WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which bullet puller?

Boolit Master

Tackleberry,

I'm a fan and user of the RCBS so take that into consideration against my comments. I consider the increased number of collets available from RCBS to be a positive thing as it makes getting a good match between the bullet and collet. From a design point there are two weaknesses in the Hornady, a company I usually hold in high regard. The cam handle has had a history of breakage which I suspect could be helped by polishing any manufacturing marks on the cam surfaces and applying a little grease, much as with the Lee hand priming tool. The other is with the design of the collets which have a much more complex shape than the RCBS. The more complex shape results in springiness in larger calibers and even breaking in the .45 caliber collets.

RCBS collets have straight, constant thickness walls and operate like an R-8 or MT5 collet which are solid steel with parallel inside and outside walls. I can't imaging one of them flexing outside of their normal operating design or breaking. The Hornady is easily more convenient to use with the camming lever as opposed to the RCBS screw type tightening handle. I've been using a hammer type puller since the '80s and the RCBS for over 10 years. I far prefer the RCBS over the inertia hammer (also RCBS) but it is not useful for most handgun bullets, jacketed or cast because it needs a straight sidewall to grasp.

IMO the design and durablilty of the RCBS will serve longer and more reliably than the Hornady or I would have purchased the Hornady because the cam lock is appealing.

Just this week I had to pull the bullets out of over 30 .22-250 rounds because the Sharpie markings on the cases did not match any of my reloading notes and used the RCBS puller. It was effortless. There was no doubt which powder was in the cartridges; just the amount. It turned out all of the cartridges had the same powder charge. I had previously run a ladder test with the same brass and later neck sized rather than full length sized the brass so it also did not go through the polisher to remove the old markings. Between the collet puller and an RCBS Chargemaster it was a pretty fast and easy job to verify the loads.

I've rambled enough so will bail for now.
    David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Read The packaging of collet type pullers carefully, some state that they are not to be used with lead bullets.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Tackleberry,

I'm a fan and user of the RCBS so take that into consideration against my comments. I consider the increased number of collets available from RCBS to be a positive thing as it makes getting a good match between the bullet and collet. From a design point there are two weaknesses in the Hornady, a company I usually hold in high regard. The cam handle has had a history of breakage which I suspect could be helped by polishing any manufacturing marks on the cam surfaces and applying a little grease, much as with the Lee hand priming tool. The other is with the design of the collets which have a much more complex shape than the RCBS. The more complex shape results in springiness in larger calibers and even breaking in the .45 caliber collets.

RCBS collets have straight, constant thickness walls and operate like an R-8 or MT5 collet which are solid steel with parallel inside and outside walls. I can't imaging one of them flexing outside of their normal operating design or breaking. The Hornady is easily more convenient to use with the camming lever as opposed to the RCBS screw type tightening handle. I've been using a hammer type puller since the '80s and the RCBS for over 10 years. I far prefer the RCBS over the inertia hammer (also RCBS) but it is not useful for most handgun bullets, jacketed or cast because it needs a straight sidewall to grasp.

IMO the design and durablilty of the RCBS will serve longer and more reliably than the Hornady or I would have purchased the Hornady because the cam lock is appealing.

Just this week I had to pull the bullets out of over 30 .22-250 rounds because the Sharpie markings on the cases did not match any of my reloading notes and used the RCBS puller. It was effortless. There was no doubt which powder was in the cartridges; just the amount. It turned out all of the cartridges had the same powder charge. I had previously run a ladder test with the same brass and later neck sized rather than full length sized the brass so it also did not go through the polisher to remove the old markings. Between the collet puller and an RCBS Chargemaster it was a pretty fast and easy job to verify the loads.

David
    I think hornady heard you, I just bought mine days ago, and the handle polish and finish is good, and smooth camming action.

Boolit Master

Tackleberry,

David
    I think hornady heard you, I just bought mine days ago, and the handle polish and finish is good, and smooth camming action.

Boolit Buddy
    I was given around 2000 rounds of overloaded 10mm. In pulling those rounds I went though 3 RCBS kinetic pullers. RCBS was very good about replacing them, but it was an *** pain, sending them back. I have come across a franklin and rcbs kinetic puller with aluminum shafts which have held up well since. I am not going through hundreds of rounds though. If you are just popping out 10-20 mistakes they all work quite well. I also used a collet puller and it was very effective, but the truncated cone bullets left very little cylindrical surface to get a purchase on and one size does not fit all .

Bob

Boolit Master
    I noticed they sell a replacement cam for the hornady on midway, so they must know its an issue. I didn't see any of the pullers that say for use with lead. Which could be an issue as thats mostly what I have needed to pull. Just not loading alot of jacketed. Its just a PIA to do 100 rounds with a hammer.

I noticed the cheaper frankford arsenal hammer came with 3 collets. I have had issues with the 2 collet set up with a few calibers.

Boolit Master

Don't worry about the collets; just use a standard shell holder.

