RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite old timers and why

Boolit Master

Your favorite old timers and why

Taking a cue from a conversation in another thread, it goes without saying that we stand on the shoulders of giants, though I'm not sure that would be how they might see themselves. Somewhere between the mid 1990's and just after the Heller decision, handgunning as I've known it took a turn. Very rarely now does one see articles on handgun hunting, or new cartridges developed for hunting or long range shooting. I don't remember the last time I saw an article solely on either of these subjects. Perhaps I was lucky to come along when I did, while Skeeter was still writing, Ross Seyfreid was a regular, Mike Venturino was coming into his own, Bob Milek was still living and writing, Dean Grennell was publishing, Elmer Keith had recently passed but his work was widely referenced, J.D Jones was bringing out something new for Contenders every year it seemed. Now days I go to the range, drag our my Contender and someone will ask me what it is. Then there is a generation before them many of us know at least by name, men like Phil Sharp, Elmer Keith and Ken Waters who shaped not only handgunning as we know it, but shaped cartridge development and ballistics (internal, external and terminal) and shared with us their knowledge and experience and raised us up to a higher level.

I don't want this to come off as some old fart waxing nostalgic and wishing for the old days. Those days are gone and won't return. But every one of those writers and shooters gave me something, even if I can't say directly what it was. I've no doubt that Mike Venturino and Ross Seyfreid influenced my early learning about casting, probably laid the ground work that made me think I could do it too. And when I bought a Navy 36 cap and ball revolver that came with a round ball mould, what do you think the first thing I did was. Bob Milek wrote a short series of articles on beginning reloading/how to reload that shifted my thinking from "I'm not too sure about reloading" to "I'm buying a press". (bought a manual first, at his suggestion no less) One of the best guns/shooting/life books I've ever read is Elmer Keith's "Hell, I Was There"

Certainly the biggest influence was my Dad and the Saturday mornings we would spend shooting the 22 rifle (Springfield Model 120A) I was given for my 12th Christmas when we'd take off the tin and glass trash. All these years later those days are with me.

So, who were the shooters, writers, experimenters who influenced the paths you've taken in your shooting/reloading?

Boolit Master

Townsend Whelen, Julian Hatcher, Crawford Hollidge, L.F Moore, Phil Sharpe to name a few.

Boolit Master
    Add George Nonte to that list also...

Elmer Keith and Ross Siefried taught me to love wheel guns
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Skeeter Skelton and his "Me and Joe" stories gave me much pleasure. I enjoyed his writing very much.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Jack O'Conner, Elmer Kieth (opposites), Ken Waters, Vernon Speer, Phil Sharps, not so sure this can end. I enjoy reading and learning. There are also many, many VERY experienced and knowledgeable people on this board and I have learned a great deal here. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Wayyy before my time but I still refer to his work...Harry Pope
    Domari Nolo

So, who were the shooters, writers, experimenters who influenced the paths you've taken in your shooting/reloading?

Well, funny you should ask… Being on the tail end of the “boomer” generation I didn’t read the likes of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and Paco Kelly until recently (last decade or so). I have enjoyed the writings of Col. Cooper, Richard Mack and Massad Ayoob through the years.

My personal greatest influence was my Grandfather, who taught me to shoot and gave me a Remington single shot .22, that his father had given him. I was 12 years old at the time he gifted it to me and I still have it in my safe today. Being a U.S. Marine, my Grandfather expected me to make my one shot “count” so... lots of rabbits and tree rats (squirrels) ended up in the slow cooker.

Not exactly sure this is the answer the OP was thinking bout when he posed the question but… the good old boy from a tiny burg in North Carolina who married a sweet gal from Alabama was not only my Grandfather but, by far, my personal most influential shooting old timer.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    Bill Jordan, got to meet him and he autographed a copy of his book for me. Really nice guy!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Having almost literally cut my teeth on Winchesters, George Madis stands out as one who impressed me when I was young. Two more who immediately come to mind were my father who was a pretty well thought of gunsmith, and one of the first authors I read when trying to educate myself on firearms and ballistics, Dr. F.W. Mann's "The Bullet's Flight, the Ballistics of Small Arms".
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Well, I liked to read Patrick McManus back when. Very little useful info but once in a while he would have a nugget of wisdom. For instance it is best to take someone elses car fishing or hunting if the destination is remote and the going rugged. Or never try to get your deer home on a bicycle unless you are sure it's dead, Or in a car for that matter either. Oconnor was interesting to me as I fancied myself a rifleman.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Bob Milek convinced me I needed a T/C Contender. He also got me into shooting prairie dogs. I got my undergraduate degree in the 44 magnum from Elmer Keith. And Skeeter turned me on to the 44 special and taught me that you don't need a magnum for everyday shooting.
    A lot of the great writers/shooter are gone, but there are still some good ones around, but not many.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Was a big Skeeter Skelton & Bill Jordan fan growing up!

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Skeeter Skelton and his "Me and Joe" stories gave me much pleasure. I enjoyed his writing very much.

Boolit Master

All of the above - especially Ken Waters, Elmer and Skeeter. On a little bit of a different note - An outdoor humorist that I really enjoyed as a kid is Corey Ford. He did the "Minutes of the Lower Forty" column in Field and Stream - Along with a few books of his assembled stories of the same name and "Uncle Perk's Jug. They were stories for old guys who are still kids at heart.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I've got three centerfire revolvers.

S&W 586-3 6"
    Ruger Redhawk 7.5"
    Colt Officer's Model Special

The more I shoot them the more I love them. The Colt I picked up for a song and a dance. It's single action only, has a trigger job that's the best I've ever seen, and a trigger shoe. It's pretty certain that it was a Bullseye gun at some point. I only shoot light and midrange wadcutters through it. It shoots like a laser.

There's two guys at my range that want it so bad they're drooling. It's not in the best shape finish wise but they don't care. One of these days I'd really like to send it out for a refinish job. I'm sure Turnbull could make it look real pretty.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    Ken Waters, Finn Aagard, Elmer Keith and Al Miller are all favorites for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pope, Sharp, Keith, Cooper.

Outdoor Life humorist Patrick McManus. His characters, Rancid Crabtree and Retch Sweeney. "Crazy Eddie" Muldoon and the dog named Strange.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Mark Hampton is still writing. Super gentleman to spend some time with and hope to shoot with him again at the MOA in June.

http://gunsmagazine.com/no-shot-too-far/

I miss the old timers and sadly we have no one replacing them. Actually I think it's reflective of where the whole world seems to have gone.

Boolit Master

'Bout the only two names on my bookshelves that haven't appeared here are Theodore Roosevelt and Robert Ruark, both of whom, I feel, had considerable influence on my reading habits. Still have copies of Ruark's "Something of Value" and "Use Enough Gun" on the same shelf with the Hemingway, Roosevelt, Keith, Cooper, and Jordan.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-10-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Bob Milek was my favorite, and I wish I still had my 14" 35 Remington TC I bought because of him. Cooper was a great writer but he was a "Snob" and very single minded. I do remember all those great guys you mentioned. I'm not into Auto pistols except for my Ruger Mark II. There is nothing wrong with them it's just that I prefer Revolvers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast