly cast bullets, but may try some .309 Hornady XTPs for varmints.

Anybody ACTUALLY DONE THIS? What was your experience?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sounds very interesting. I have a CZ-52 that shoots the 7.62x25, fun little round. Low on recoil and muzzle blast with higher than normal speed. Seems like a fun project.

Banner Sponsor

Sounds like an excellent project.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...l-in-the-white

Midway has Ruger cylinder blanks for $155.99 with a .304" bore to start from.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Sounds to me like this project would be a perfect application for the 30 Badger,,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Yes. .30 Badger all the way. The rim of the .38 special case is revolver friendly and well...38 special cases are everywhere.
    Youll use your 7,62x25 sizing and seating die so other than a reamer, there's nothing to it. No trimming either from standard 38 special brass.

Manson Reamers should have the Badger print on file.

Data starts with 32/20 and you can go much further from there. That Blackhawk is strong, so you will have no trouble unless you just act a fool.

Its just a wee bit of leg work but the ease of using 38 special cases with the die you'll be using anyway it's well worth it.

I have a Badger on an SB-2 Handi rifle and I LOVE it. Case life is excellent and the longer neck is much more cast friendly.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I can see where it would be a whole lot easier using .38 special cases and necking them down than it is taking .223 cases, cutting them, trimming them, probably should thin the necks, then size and load.

I finally got tired of fussing with the bugger and bought 5 boxes of loaded hollowpoint's for it. But it was fun stuff for a while.

Building one from scratch like that seems the .38 would be the easy way.

I already have Cz52 and TT33 pistols factory PPU ammo and 1000 Starline cases, so have no plans to reform 5.56 brass or use corrosive milsurp ammo, way too much mental masturbation. I like the idea of a .30 Carbine and 7.62x25 convertible Ruger.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Kind of a Korean War combo. I would try some surplus Tok ammo in it just for giggles but it seems to be dried up. The spam cans are no longer seen. You are the pioneer, Outpost. Keep us updated. Best, Thomas.

7.62x25 Ruger cylinder for .30 Carbine Blackhawk

A most interesting project! We still have lots of milsurp 762X25 around here. I've been thinking about a similar project but haven't been able to see a path forward. This sounds reasonably easy. Midway doesn't send goods to Canada though.

Please do keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Kind of a Korean War combo. I would try some surplus Tok ammo in it just for giggles but it seems to be dried up. The spam cans are no longer seen. You are the pioneer, Outpost. Keep us updated. Best, Thomas.
    Plan is to have a bolt rifle for 7.62x25 also, maybe thread it for a can and seat heavy bullets long and load subsonic:

Attachment 195338

A .222-size boltface works without alteration, PTG offers the CIP-spec reamer and headspace gages, .30 cal. barrel will work.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

The MAP for the 7.62x25 is not 25K, it is 35K!
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Vendor Sponsor

30 Carbine SAAMI max pressure is 40k so he is good to go.. Provided the reamer doesn't thin out cylinder walls or webs below the typical thickness of a 44 magnum cylinder it should still be plenty safe.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Oh yes, absolutely. It is certainly a great project to undertake.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Excellent online references on the 7.63 Mauser pistol and 7.62x25 ammunition are:

http://askmisterscience.com/1896maus...up/ammo.htm#sb

http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/bolo.htm
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

I want to build and AR15 carbine in this caliber. Be a sweet little trapping rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I want to build and AR15 carbine in this caliber. Be a sweet little trapping rifle.

Those were all the rage back when surplus ammo was coming in by the metric krap ton and was dirt cheap. All that has long since dried up. A .300 Blackout is basically the same, cheaper to build and has MUCH more support. You really gain nothing but added expense and headache ...unless of course you just WANT one and then...by all means, build it. Wants need no rational justification.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @reed1911,

You are right, I misread the pressure data. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Marshall
    CIP lists machine loading limit / sample average as 2500 bar (36,259 psi), statistical high individual pressure Pmax (xbar+3Sigma) as 2800 bar (40,610 psi) and weapon proof pressure as 3250 bar (47,137 psi)
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Sounds interesting. What does the 7.62x25 bring to the table? Always thought the 30 carbine Rugers were pretty neat, loud but neat.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    Sounds interesting. What does the 7.62x25 bring to the table? Always thought the 30 carbine Rugers were pretty neat, loud but neat.
    Valid question. When the .30 Carbine Rugers were first introduced in 1968 surplus ammo and the US carbines were plentiful and cheap. GI carbine ammo has all but dried up and is no longer inexpensive. While there are no longer great quantities of cheap 7.62x25 milsurp ammo around, those of us who bought TT33 and Cz52 pistols like the performance of the cartridge. The idea of a highly accurate, sturdy revolver which doesn't put your reloadable brass into low earth orbit over Ohio is attractive.

I already had the .30 Carbine Ruger and thought a convertible cylinder in 7.62x25 would be interesting to experiment with...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I saw a Ruger 30 carbine that had a deep imprint around the firing pin that was the same size as the OD of the cartridge. Think the frame was not hard enough to take the pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast