Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Ashcroft lead pot thermometer...........impressive!

Boolit Mold

My new Ashcroft lead pot thermometer...........impressive!

Impressive, and I do mean impressive! I decided it was time to get a thermometer for casting and went shopping on the big auction site. I found this Ashcroft 200-1000 degree industrial thermometer and bought it for $18.50, brand new and in the box. The seller had a 100% rating so I jumped on it like a dog in heat. Needless to say I did even read the specs and was only concerned about the temp range. Well, it came yesterday and if bigger is better, I have the best damn lead pot thermometer money can buy. It's absolutely a monster and I'll have to build a mount to hold it in my pot or get a lot bigger pot. At least it has standard pipe threads at the base of the dial head so I can easily make a stand out of galv. pipe. My eyes are getting a little bad anyway so I should have no problem seeing this 5" dia. dial face. Here are the specs and I'll add a couple of photos to give you an idea how bad I screwed up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0006.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	195201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0007.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	195200
    Product Specifications
    Brand: ASHCROFT
    Condition: New without Factory Packaging
    Model: 50-EI60E-150
    Calibration (Min-Max): 200 - 1000 F
    Face Size: 5 IN
    Fitting Size: 1/2 IN
    Other: NPT
    Type: Temperature
    Shipping Weight: 1.50 lbs
    Shipping Dimensions: 29.25 x 6 x 6 in
    SKU: D528988 (IDN)
    Category: Instrumentation · Gauges
    Additional Notes: 15IN STEM LENGTH DIAL THERMOMETER

Boolit Master
    looks good to me from here, now all you need is one of those cast iron cauldrons we used to have for for boiling corn at large gatherings, use it for a lead pot and your good to go. Extreme casting !!!!!!!!!!!!! you could start a new reality TV show

Boolit Mold
    Hey, I never thought of that! I wonder if there is any call for cannon balls???? When I looked at the picture of it in the description on the auction you'd have thought it was just an average size thermometer since there was nothing in the picture to compare it to. Oh well, I'll make it work one way or the other. I wonder what this thing would cost a company to buy it. It sure looks expensive and well made that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    looks good to me from here, now all you need is one of those cast iron cauldrons we used to have for for boiling corn at large gatherings, use it for a lead pot and your good to go. Extreme casting !!!!!!!!!!!!! you could start a new reality TV show

Perma-Banned

That is a REAL casting thermometer

Boolit Man
    Took a quick look on Amazon - you got a deal!! One there goes for 118.00. Other sites had it for up to over 400.00!!

Boolit Grand Master

That's a common thermometer for industrial applications. You got a good deal at that price. It's range is spot on for a casting pot.

Boolit Mold
    Woody,
    Now I got a woody! I figure by the looks of this thing that it wasn't cheap. I actually bought it from NRI-Industrial tools so you'd figure they would know what it's worth. I just went into their active auctions and they have a lot of high temp thermometers up on auction right now. I found the one I should have bought. It's a 100-800f for $12.00 or best offer + shipping. It has a smaller 3" dial. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'll get by just fine with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by woody290 View Post
    Took a quick look on Amazon - you got a deal!! One there goes for 118.00. Other sites had it for up to over 400.00!!

Boolit Grand Master

Thermometers are most accurate at their midpoint. So that other one would not be a better option. I know we've never paid $180 let alone $400 for one. Temperature transmitters don't even cost that much.

That was a great find...only thing is, you'll have to stand up to see the dial as you sit and cast. Might need a step ladder too! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I just bought an Ashcroft a couple of days ago for my smoker. Paid over $50 and it's just a 3" face, 4" stem and 0-550f. Bought the Ashcroft over the Tel-Tru because the Ashcroft has a dial on the back allowing for calibration.

You got a great deal.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold
    No I won't. If you look at the side picture I posted the head is moveable. So, I can make a stand out of pipe and mount it above my pot and tilt the head/dial toward me. Should work perfect and it will keep the head away from the hot lead pot too. They do say to not keep making head adjustments. You should set it where you want and leave it or you could cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    That was a great find...only thing is, you'll have to stand up to see the dial as you sit and cast. Might need a step ladder too! . . .

When you get her all mounted and working be sure to post some pics of the project...OK?

Boolit Mold
    I certainly will post some pics. Darn Smokeywolf just reminded me that the dial face is broken on my smokers thermometer. I guess I'll just get another from them online, but it will be small with less temp range.
    When you get her all mounted and working be sure to post some pics of the project...OK?

Vendor Sponsor

Who sits and casts? I never want a lap full of lead. Only takes once>
    Chill Wills

I used one of those oven thermometers on my mould heater enclosure...don't know whether or not it actually reflects the exact temp. of the mold but it's working for me...I get first pour keepers most of the time.
    I have a broken lens on my pot thermometer...doesn't seem to affect it any.

Attachment 195220

Vendor Sponsor

I think you did great on both price and likely a better unit than the small, cheap, ones we use. Our small ones are fine if repeatable but may not be all that accurate and like smokeywolf points out; the ability to calibrate, is something I would like. I do not know if yours can, but it might.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    The broken lens part would be alright if the smoker were indoors, but it's outside and it's the size of a small fridge so that's where it will stay 24/7. Bugs, snow, rain and dirt will soon render it useless so I might just as well bite the bullet now and be done with it.
    I used one of those oven thermometers on my mould heater enclosure...don't know whether or not it actually reflects the exact temp. of the mold but it's working for me...I get first pour keepers most of the time.
    I have a broken lens on my pot thermometer...doesn't seem to affect it any.

Attachment 195220

Boolit Mold
    Yes, mine can be adjusted also. I put it in a pot of boiling water and it seemed to be right on the money as close as I could tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I think you did great on both price and likely a better unit than the small, cheap, ones we use. Our small ones are fine if repeatable but may not be all that accurate and like smokeywolf points out; the ability to calibrate, is something I would like. I do not know if yours can, but it might.

Oh...broken out! I was thinking 'cracked'....duuuh! I'll catch up in a minute or three! . . .

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Whelen2 View Post
    Yes, mine can be adjusted also. I put it in a pot of boiling water and it seemed to be right on the money as close as I could tell.
    You can calibrate in the 600-700F useful range by getting (maybe paying for) a few pounds of pure Pb and melting it. Then turn off the pot and watch as is cools. Watch closely. At 621.5 F the liquid Pb will turn to solid - all at once! Adjust accordingly.

I feel like I would like to have a new thermometer. Mine is repeatable, which meets my needs but is off on the high side about 25F.
    It would be nice to watch two thermometers, to see how they track together. But, again, that is just a frill. Someday.......
    Chill Wills