Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carpal Tunnel And handguns

Boolit Master
    Both of my hands have been done. But wrists are still not very good. I have trouble with semi auto pistols. When working the action by hand. I can only cycle my Shield a few times (maybe 8) and I have to take a break. I had an XD45 and I could only cycle that one about 3 times I couldn't do it any more.

Boolit Master

I take multiple prescription (scripts) for blood pressure control. Some of the side effects include:
    •numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
    •numbness and tingling of the face, fingers, or toes
    •numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips

Who is to say that these scripts in combination don't increase the symptoms? I too have that "tingling" and numbness often (I think) associated with CTS. I am pretty certain that mine is an induced side effect.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thanks poppy for the kind words, and everyone. I have noticed I sometimes drop things suddenly. I want relief thats for sure. And I dont want a life without shooting! Lord willing, i'll have it fixed and be good to go, like so many reports here.

I went to the hand doctor, and I got shots in both wrists. I dont like the shots. They dont hurt so much as they cause me to feel like I have constant irritation that is worse than I normally feel. The doctors said I do have mild carpal tunnel syndrome. They say that insurance companies wont let them do surgery until they try the shots and such first.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup you will have to try shots and physical therapy first before going to surgery. I had it done twice on my right hand, first time work related, second time when I jammed my wrist in the car accident(I bent the shifter forward an inch) causing everything to swell bad enough doc said I would lose hand function if I didn't fix it. They opened it up for 3 inches, cleaned out scar tissue, made sure the tendon had space to slide and sewed me back up. That was 3 years ago and unless I do something really stupid like run a nail gun for 4 hours it no longer bothers me.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I got carpal release surgery last year. All is fixed! He sent me over for some electro-probe testing and that showed that I wasn't getting full nerve transmission all the way through the carpal tunnel and I went right to surgery two weeks later without trying the therapy or shots. Blue Cross/Blue Shield paid for it too. Wrist is great now, I actually wish I hadn't waited so long, because I could have been feeling better a few years ago.

edit: My electro probe testing was painless. He simply clipped some sensors on my fingers and touched a metal probe to different places on my arm to see which fingers twitched. It wasn't a powerful shock at all. Much less than an electric fence or spark plug.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 10-13-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: add info
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Things must have changed since my experience with carpal tunnel. About 12 years ago I wore braces overnight. The pain was unbelievable. Had both wrist done with surgery a month apart. All is good now. No mention of shots or therapy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had my right hand CTS surgery about a month ago. Alternating between pain and numbness in my hand, sometimes shooting up to my elbow. Doc sent me for the electrode test (one of the most painful things I have ever experienced) and told me he could try shots but they usually dont work. We both agreed to skip the shots and go straight to the surgery. I was told to expect to be off work for 4 to 6 weeks.

The surgical procedure was quick, only lasted about 15 minutes, I was awake but "loopy" and talked to the Doc and surgical staff for the whole time. Wore a brace/splint for a week, then at two weeks had the stitches removed. Doc came in and took a look at the hand and said "Are you ready to go back to work? You are all good to go." I still have a little bit of weakness in my hand, but it is improving every day.

Boolit Master
    Off-road bike gloves have gel pads in the right spot for shooting. There's a choice of gloves that makes it more comfortable to wear when it's hot or cold. I keep a pair of mesh backs in my sander tool box.

Boolit Buddy
    How much does it cost?
    My wrists are bad enough that I do a house for 4 to 6 weeks and then I need a few months off.
    Skinning my first elk this year I pulled pretty hard and several weeks later they still hurt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123