Lee PrecisionLoad DataPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small ring Mauser 98?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bodean98 View Post
    175lt2,
    All small ring mausers are not created equal. All mod. 98 mausers are not created equal. Comparing your action to a modern production Husky would be like comparing a Model T to a Mustang.

A little math:
    Your action,
    Small ring (1.3") minus large thread shank (1.1") leaves .2". Divided by 2 equals .1" thickness of steel in the threaded portion of the ring.

Large ring (1.4") minus large thread shank (1.1") leaves .3". Divide by 2 equals .15" thickness of steel in the threaded portion.
    Small ring (1.3") minus small thread shank(.98") leaves .32". Divide by 2 equals .16" thickness.
    There is approx. 50% more steel in the second two examples than what your action is. I hope this helps in clearing up my meaning.
    I highly recommend posting your question on Mauser Central. Those fellows are experts regarding Mausers. Many of them are highly sought after 'smiths and examples of their work have graced the pages of magazines. There may even be some names you recognize. They can help you with your questions.
    well I think I should just stay on the safe side and use something lower pressure. 35 rem seem safe, I was also thinking about .357 herrett but I can't seem to find what the pressure limit is online or in any of my books? It should be easy to do, I've already built a 98 in 30-30 it feeds fine and I headspaced it on the shoulder not the rim

Boolit Master

The barrel will contain the expansion of any reasonable cartridge that will fit the action. If you are relying on the receiver walls to contain the pressure you are not following good practices. Though the 35 Rem is a good cartridge that I use, the 35x57 would be a much better choice because of feeding issues and you do not have to worry about factory loads being too hot.

Boolit Buddy
    The receiver walls do contain the expansion. That is all there is between the bolt/locking lugs and the chamber/barrel. Think in terms of the pressure trying to push barrel and bolt apart. The receiver ring is what prevents that from occurring. The pressure is exerted in all directions, not just radially. While it's not likely, you could conceivably crack the receiver ring by over torqueing the barrel against the barrel buttress.

Boolit Master

Most factory fit barrels are not fitted that tightly to the receiver-thread OD to thread ID. Until the barrel is butted to the receiver there is a little wobble. Any smith worth his salt will fit the barrel tighter but you should not rely on the receiver to prevent the barrel from expanding. If there is proper chamber wall thickness, the fit of the threads is only important to hold alignment and rigidity of the assembly.

No, I would not put a high pressure magnum on a small ring action, but I would use one for a .308 or a 7x57+P after putting some ports in the bolt and putting a flange on the front of the bolt sleeve.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is a bit late on this thread but I have several Kar98's. My first one I built 40 years ago , I turned the steps out of the barrel and chambered it the 8mm-06 Ackley improved. I've shot the hell out of it over the years and my loads are really walking the dog. Never so much as a hiccup out if it. 63.5 gr oh Re19 behind a 180gr Nosler runs 2980. Nothing to sneeze at. My second was a 280 AI and have never had a pressure issue with it. Right now I'm building a fast twist 280 on the Weatherby RPM case. I lengthened the magazine so I could seat my bullets out longer and am finishing up the stock on it. I threw it in a old military stock I keep around the shop and again, no pressure problems. I'm running 1.5 gr less powder than I use in my 7mm Rem mag and all appears to be golden. Great actions for lightweight builds.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Turkish Mauser that is a large ring with small ring threads. It is chambered in 6.5-06. I had a gunsmith barrel the action about 25-30 years ago and I put it in a McMillian heavy stock. Recently inspected the barrel as it had lost accuracy and found the throat very worn. I unscrewed the barrel out and shortened the chamber end by .070" and rechambered it with PTG match reamer. Have to shoot it yet to see if accuracy is better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12