MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: New Bullet for .45 Cal Fast Twist

Perma-Banned

New Bullet for .45 Cal Fast Twist

As many of you know I recently had Tom at Accurate molds build me a Custom .50 Cal mold from the Lee S&W 500 bullet (49-440P) I absolutely love that bullet design, Big wide Meplat = Big Game HAMMER! I was looking through his Catalog and noticed he had a .460 S&W That looked nearly identical to the Lee S&W .500 Bullet, it is Catalog number 45-400S, It got my wheels spinning about a new bullet for my .45 Green Mountain Fast Twist To play around with, i Emailed Tom about it explaining the changes i wanted, He drawed it up for me and it is now in his Catalog, i Went off the length of the 11MM bullet, i went with .443 body diameter. I am looking forward to getting this mold and putting it through the paces, if this thing shoots good it will make a REALLY good hunting bullet for .45 Cal. Tom told me in Email the estimated weight with pure lead is 417 Grains, Here it is number 44-404S

Attachment 195205 Attachment 195204

Boolit Buddy
    Keep it up and you will force me to get a .45 cal! That will be a good one for sure.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    Keep it up and you will force me to get a .45 cal! That will be a good one for sure.
    LOL! You will NEVER regret a .45 LRH if you can find one, My .45 is the most accurate rifle i own and the funnest to shoot, It drives me nuts that I can't hunt elk with it here in Idaho, Like Idahoron said, its legal to hunt Elk with a .25acp here in Idaho, but not with our .45 Cal Muzzleloaders that we shoot a 400 plus grain bullet through, about as dumb as it gets!

Boolit Master
    You guys should visit NM for elk. Shoot just about whatever you want

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You guys should visit NM for elk. Shoot just about whatever you want

I bet that Non Resident License and Tag takes a thick wallet? And its probably a draw deal? Its over 700 bucks here for a Non Resident Elk. I enjoy Elk hunting, but not that much

Boolit Master
    It's 'only' $550 for nonresident elk But, Bighorn sheep is over $3,000

Yep, they are a draw. And you have to fight crowds some years. The last year I hunted was elk. We got to our area and it looked like a Scout jamboree. Seemed like every piece of flat land next to the road had a camper or tent on it and some big RV's in some spots. We went out two days and turned for home.

Boolit Man
    let us know how it shoots. I have been shooting a 45-465 bullet of Toms mold that a friend cast he shoots a .451 in his white rifle and I size to .450 in my gm 45 stainless no paper patching to it .
    Last edited by crossxsticks; 05-30-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crossxsticks View Post
    let us know how it shoots. I have been shooting a 45-465 bullet of Toms mold that a friend cast he shoots a .451 in his white rifle and I size to .450 in my gm 45 stainless no paper patching to it . resize to .446 when pp both shoot great for me.

I am excited to get this one and see how well i can get it to shoot, In my opinion The Lee S&W 500 design is about as good a hunting bullet as you will ever find. I am a FIRM believer in a Wide Meplat for a hunting bullet, and this bullet design definitely has that! I also have Tom working on a .54 Cal Version of the Lee S&W 500 as well, Gonna have him take the #49-440P I recently had him make for me and open it up to .533 body diameter, And widen the Meplat from .380 to .400-.420