I understand the pain; I had to whack-a-mole 300 .40 S&W loads a few years ago. I have almost 100 .357s right now that a now deceased friend loaded that I need to disassemble. Not looking forward to it but since the boolits will probably be damaged I may use the press and dykes method and just recycle the boolits.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I noticed they sell a replacement cam for the hornady on midway, so they must know its an issue. I didn't see any of the pullers that say for use with lead. Which could be an issue as thats mostly what I have needed to pull. Just not loading alot of jacketed. Its just a PIA to do 100 rounds with a hammer.

I noticed the cheaper frankford arsenal hammer came with 3 collets. I have had issues with the 2 collet set up with a few calibers.
    I agree, may not be ideal on cast. I got my camlock puller for jacketed milsurp pull down.

I think for cast.... Its the hammer, if you are saving the projectile for reuse without re casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a FA kinetic puller for years, and I admit, My popeye forearms haven't killed it yet on my concrete floor. Being a mechanic, swinging a hammer is a daily thing.

I recently saw the RCBS collet puller on sale at Midway for $8.99, there was only 1 and it was a blemished product. I took a chance and at the same time I ordered all of the collets I would need.

The RCBS is the way to go! I use mine in my old Pacific "C" since its a "handle down-ram down" configured press. It seems to work well for pulling bullets.

Its a chore that rarely needs done but its nice to have the right tool to do it when needed

Boolit Master

Though I don't have one I've heard good things about the grip n pull. Seems very simple, cost effective, and versatile

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS Collet Puller.
    Easier to salvage both bullet and powder.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Quinetics twist chucks. They sure improve and speed up any whack a mole.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Dang! Went to pull that old ammo down that I mentioned in a previous post and the handle of my 1991 model RCBS inertia puller snapped off at the bottom of the I beam part. PITA to have to ship it back but they'll replace it at no additional charge. I finished the job by taping a length of PVC pipe to the shank with Gorilla duct tape! Yes, Gorilla really is that much stronger than other brands. Almost all 45 of the nickel .357 cases split in multiple places around the necks when the boolits came out. They had probably been loaded for 35 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS Bullet Puller Broken.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	195463
    Last edited by David2011; 05-13-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added photo

Boolit Master
    I've been using my Hornady bullet puller for a couple of years and have pulled well over a thousand bullets, don't ask why, with pretty good results. If I had one complaint it would be that I can't get it to grip good enough on HiTec coated bullets to pull them. They are just so slippery it simply can't get a good enough grip. But with Copper coated or jacketed it's great. Fortunately for me so far my inertia puller is fine with as few of the HiTec coated bullets that I've needed to pull.

Boolit Master
    Dang! Went to pull that old ammo down that I mentioned in a previous post and the handle of my 1991 model RCBS inertia puller snapped off at the bottom of the I beam part. PITA to have to ship it back but they'll replace it at no additional charge. I finished the job by taping a length of PVC pipe to the shank with Gorilla duct tape! Yes, Gorilla really is that much stronger than other brands. Almost all 45 of the nickel .357 cases split in multiple places around the necks when the boolits came out. They had probably been loaded for 35 years.
    A little thread drift, but about those split cases. Were they by chance Winchester? I've had that happen a few times and it was always Winchester brass. I've had Winchester factory loaded ammo that was never fired develop splits.

Boolit Master

High Standard 40,

I have trouble posting without drifting or causing drift. Yeppers, all of the brass was headstamped Winchester or Super-X.

Boolit Master
    High Standard 40,

I have trouble posting without drifting or causing drift. Yeppers, all of the brass was headstamped Winchester or Super-X.
    Perhaps a little premature to state so, but I believe I am seeing a trend here. I've even seen Winchester ammo for sale on a gun shop shelf with split brass. I've had Winchester brass split in the shoulder area on the first firing. You could say that I'm not a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    Though I don't have one I've heard good things about the grip n pull. Seems very simple, cost effective, and versatile

I have a couple of these. Like many other pullers it would seem, they don't do well on cast bullets. At least I haven't had good luck pulling cast with them, but perhaps I'm not doing something right as I haven't really used them all that much. They work great with jacketed (or plated) and are quite fast and easy to use.

Boolit Master
    So, to contribute to the purpose of this thread after my previous tread drift, I use an RCBS collet type puller. The only reason I chose this one is because I was able to buy the puller and a full set of collets at half price at a "store closeout" sale. Like others have stated, it does not do well with cast bullets. With lead bullets having much, if any, ogive on which to clamp, the collet will simply slip. The only cast bullets I have successfully pulled have been bore rider types and they were damaged so as to be unusable. I later purchased an inertia type puller, Frankford Arsenal, and it works for me with cast bullets. Thankfully, I've not had to pull all that many with either. Knowing that I usually ruin a cast bullet to pull it, I usually just use my loading press and some diagonal cutting pliers to grip with, then throw the projectile back in the casting furnace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12