Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 1917 screw size and thread

Boolit Master

1917 screw size and thread

I am working on a model 70 action that had the back screw broken off in the tang. I drilled it out, fairly successfully, but I need a new screw. I have stockmakers hand screws in the model 70 and the Enfield and they are not marked. I believe the screw that fits the best is the Enfield. I probably enlarged the hole slightly when I drilled out the broken bolt. De Haas lists the model 70 screw as 1/4 x 32. He doesn't list the 1917 Enfield screw size. Does anyone know the size of the Enfield screw. Does anyone have a rear Enfield or Model 70 rear screw? I had 2 model 70, feather weight, reject stocks. one had the corner split off the tip and the other had the side of the receiver ring split off. I cut both tips at an angle and put the good one on the one with the bad tip. I didn't get the bottom metal, so I converted the stock to a blind magazine. It was originally set up for the bottom metal and I filled it back in. I bought a triggerguard off from 1917 bottom metal and had a friend extend the front to reach the middle hole

Boolit Master
    I believe the Enfield is 1/4x30. Tried hardware stores, no luck. 1/4X28 was as close as I could come. I just ordered a set from Brownells...haven't received them yet.

Boolit Master
    Remington's are 1/4-28.

It has been a long time but I believe Win M-70's are 1/4-25. That's the reason you cannot go to the hardware store for them. You will need to go to Brownell's or someone like that.

Boolit Master
    De Haas says the model 70 is 1/4 x 32

Boolit Master
    Although 1/4-32 is not seen every day, it is a common thread. It is called "National Extra Fine"; abbreviated, "NEF" or "UNEF".

1/4-20 "National Course"
    1/4-28 "National Fine"
    1/4-32 "National Extra Fine"

There are also a bunch of thread pitches for 1/4" called "National Special" that range from 24 TPI to 56 TPI.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Don't for get the #12 - 28 , 1/4" will be loose in it ..... I wouldn't expect to see it Winchester but who knows what was done to a 50+ yr old rifle especially if it was bought as a project .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Old model 70's are 1/4 x 32, US mdl 1917's are 1/4 x 30. Neither are something you will find at the corner hardware store.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    For a quick run down look in the back of Frank de Haas Bolt Action Rifles book, quite a list there.

Win M54 and M70 1/4" x 32 tpi

Enfield 1914, 1917, and Rem 30, 720 1/4" x 30 tpi

Springfield 1903 and Krag 1/4" x 25 tpi

Brownells is your best bet, MSC supply does carry some as special thread

JW

Boolit Master
    Sorry, the above size for the 03 was what was in the back of my mind.