Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEY ! I made an A-Maz-N tube smoker... (Maybe?)

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

HEY ! I made an A-Maz-N tube smoker... (Maybe?)

The story , there's always a story .

I have been wanting to try an A-Maz-N tube smoker for a while because I do cold smoke a bit . Have been using an old loaf pan punched full of holes with wood chips . Pretty iffy performance , have to relight several times every time I use it . Gets to be a torment after a while . Wanted to try one of these ;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-MAZE-N-TUB...oAAOSw5cNYLGV6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-MAZE-N-AMN...sAAOSwXSJXO3md

But I'm tight and figured I could make an 'industrial' version (I did oilfield work ..got to be heavy duty) . Truth be known ...I ain't done it yet . DougGuy put up a thread not that long ago , he got one and it worked good ...I NEEDED ONE ! I have suffered torment , heartache and sleepless nights thinking about owning one . Heck ..could change my whole life !

Was at Walmart a couple days ago , Saw some aluminum grill covers in the lawn and garden . My mind went through a synaptic spasm , my heart raced and something dangerous happened ...I got an idea !

This is the result of that moment ;

OK OK ! I know it's not 'industrial' but I whacked it together in 20 min . Cost bout 5 bucks to build (I'm not counting the Vienna sausage can because I ate them at lunch , can was 'repurposed' .'

I need to test fire it but only have wood chips , can't find pellets any where in town . Should I try it with chips or wait and order pellets by mail . Thank you for your response !
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-09-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

I've been wanting one as well for a while. I think I will try your method. The local Walmart sells pellets for smoking.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

I picked up one of those tube smokers made by charbroil for $10 bucks at Target, nice quality and works just fine. Alot better than paying $30 for the a maz n one.

Boolit Grand Master

I use sawdust in my Amazin smoker, it is the open top - not the tube.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

You want to burn it a couple times before using to get any coatings oils or preservatives off the metals before actually using it.

Boolit Master

I have one of the open top ones and have not had a successful smoke session with it. I even microwaved the pellets to make sure they were dry and still can't get them to stay lit. I end up just using the tray in the end. But I will keep trying, as I have two large bags of pellets to use up.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Thanks , I agree !
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You want to burn it a couple times before using to get any coatings oils or preservatives off the metals before actually using it.
    Thanks ! I agree .

Got some pellets ordered . Ought to get em in bout 9 days .

Pretty interesting idea for adding smoke to a grill.

Looked good to me Boaz!

Moderator Emeritus

Pellets need air flow to keep burning, if you don't have much they can go out. My pellet stove for heat uses a variable speed exhaust blower to pull air through the burn pot.

.................................................. ....UPDATE !

Called Tractor Supply and they had pellets (Dang I'm getting old ..should have thought to call them !) , Bought a 20 lb bag .

Got home and decided to experiment . Already had apple chips so filled a tube with chips and a tube with pellets .

From the get go the 'chip' tube was 'chain firing' , couldn't blow it out or smother it ...would just die . Lit it the last time and it just all caught fire and burned out . Forget using chips in these tubes .

Result ;

The pellet stick is another story ! Filled it with apple pellets an hour ago :

YEP ! Success ! Burnin like a champ . While I was at Tractor Supply I saw they had the grill screens individually in a bulk box for even cheaper than Walmart ! 98 cents each .

Nice work!

Been 2 hours and 15 min , still doin good ! Stick bout half burnt .

Wonder where that chunk of cheddar came from ?
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-13-2017 at 06:58 PM.

OK , I'm callin it , been 4 hours . Pellets are down to the can , figure it might have 30 min left to burn . It exceeded my expectations for length of burn .

Attachment 195478
    I made mine from stainless muffler baffle tube from Amazon. I think a 24" section was $15 shipped. I got two 6" and one 12". After cutting the sections, I slit the end in notches and bent them over. I use one of the 6" tubes for extra smoke in my pellet grill and when I need a little in my Weber gas grill.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 05-13-2017 at 08:54 PM.

I made my first tube, then broke down an bought one. My ' tight *** bohemian ' brother used mine once, had his own the next Day! I found a piece of stainless steel screen, bent it to form a 'v', pellets smolder perfectly to make smoke for my big smoker! Doesn't take many pellets to make my pork burgers ' perfect' on the gas grill. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Attachment 195478
    I made mine from stainless muffler baffle tube from Amazon. I think a 24" section was $15 shipped. I got two 6" and one 12". After cutting the sections, I slit the end in notches and bent them over. I use one of the 6" tubes for extra smoke in my pellet grill and when I need a little in my Weber gas grill.
    Looks good ! Stainless too ! Like the end folded over , the can on mine works but I'll try one with the end folded like yours . Going to make a couple of 6 inchers too .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Attachment 195478

It's kind of hard to see from the picture. Is the folded end welded or fastened closed somehow, or does it just stay bent closed?

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Vendor Sponsor

Nice! Those both look good!

I saw filtration elements for pipe strainers on ebay and Zoro that cold be purposed into a smoker tube. Perforated stainless about the same size as the Amazen smoker. I bet it's a standard made filter they just found some convenient caps for and stick them on there and sell it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast